Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

But who are these people who drop hundreds to thousands of dollars on a game that hasn't even released yet?

$1000 wouldn't dent my economy, but my common sense says the money could be better spent on something else.

Basically, they're nerds (like me) who have grown up and gotten jobs (like me), but have no immediate expenses (wife, girl, diseases, a house or a fancy car) to speak of (like me), and who lack any common sense what so ever.

I fear my common sense is the only thing separating me from the savages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Does it haunt you sometimes? In the deepest, loneliest night? That you could spend $1,000 on a video game and it wouldn't hurt anyone? Do you feel the yawning chasm of need?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I spent 25 dollars on this and I have no regrets. I kinda don't want to meet someone who would spend thousands of dollars on things like this in real life. I would amagin them to be either super rich and not care about money at all or someone with a really self destructive problem.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Why not both?

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Star Citizen 2.0?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Sent to me privately.

quote:

Good evening and Welcome to Goon Squad...or rather the House of Goons. It seems your announcement about the goons arriving isn't receiving the greatest welcome from many of the CoE community. I have my ears in every kingdom and it seems many are plotting against you guys. I am curious to know more about the House of Goons and chat with you a little bit about some things

Also, it seems my plan of making an exception for people who haven't given Lowtax his :10bux: and have Baron pledges is working. I've got some interesting prospects meaning we'll have some territory at launch.

I've been accepted as an official house leader and will be participating in the community round tables. Last one was done through voice chat but I'd estimate 80% of discussion was about the House of Goons

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/Guild-Recruitmet/7753-Goon-Squad-is-coming-NA
:getin:

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 21, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
:nsallears: what lies have you been telling this man

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 21, 2016

Fengo
Jul 4, 2016

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Sent to me privately.

Also, it seems my plan of making an exception for people who haven't given Lowtax his :10bux: and have Baron pledges is working. I've got some interesting prospects meaning we'll have some territory at launch.

I've been accepted as an official house leader and will be participating in the community round tables. Last one was done through voice chat but I'd estimate 80% of discussion was about the House of Goons

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/Guild-Recruitmet/7753-Goon-Squad-is-coming-NA
:getin:

PM me

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I ended up getting confused as to what day it was while I was overseas and missed out on the kickstarter. Really bummed but excited to play when and if the game launches proper.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I can't do PMs here. alexanderdelarge@outlook.com

Ziji posted:

I ended up getting confused as to what day it was while I was overseas and missed out on the kickstarter. Really bummed but excited to play when and if the game launches proper.

They're doing Kickstarter rewards on their website's store for a month starting in like three days.

Fengo
Jul 4, 2016
sent

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Sent you an email. Apologies for the delay.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

Thank you for donating to Lowtax's Anime Fund. Would you kindly make an introduction post in FYAD?

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
hello all :)

a link to a youtube collection about CoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S91m1MaBp-I

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
when can i spend $40 on this and play

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Eonwe posted:

Probably be a bit more than a year and a half. That's my guess at least.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
When they put up the web store you can spend $350 and get into the single player demo thing that's coming out this year.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

When they put up the web store you can spend $350 and get into the single player demo thing that's coming out this year.

If this isn't the world's biggest red flag that these people don't a loving clue of how to make an MMO then I don't know what is.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm not gonna lie this sounds really stupid, like some job simulator. REAL CRAFTING, GOTTA FARM AND EAT AND DRINK.

Then you realize that non-MMO games are doing it better. There's pretty much no reason to make a gankbox MMO any more.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
lol at the devs saying oh, we actually need like $3 million and not the 900k we asked you guys, so pls give us more money tia.

Orv
May 4, 2011

2DCAT posted:

lol at the devs saying oh, we actually need like $3 million and not the 900k we asked you guys, so pls give us more money tia.

Yeah I was coming here to post this. If you thought this was actually viable and going to happen before now, lol, but now especially.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
house of goon~~

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

2DCAT posted:

oh wow i'm just, wow man

they wwwhat??? so flabbergasted, the stakes were so high and now - poo poo..when am i ever gonna get to grow old in a multiplayer virtual environment

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

this game is such a clusterfuck that even noted bad game supporter lethality felt compelled to pull his money out for the first time ever http://fyre.it/vP9iTxdy.4

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Caspian, lead dev, apparently casually mentioned that they don't intend to enforce any kind of RMT rules.

So uh, that's that?

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.

Degs posted:

Caspian, lead dev, apparently casually mentioned that they don't intend to enforce any kind of RMT rules.

So uh, that's that?

So I can go all out RPing a chinese gold seller.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012

Degs posted:

So uh, that's that?

Is there a link to that?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

This thread has more activity than the game's development.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Calidor posted:

Is there a link to that?

It was said in chat. Someone quoted it for me in this thread.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/15050/clarification-on-rmt?page=2#post157123

quote:

Caspian - Today at 9:30 PM When it comes to selling in-game items in a real-world market we effectively have two choices. We can spend countless hours and resources on trying to stop and track people making money off their in-game items, or we can accept that their time has value to them. If people have a lot of time, but little money, want to use that as a way to create in-game items which they then sell to other players who have disposable income but less free-time, we view that as a win-win.

Caspian - Today at 9:32 PM Our attorney may warn us, and we may have to ultimately put in means to limit such activities, but it's not the direction we want to go with it. We'd rather allow people to make trades as they see fit.

Rahl Draikskorn Ⓥ - Today at 9:35 PM so, I have loads of free time, and I craft a ton of weapons I can sell those weapons for real money?

Caspian - Today at 9:35 PM @Rahl Draikskorn Ⓥ Unless my attorney says otherwise, we're not going to stop you.

Caspian - Today at 9:39 PM Look. My view on this has always been the same. People have, for too long, assumed that the only equitable way to play an MMO is through time. You spend time... more time... and yet even more time, to achieve some level of success in the game. But the reality is, that enforces the idea that the game is about the destination, not the journey. The game should be fun to play in its own right. We shouldn't gate peoples' progress based on time... not least of which because time isn't the only currency. Time = Money, we all know that. Every hour you spend in-game is time you could spend making money in our world. So you're making a choice.

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

eonwe posted:

You can spend $5,000 now, but you don't even get a jpeg of a castle.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
Thank God this game isn't P2W but rather Pay To Build!

Hail All,

With the introduction of our Exposition Point (EP) sale this week I wanted to take a moment and share the relative value of EP during exposition. This should give players a rough idea of how much EP they're going to want to purchase, if any, and what they can hope to buy with their EP. Note that the values listed below are relative, are subject to change, and are just a guideline.

Before we jump into the numbers though I wanted to briefly remind people what EP are, and what their purpose in Chronicles of Elyria is.

First, Exposition Points are a virtual currency that is available between now and launch that allows people who have a Bloodline Package and above the ability to customize their Pledge Package to some degree. This can be witnessed in the awarding of EP that comes with each package above Bloodline. Let me emphasize again, EP items will not be available after launch, as the Bloodline+ packages will no longer be available.

Pay to Build

But, EP serves a second purpose in Chronicles of Elyria beyond just package customization. When a player enters a new MMO on launch day, the world is teaming with beautiful settlements, sly merchants, experienced trainers, and a multitude of organizations and schools in which to join and gain faction with. In most MMOs these settlements are entirely designer-driven, and the merchants, trainers, and factions are entirely NPC-based.

That's because the settlements, trainers, and merchants are props in the world, a backdrop against which the action of the game happens. But in Chronicles of Elyria the settlements, trainers, merchants, and organizations are a core part of the game and cannot be ignored. The creation and destructions of settlements, the gaining of skills through a master-apprentice relationship, and the development of new economies are some of the things that make Chronicles of Elyria unique and exciting, and are best done with other players.

For that reason, we've chosen to seed the world's crafters, merchants, trainers, guild leaders, head masters, and settlers with the players who fund the game during early development. That is, all the roles listed above will be pre-populated during a three-month period of time just before launch called Exposition. It's during this time that the players can build out their settlements, set up their shops, organize their guilds and schools, and train in their skills - all in preparation for launch day. That way, when the servers finally open, the larger percentage of players will be joining a server that's already filled with exciting plot-hooks, guilds vying for power, and settlements that are mid-construction on exciting new buildings. In short, players will be joining bustling worlds and thriving economies, with the early players welcoming them in, rather than a land-rush of new, unfamiliar players with the uninformed educating the uninitiated.

But, it's also important to remember that these early pioneers in Elyria, while playing an important role in Elyria's history, are at the mercy of the same laws as the rest of the player-base. And, just like players who come in after launch day, anything that can be gained can be lost, and the relevant question with respect to nobility is when they'll lose their titles, not if. Again, those who participate in Elyria have done so to help build a functioning world for others on launch day, not to gain any kind of long-term advantage.

That all said, let's look at the relative EP values.

Kits

As discussed during our Kickstarter, we wanted to provide a set of kits which players could purchase to easily customize their pledge packages. These kits are limited to one per type, per account, and are capped by having the relevant titles or tiers. The kits are:

Requires Exposition Access to purchase

Profession Kits: 100 EP ea.
These kits provide the starting equipment, tools, and patterns or techniques necessary to begin your occupation as a crafter, gatherer, explorer, or champion. (ex. Smithy kit, Carpenter Kit, Miner Kit, Soldier Kit, etc...) If the game supports a profession, chances are good there will be a kit available to help you get started. Individual items value at 20-40 EP.

Storefront Kits: 125 EP ea.
Take your profession to the next level with a storefront kit. These kits provide the fixed location assets necessary to set up a shop, storefront, or other establishment on leased land. They'll typically include blueprints and resources for a small building, crafting stations or other furniture, and additional decor to help give the location a welcoming feel. (ex. forges & anvil, bar & tables, loom & spinning wheel, display cases and racks, etc...) Individual items value at 25-50 EP.

Land-use Kits: 175 EP ea.
The land-use kits help to further establish your profession by providing a parcel of land on a non-coveted parcel in which to build your commercial or residential building, or to use the land for agricultural purposes such as farming, horticulture, breeding, or pet-rearing. (ex. stables, stalls, fields, bee hives, plant boxes, seeds, saplings, etc.) Individual items range from 10-100 EP.

Requires Mayor / Baron title to purchase

Settlement Kits: 625 EP
Settlement kits are designed to help customize your settlement. They'll typically include a set of pre-made, pre-furnished buildings and a small amount of infrastructure to create the type of settlement you want to create. This could be a mercantile settlement, one focused on harvesting of resources or agriculture, or the production of goods and items. (ex. trade hub, mining town, sea port, farm belt). Individual items range from 100 EP to 250 EP.

Defense Kits: 325 EP
These kits are designed to add a small number of defenses to a settlement in the form of a large amount of fencing and a couple of lookout towers. These are sufficient for basic defense of inner settlements, but not for baronies. Fencing is generally around 10 EP for 32m of fencing, plus 25-50 EP for the lookout towers.

Requires Count title to purchase

Infrastructure Kits: 1,250 EP
As a count, your job is to help capitalize on the resources of your county - natural and otherwise, and to ease the distribution of those resources. Infrastructure kits help work toward that goal and include a set amount of road, but then further include things like mining equipment and rigs, waterwheels, etc. Infrastructure kits are fairly biome specific, but then further focus on one of the organic or inorganic resources prevalent in the county. (ex. Mining infrastructure, lumber infrastructure, farming infrastructure, etc.)

Requires Duke or Royal Package to purchase:

Religion Kits: 5,000 EP
Each religion in Elyria has their own deities, or lack thereof, with their own rituals, ceremonies, shrines, places of worship, and religious symbols. The Religion kit contains a collection of religious buildings, shrines, and decor to distribute throughout the Kingdom to, increase the overall presence of the religion. Individual items range in value from 10 EP for religious items, all the way up to over 1,000 EP for a large cathedral.

Technology Kits: 5,000 EP
Each biome has a specific set of resources, and specific needs. However, within each biome there is often more than one way to solve a problem and the technology kits offer the additional of universities and schools to help foster learning in specific areas, as well as the introduction of specific technologies into the kingdom which may help solve problems in new ways. Technology kits will include the buildings for schools, as well as the patterns and techniques for advanced technology. Individual EP ranges from several hundreds to a thousand for the colleges and universities, to 100+ EP for the patterns and techniques, depending on level of advancement.

Culture Kits: 5,000 EP
The culture kits, like the religion and technology kits, are meant primarily for Kings, however have been made available to Dukes just in-case they want to focus the culture of their duchy on something other than, or in addition to, the overall culture of the kingdom. These can be things such as a cultural focus on military training, performance & the arts, food, etc. As with infrastructure kits, culture kits are biome specific and help to focus the culture of a region through the placement of additional buildings and structures.

Military Kits: 10,000 EP
The military kit includes defensive structures such as ramparts and castles, as well as siege equipment such as trebuchet, catapults, etc. Individual items range from several hundred to several thousand EP.

Quality level

The prices for the above kits are set such that each community member can customize their package with the EP that was included with their package. However, that's by no means the extent of the customization that can be done. The contents of all the above kits are of what one would consider standard or common quality. Players are free to purchase additional items a la carte which will be of higher quality. In general, we follow a tiered approach as follows:

Common: 1x
Uncommon: 2x
Rare: 5x
Treasured: 20x
Legendary: 100x
This means that to determine an approximate price of a rare equivalent of a common item, one can multiply the common item by 5. So, for example, a common building that costs approximately 100 EP would cost approximately 500 EP. Similarly, if fencing costs about 10 EP for 32m, it might cost 1,000 EP for 32m for the best available stone rampart.

A la carte items

The above packages give a decent idea of what kits we're planning and what you can expect out of them, however, to give a bit more detail, here's a listing of a la carte categories which would be included in some of the above kits, and which can be purchased separately. Again, the prices are going to change somewhat, and are included here so people can gauge the relative value of their EP and its buying power. If the values below don't line up precisely with what's listed above, that's because the kits above are all provided at a 20% discount of the items they contain. So if a kit meets your needs, it's always better to buy the kit than the individual items.

All values below are the common quality costs. Use the previous quality list to calculate higher quality items. For example, if a piece of equipment would normally be 35 EP, the rare equivalent would be approx. 175 EP.

Resource Stockpile: < 10 EP for a stack
Crafting Materials: < 25 EP for a stack
Contracts: < 25 EP for a stack
Patterns & Techniques: < 50 EP
Blueprints: < 100 EP
Tools: < 10 EP per tool
Containers: < 25 EP
Crafting Stations: < 50 EP
Equipment (clothing, armor, weapons): < 75 EP per item
Store Inventory: 100 EP+ for a few random common items
Decor & Lighting: < 25 EP per item
Furniture: < 50 EP for a set
Livestock / Bee hives: < 50 EP for a small stock
Pets: < 50 EP for a single trained pet
Mounts: < 100 EP for a single mount
Transportation: < 100 EP
Caravan Wagon: < 200 EP
Siege Equipment: < 250 EP
Crops: < 100 EP for a field
Plants & Trees: < 150 EP for a set of saplings
Land: 100 EP+
Furnished buildings: 200 EP+
Fences & Walls: 10 EP / 32m
Roads: 25 EP / 32m
Schools & Academies: 750 EP+
Cathedrals & Shrines: 1000 EP+
Well, that's a small sample. After the v3 website goes live we'll get the actual EP store set up so you can spend your EP.

Yes, you too can buy a Legendary Castle!!! Hurry up folks!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Just.... Lol

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

looking forward to dying of old age in a persistent online multiplayer environment

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Mr. Pickles posted:

looking forward to dying of old age in a persistent online multiplayer environment

If you can tolerate the :nignog: you can already do that in Mabinogi a game that actually exists.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?
So this EP poo poo is like minecraft for people with more money than sense?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's insanely cool that it's profitable to be an idea guy now thanks to kickstarter

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
I think I don't like this kind of this development... but we will see. Some infos aabout public beta?

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012

XenJ posted:

I think I don't like this kind of this development... but we will see. Some infos aabout public beta?

Public beta?

WTF?

It's still in pre-alpha fairyland, where they announce new cool ideas every few weeks and put their in game currency "on sale" for 10% off and dumb schmucks think it's a great opportunity to stock up.

At least this isn't Pay to Win. Their CoE named it Pay to Build, so that makes it entirely different!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mr. Pickles posted:

Assuming we all don't IRL first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
This has gotten so overly P2W that even some Dude that bought not one, but TWO of the $10,000 Buy 2 King packages posted a rant about the game becoming overly P2W... LOL

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/19362/new-ep-store-policies

New EP Store Policies

Adam Burrfoot
Rank 12
251 Posts
October 2015
I was requested to put this in a new fresh thread as opposed to it being buried inside of a thread that has effectively died or turned deconstructive so here goes:

I may be alittle biased, but I would much prefer a more dense player population per server than opening up additional servers. I think that a middle ground can and should be found, and if that means that SBS has to draw back what they were planning to have on the EP store based upon community feedback then that is what should happen.

Personally I was fine with CoE's form of Pay to Win because it was surmountable in game. Yes I can buy a title or two or three, however people who are more coordinated and skilled than I am can compete and take those titles from me. Further, I was fine with base level kits / buildings / things being purchasable from the EP store. So long as people have the ability to build the same things that I can buy from the EP store on day one, that is again something that is surmountable.

The selling of rare / legendary / etc things in the EP store for lots of money, then claiming that specifically the research and buildings are research and buildings that a normal non-paying player would not be able to build / reach for a year - two years is turning a surmountable advantage into an insurmountable advantage. If I am in a Kingdom, or Duchy, or County and I want to be a swordsmith. Then someone else in my Kingdom or Duchy or County purchases a legendary sword blueprint / research. There is no longer any point for me to be a swordsmith because I will not be able to compete with that person, at all. Why come buy my crummy swords when that guy can not only create crummy swords but can also create legendary ones? So now I need to switch gears and I go with armorsmithing.... because why not. Oh look.... someone else in my group purchased a legendary armor blueprint, well crap. Etc and so forth.

It was my expectation of this game that to get higher quality things, and to progress in research would take player skill. With the latest plans for the EP store we flipped that on its head and said that not only will the people with the most money have the most influence / assets available to them when they get in game, but now they will have further access to rare / high quality materials, buildings, research and the like that make them completely insurmountable for a year possibly two years. If the EP store stays as it is, I can not blame anyone for not wanting to be on the same server as Vornair or Ghettomaster. We have all of the potential to grab up the majority of these high quality / rarity cash grabs from the EP store (sorry Caspian I can't see it as anything other than that at this current moment), and snowball all of those insurmountable advantages to be head and shoulders above any other community on our server. I think that is a very poor outlook for those servers, and I hope that the development team can see that moving forward.

Yes, we realize that the game is not meant to be balanced its meant to be a simulation, and in the real world some people are born in the US and some are born in Djibouti. However, simulationist game or not, it is a game and people are all subject to competition. The devs have said themselves that every facet of this game is PvP you against other players. You want to farm your farm is competing with other farms, you want to smith you are competing against other smiths, you want to engage in officially sanctioned PvP you are competing against other official military powers. That means this game is competitive, I would highly encourage that the team decide that that they can not give an advantage paid for in cash an insurmountable edge thus killing that competition. The "it can be taken from you" argument gets invalidated by the amount of advantage it gives being so valuable that it is now required for a community to rally around that advantage and protect it so that the community benefits from said insurmountable advantage. "it can be taken from you" arguments only work when / if the advantage you are being given is reasonably surmountable.

Anywho, I kind of wrote a novel there. I feel strongly about the subject. Anyone who watched the latest episode of the town crier can see our opinions on it fairly clearly. I am hoping that even the champions of SBS's message / vision (which I consider myself to be) can take a pause and understand the ramifications of this version of the EP store coming to fruition. Not just from a competition in game standpoint, but also how many players are going to turn away from this game now. How many people did we just kick in the arse away from this game because they now feel like they cant afford to be competitive and achieve their dreams / win condition for this game simply because they didnt have enough money. "I can never take Adam's crown because he has far to much monies and everyone will rally around that monies to gain all of the advantages they can bring to bear, thus uniting them around that player's wallet even more so than before. My win condition will never happen now so I guess I'll just call it a quits pack up my bags and move on to the next thing." . Surmountable vs Insurmountable. If you think that isnt a discussion that is happening all over the community right now, not just regarding Vornair (which even before now people have been looking at Vornair in that light but again, difference in surmountable vs insurmountable) but regarding any community that has deep pockets in this game or any one who has deeper pockets than you in this game but has the same win condition as you... These conversations are happening, and they are hurtful to this game in my honest opinion. Other companies are capitalizing on it in order to capture a bigger portion of the market share. This is a big deal, we as a community need to realize it, then decide what... if anything, we are going to do about it.

Personally, my suggestion to the community and studio, in the best interests of the game, is to remove any plans / ideas to offer higher quality / rarity items from your EP store pipeline. Those items should be gotten through player skill and work in game, not through how big my wallet is. Leave only things in the EP store that are build able / acquirable within the first month of the game. If I as someone who has spent nothing on EP in the game cant build or start building one of these buildings / items / gather x y z that is available on the store within the first month of launch then you are giving to much of an advantage to that wallet.

From a marketing standpoint to do anything else is to absolutely invite people to look at your game as hugely P2W, which it always has been to an extent but it was surmountable so I accepted the explanation of the studio. Pushing that scale of P2W to insurmountable will not bode well for this game in the current market. The amount of people who have been completely screwed by games going P2W in the past has left a horrid taste in all of our mouths, to the point where this is marketing suicide in this industry.

Additionally the marketing folly that comes back into play is that with limited time rare / high quality items on the store and the ability to gift them, you just asked for a grey market RMT to be set up. We have dealt with fall out regarding this multiple times now, the answer from the devs was that we would create mechanics in the game that deter any point or any gains to be made by RMT, then upon the announcement of what will be available in the EP store the studio literally made the biggest, easiest case for someone to set up a RMT site and make great gains on it. There are only 10 of this item on the store, thanks I'll buy them all and sell them back to the community for 10x the price I paid. Oh and while I am at it I will keep at least one of each of the high quality / rarity research plans so that in the long term I can sell copies of these high quality / rarity items that I am producing in game just to keep money coming my way. It is an RMT site's wet dream, not mechanics that would deter / devalue any use of RMT.

Again, rant over, but these are legitimate concerns that can no longer be answered with a simple "But they can be taken from you." My answer to that is, if things stay this way, good luck trying to take any of the advantages away from a group like mine. I can confidently say that these advantages in the hands of my group will equate to a completely insurmountable Kingdom in literally any and every aspect that we choose to go with. If that is a problem with me, it should be a problem with you too.

Thanks.

TL-DR

And for you folks who use the argument that we dont know exactly what the items do yet so hold your horses.

The root of the issue is this: From the outside (those who havent backed CoE yet, the MMO market perspective) looking in they see something that you are paying 100x more for, either needs to give a level of advantage / value associated with it. Thus Pay to Win. or the only other alternative is that you are paying 100x for something that doesn't give any additional advantage and is more of an aesthetic thing in which case the studio is making a cash grab.

There is no inbetween from the outside looking in. The mechanics of the EP store as they have described them can only be way to far down the realm of P2W or they are making a cash grab. Either way is absolutely terrible for PR / Marketing.

I prefer to believe that this isn't a cash grab, as the studio has told us multiple times that they do not need any additional funding from the community. Therefore its better in the long run for the actual case to be that perhaps the Studio didnt realize or see how far that advantage can be pushed in the right hands, or that they didnt realize the impact those advantages being available would have on the community. Or that it doesnt really give you that advantage and is all for story, however thats not what the market sees.

Now I will also admit it is possible, being a member of this community who is familiar with the Studio, that the studio literally just thought these were cool things to offer to the community and didnt think about how it would be auto assumed that a 100x price means a 100x yield / benefit. Or that it would be assumed that a 100x benefit is clearly a huge overwhelming / insurmountable advantage. Or perhaps the extra cost is associated with just limiting these high quality resources and the like, however due to lack of information there is absolutely nothing we can do but speculate. However, I would hope that everyone here can see that regardless of the intent from the studio this has ramifications in the market and from a PR standpoint that is absolutely concerning to us as a community.

More Clarification

(From page 14)

Nope no King tier information drop. This post as I said before, is me putting together the concerns of 300+ people who have private messaged me 4000+ times over the last week with these exact concerns regarding the EP store.

As a community leader it is my job to represent them and ensure that their concerns are being seen by the Studio.

It is kinda interesting how some people on this post are focusing so closely on semantics instead of looking at the core issue. Which is from the outside looking in the current model for CoE is P2W and continues to move further down the path of P2W. That the current iteration of the EP store, with information currently available looks to give even more advantage to the people with large pockets in the game. Not only can I buy 2 Kingdoms I can buy even more advantages to bundle up to a completely insurmountable community. So not only can I put a strangle hold on the politics facet, I can put the same level of strangle hold on the various industries, religion, culture, military, etc, etc, etc. Just because of how deep my pockets are. That is the concern of the community from the outside looking in, which I have raised here.

Again, personally if the EP store stays as is its not going to push me or my community away from SBS, heck we benefit the most from it. However, the core issue has nothing to do with the current backers of the game and everything to do with how this game is received by the rest of the market and what impact that will have on CoE in the long term. This is a marketing / PR issue, more so than a mechanical issue as many of you have already pointed out that we dont know the specific mechanics. However, what we do know is that this is turning people (lots of people) off from CoE. In this phase of development that is a domino effect.

Other Information

I highly encourage you all to also read this post as it is extremely valid for the folks internal to the community to calming peoples fears. It could help with the outsider's perspective, however, a typical outsider isnt looking at our forums they are looking at officially released information directly from the devs.

• Locked thread