Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martman
Nov 20, 2006

How do people fall for these? This is not a real game. It is a fake game; a list of ideas. I'm sure the developers have good intentions and big ideas, but they do not have anything close to a game. If they did, their media would include more than 3D art. Like really? They have an "advanced, AI controlled story-engine?" And it's going to create their story content for them? Oh right, and players will build the dungeons for them. And it's coming out within a year. Please find someone you trust to handle your money for you if you believe stuff like this.

Now all this is pretty much par for the course when it comes to MMO hype, but what I don't get is how Contracts, Property Law and Identity Theft became the big ideas to hype your imaginary MMO with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oh wow, I sure have egg on my face. This youtube person claims to have totally seen video of the game in action and is definitely not a shill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S91m1MaBp-I

And he has this to say about it!

quote:

As for combat systems, all we know is that they will be using Motion Capture for the animations, and Inverse Kinetics (something like that). No Tab Targeting or Hotbars. The game blends Player and Character skill.
Wow, that definitely sounds like a Real Combat System! Geez where do I put my money?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kimsemus posted:

What is it with games and "skill based" systems? They all universally turn out bad when that phrase is used IMO
It's something people say when they don't understand why previous MMOs are the way they are. Basically a sign that they think making an MMO is just like in this Goat Simulator trailer.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

no exposed tits and stomachs gameplay in this game

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thank god, none of those lovely standard MMO quests. Instead I can take out a contract with another player... to walk somewhere... and pick up 10 potions... and bring them back? But now I have the threat of legal action against me if I breach my contract! Yay!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

At least that has the potential for some interesting player interaction. Not to mention how the potions are acquired (bartering with actual players, crafting them yourself, stealing from a shop at night after hours). Now imagine a scenario where you're picking up potions for some group of players preparing for some sort of Guild v Guild battle, rival guild has made a deal with the town herbalist/alchemist/whatever, they go into battle, arrows come flying, they're all hurt, take a swig of the potion, and they start dropping like flies. Point is, it's infinitely more involved than the modern MMO.
Nah, point is, all of that is made up and imaginary.

They're doing this classic "uhhh anything could happen!" PR thing where they're pretending that every other MMO just intentionally stopped players from having fun because they were afraid of the consequences or something. It's infinitely more involved? Why? How? Because they said there's contracts in the game that let you do whatever you want somehow?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"a bunch of mechanics that provide meaningful player interaction"
Like what?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Player economy, contracts, skill based crafting, housing, farming in a game where eating/drinking is actually a necessary thing so it isn't optional, player run towns/cities and the player politics that come naturally from that sort of thing.
Oh wow it has an economy. My bad.

Also quests that you get punished for not doing fast enough.

Also you draw a picture of an axe to build an axe, I'm sure that will remain fun past the first time.

Housing is great in lots of games, what are they adding? Oh right people will break into my home and gently caress me over.

And yay more chores and responsibilities. Does my character get heart disease if I eat the wrong foods too?

I understand if you think I'm just looking at the worst case of all of these things, but the problem is that they've given you the barest suggestion (basically "freedom!") and you're running with it in your imagination like people always do with these games. Don't trust game makers when they say "ummm it's ok we'll build actual systems for this stuff later" because it's hard to do that, and the more they talk without being able to back it up the more obvious it becomes that they're making stuff up as they go. That stuff about programming being easy is completely laughable, and constructing systems to make a sandboxy MMO world and economy function day-to-day is also very hard. When they talk about their systems they seem to pretty much spew bullshit like "uhh combat will involve inverse kinematics."

Martman fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

When a game exists primarily in your imagination, you can do all of that and more.

• Locked thread