Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
can we please mark of shame everyone who contributes to the kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Did you code the shaders yourself or did you buy the the same time you bought the prefabs?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Kimsemus posted:

Motion Capture and "Inverse Kinetics."

What is it with games and "skill based" systems? They all universally turn out bad when that phrase is used IMO

I blame sword art online

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I can't believe after seeing what happens when you give prelaunch money to games that actually exist, people are willing to give money to prelaunch games which don't exist.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The Repopulation (before IF poo poo the bed four months before release) - dead
Albion Online - full loot pvp
Shards Online - middlewear not a game
Gloria Victis - lol rent mount and blade ripoff
Camelot Unchained - there is currently nothing there
I hear Das Tal/Crowfall is doing alright - crowfall disappeared up its own clique appeasing rear end
Elite Dangerous - not a mmo
Project Gorgon - it delivered something the way I am bread delivered something
Star Citizen - lol?

If a full loot pvp mmo somehow makes it out of prelaunch without dying it will be DOA because nobody will stick around long term

Moral of the story - kickstarting mmos is dumber than preordering mmos

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jimlit posted:

I think the real moral is full loot PvP is loving stupid and has only ever worked in two games ever. It only exists in our modern age as a tool to rob angry repressed dorks of their money.

What game has it worked in that only kept a player base because there was no other option? Like there is DayZ but its not a complete or conventionally released game. The only other thing I can think of is UO but post-trammel everyone fled open pvp for the safety of carebear island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Asehujiko posted:

I could see an opening for a an EQ-WoW type MMO since there's 7 million people who played WotLK that aren't playing WoD and Rift is dead/dying. Another gankbox, not so much.

The people who played wrath by and large now have real lives and don't have the time for a mmo. The people who were our age are playing mobas instead now.

• Locked thread