Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
This looks really cool. I'm intrigued. Any ETA? This is a brilliant design because it keeps the economy alive and keeps progression going pretty much all the time.

Holy gently caress. This is sounding like the best features of various role playing gamemodes found in Garry's Mod and Altis/Cherno Life from ARMA. If they can deliver on this, they have something extremely special on their hands.

quote:

Identity

In Chronicles of Elyria, a character and their identity are two separate things. The character represents the physical body, while the identity represents the intangible parts such as the character's name, reputation, and persona. And, much as in our world, in Chronicles of Elyria a character's identity is never displayed by default.

When you approach a character you've never encountered before there's no floating nameplate above their head that identifies who they are, what "class" they are, or any other information. The same is true for you. When you first enter a new town, nobody around you will have the slightest idea who you are.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

jabro posted:

I started getting a huge Mortal Online vibe as I read the OP. Not a good thing. Games that are ambitious as hell usually have one outcome.

Mortal Online is a product of its time. Began development in 2005, released closed beta in 2008 while competing against Age of Conan. I mean, their combat model was optimized for DSL connections and dual core hardware. I'm sure if Mortal Online were being developed now, it would be much more in line with what people expect when they say "we're using the M&B combat model!"

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Uziduke posted:

SoulboundStudios

This game will be bad. The Soulbound feature in MMOs is the single worst thing that was ever implemented.

These Jokers used it as their company name, so the game will be bad.

I'm curious about that too. Why would they name their sandbox MMO company on the most un-sandbox MMO feature in existence?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
loving hell, I'm starting to believe this is a real thing.

http://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/969-DJ-12-Identity-Disguises-and-Reputation
http://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/1203-DJ-14-Player-Housing--Architecture--Construction

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 27, 2015

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

Oh look, a new mmo from an unknown developer, promising all the things nerds love. Where's the button to preorder my $200 Collector's Edition ?

That's coming in like two or three months. Kickstarter.

I said come in! posted:

The screenshots remind me of Archage where they are 100% bullshots and the actual gameplay will look no where close to that good. Anyways this game isn't going to work, the style of gameplay the devs are going for is not what keeps people interested in MMOs, this title is going to bomb hard like all of the other sandbox MMOs before it.

To be fair, we haven't seen a proper sandbox game since Galaxies. Darkfall was basically the equivalent of a child going "AND THEN AND THEN AND THEN AND THEN AND THEN" when every reasonable person looked at it and said "yeah, this isn't a good design". Mortal Online was promising, if it were to be released now but there's no way they could have done the M&B-style active combat justice in a time where most people were still on laughable connections. The tech just wasn't there for 2010.

So yeah, the last actually released sandbox game we got was 2010? It deserves a couple more tries.

Albion looks like it'll be quite successful and I'd consider that a decent to good example of one.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 28, 2015

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I gotta be fair to these guys, they're at the very least capable of generating content. Programming is easier than producing something visual that someone else has in their head so I'm not worried about the prototype. I'm just not quite sure how well this will all mesh together, especially on a larger scale.

At the very least, it'll be a pretty looking game with very flawed mechanics. Best case scenario, they are able to sort out what works, what doesn't work, what is fun and what isn't.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 4, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
They just posted on their Facebook that the offline demo will be coming out this spring as planned, with a crowdfunding campaign. Awesome.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Well, I was going to buy $200 worth of Star Citizen ships but I'll put that towards this instead. Looks loving great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1JcO645BA

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

nigga crab pollock posted:

nah man zunes were dope. itunes was really that bad

i bought the ZuneHD for this poo poo, it was amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-GeWRQ6xRk

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Byolante posted:

I can't believe after seeing what happens when you give prelaunch money to games that actually exist, people are willing to give money to prelaunch games which don't exist.

The greater evil here is not having a game like this exist at all. I'd imagine their offline demo will be used to promote the Kickstarter campaign too so I'll get to see if I like what's been done so far beforehand.

Crowdfunded sandbox games have generally delivered/are delivering on what's been promised. Black Desert/ArcheAge were shitshows because they were something else entirely until the Korean market didn't like it and they took a complete 180 on the design.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Shy posted:

Which ones are you talking about?

The Repopulation (before IF poo poo the bed four months before release)
Albion Online
Shards Online
Gloria Victis
Camelot Unchained
I hear Das Tal/Crowfall is doing alright
Elite Dangerous
Project Gorgon
Star Citizen

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Lady armor looks cool

no exposed tits and stomachs in this game

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Combat/Aging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXLJMnxlmpc

Kickstarter in 2 weeks

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 23, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Better look at the combat. Looks really Souls-esque
https://twitter.com/SoulboundStudio/status/723888441184911361

lemonslol posted:

My theory is that games like this--if they happen to ever come out of beta--fail because they are too big for their population. In my opinion, if the world wasn't supposed to be " largest game ever (TM)" with "Best features ever made (TM)". but, instead, just a solid game; maybe a small world, and a core set of features and then the game would expand if people even enjoyed it.

This is why Shards is looking really good.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

It does. Go look at the third person Kings Field (what became DeS) combat prototypes.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Are you a NEET that plays MMOs all day? Well, looks like you'll only have to pay for the game once
https://chroniclesofelyria.com/news/4683-DJ-17-Bolstering--EarntoPlay

Khako posted:

ah man, that generic-type combat does not compare to dark souls 3 right now. Souls can get away with it's nice feel for combat because it doesn't rely on trying to be an mmo(:words: server architecture :words:). I can guarantee that this team cannot pull off a souls-esque feel in their mmo, because no-one can. I hope I'm wrong eventually because it would be kickass. Dark Souls feels responsive with everything you do, there'll be some moments where it doesn't go well but generally it works because your actions are instant. It just won't feel the same in a client-server environment.
This is what I'm worried about, they can make all this awesome poo poo that runs over a local network at a convention but unless you have perfect systems for latency compensation, it will get "optimized" when they actually have to get this all playable for people on two opposite ends of a continent.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 29, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Kickstarter is today... But I figure you guys might be interested in this. Subject to change but these are the Kickstarter tiers

quote:

$5 Tier 0 Contributor / Donation Tier. Includes a Forums Award indicating your support
+ ‘Social 1’
$35 Tier 1 Basic Edition of the Game (Early Bird.)
$40 Tier 1 Basic Edition of the Game
$55 Tier 2 Founder's Pack + ‘Social 2’ + T1
$75 Tier 3 Open Beta + Founder + T2
$80 Group 1 Carriage Made for Two.
Two copies of the Basic Game, plus resources and blueprint for a Carriage made for Two† (Horses or other mount not included)
$120 Tier 4 Closed Beta + T3 + Bonus IP

$150 Tier 5 Access to Exposition +Custom Surname + Social 3 + T4
$175 P1 $25 credit to merchandise store + in-game antique (map or item used in quest)† + T5 (Map/Antique is an in-game item that either leads to something cool, or is an item that will be part of a story-line at some point. (No one map or antique are the same))
$200 Tier 6 Bonus Spark of Life (2 total) + P1
$225 Group 2 Guild Hall†. $200 Tier, + Custom Guild Heraldry + Reserved Guild Name* + access to Guild Invite System
$225 Group 3 Village Square†, Custom Village Crest, name your village*, access to village invite
$250 P2 $25 credit to merchandise store ($50 Total), Open Alpha, 'Social 4', + Tier 6 + Bonus IP

$300 Tier 7 Ursaphant Mount†, + P2
$350 Tier 8 War Trison Mount†, House Battle Standard, + P2
$500 Tier 9 Closed Alpha, Count Title, County of Choice, Design your Crest, 'Social 5', + Tier 8
$750 P3 $50 credit to merchandise store ($100 total), design a tattoo or hairstyle (keep pattern), + Tier 9

$1k Tier 10 Exclusive monthly Video Q&A, [Upgrade] design a food, drink, or potion (Keep Pattern), + Tier P3
$1.5k Tier 11 [Upgrade] Design an accessory (Keep pattern), +3 Sparks of Life (5 Total),+ Tier 10
$2k Tier 12 Invite to Launch Party, Custom Portrait of yourself in-game, [Upgrade] Design Weapon or Shield (Keep Pattern) + Tier 11
$2.5k Tier 13 Tier 13 - Studio Tour, [Upgrade] Design a Relic (Keep relic)†, +5 Sparks of Life, + Tier 12 (10 Total)
$3.5k Tier 14 Dinner w/ Founder, [Upgrade] Design a Full Suit of Armor (Keep Pattern & item†),
$5k Tier 15 [Upgrade] Design in-game creature. Signed concept art of the creature. +10 Sparks of Life (20 Total), + Tier 14
$10k Tier 16 [Upgrade] Design a story-driven world event, world boss, or castle (keep pattern†). Signed copy of the concept. Become a King and select & name Kingdom. Design custom crest. Design your crown. Invited to Gaming Weekend with the Team, 'Social 7' + Tier 15

(non-stacking*) The 80 and 225 tier’s are non-stacking, in that they are not awarded as part of the higher tiers. They are separate price-points for ‘groups’ only.

* - Pending Developer Approval
† - All physical items can be lost in game

All tiers come with a $25 addon that allows players to give a code to their guild leader to apply for the guild invite, increasing influence and power of the starting guild.

Since I cancelled my pre-order of Overwatch, I'll dump some money into this. Doubting they can do $900,000 unless they have an amazing presentation... but then again, Star Citizen happened and Pantheon almost happened so who knows. No harm in pledging my intended amount.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 3, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I did the $175 tier. If they manage to get the $900,000, they deserve it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging/description

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Martman posted:

Thank god, none of those lovely standard MMO quests. Instead I can take out a contract with another player... to walk somewhere... and pick up 10 potions... and bring them back? But now I have the threat of legal action against me if I breach my contract! Yay!

At least that has the potential for some interesting player interaction. Not to mention how the potions are acquired (bartering with actual players, crafting them yourself, stealing from a shop at night after hours). Now imagine a scenario where you're picking up potions for some group of players preparing for some sort of Guild v Guild battle, rival guild has made a deal with the town herbalist/alchemist/whatever, they go into battle, arrows come flying, they're all hurt, take a swig of the potion, and they start dropping like flies. Point is, it's infinitely more involved than the modern MMO.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Ashrik posted:

Nominate Alexander DeLarge for thread mascot

I should have elaborated. Programming is easier than producing something visual that someone else has in their head. I've worked with artists before and I compare it to watching someone play a video game and getting frustrated because you know what you want to do, but you can't do it.

Especially working with UE4, having some difficulty implementing a feature? You have access to paid support by the people who actually made the engine, tons of documentation and source access. I'd rather be a project's programmer because other role have no such recourse. Being a 3D modeler/concept artist sucks because you're at the mercy of someone else's vision and ability to communicate abstract ideas, especially in fantasy.

The problem with the offline prototype is that they can literally do anything they want, because it's offline but that's not accounting for networking dictating certain things that are feasible, and not feasible in a large open environment filled with thousands of other people. That's why I'm still skeptical of the combat. At the end of the day, you're dealing with an authoritative server controlling the numbers and positioning.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 4, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Martman posted:

Nah, point is, all of that is made up and imaginary.

They're doing this classic "uhhh anything could happen!" PR thing where they're pretending that every other MMO just intentionally stopped players from having fun because they were afraid of the consequences or something. It's infinitely more involved? Why? How? Because they said there's contracts in the game that let you do whatever you want somehow?

Because it's a fundamentally different premise. If you compare Pantheon or some of the prototypes from other AAA themeparks, you can see that they're going for something completely different. Focusing on quests and zones and dungeons. You're going from a genre which is primarily "you are the hero, now go do the content we've given you, collect 10 boar assholes" to "alright, here's a world, go do stuff, here are a bunch of mechanics that provide meaningful player interaction organically and there's some dungeons/quests we made here and there".

I'm not saying that the potion scenario exists right now, but it certainly could happen if these guys aren't scumbags and don't run off with the money. I really do think these guys are a bunch of frustrated neckbeards that are sick of waiting for the industry to catch up to what people actually want. I'm consistently amazed at how there wasn't a resurgence of sandbox MMOs after the success of Minecraft and games like Day-Z. The only games that actually exist that are comparable are EVE/Galaxies/UO and that sort of tampered goods scenario was certainly possible in those games so I don't think it's PR speak at all to expect ~emergent gameplay~

Wish I could say that this is the first million+ dollar attempt at that sort of game since the early 2000s but it's the second due to Pathfinder Online. Probably shouldn't count Shroud of the Avatar because who the gently caress knows what that is, I don't think Portalarium could answer that themselves. I didn't think Pathfinder had a viable business model or a promising Kickstarter at all, relied far too heavily on the IP it was based on and there were a lot of bad rumors surrounding the project at that time, not to mention it was based on Unity engine in 2012 and that's a red flag entirely on its own.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

padijun posted:

no joke, two of my coworkers spent pledged $2,000 each on to this game today, I told them kickstarting games post-star citizen is a bad idea, but they done it. how bad did they gently caress up?

Kickstarter isn't a bad idea. Spending $2000 on a Kickstarter is. I've only spent $30 on Star Citizen and I've already had enough fun with it in the small PTU/arena commander modes (and that's before 2.4 with the cool stuff even releases)

Martman posted:

Like what?
Player economy, contracts, skill based crafting, housing, farming in a game where eating/drinking is actually a necessary thing so it isn't optional, player run towns/cities and the player politics that come naturally from that sort of thing.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 5, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Shadowlz posted:

We are not very far from people honestly just buying ideas. At least for now they attempt to make it.

Why do people think they can make a game bigger than any AAA title in history with 2% the budget, people, and time?

What makes you think that it's bigger than a AAA title, or even *insert content driven themepark here*? I'd imagine a sandbox where it's just a bunch of mechanics and a world to interact with those mechanics would require a fraction of the time/budget. Look at Gorgon, that's done by a guy and his wife for $75,000. I hate comparing these types of sandbox titles to survival games but survival games are the same premise. You're dropped into a world, given a bunch of mechanics to work with, go off and do stuff. Basically this is a more fleshed out version of Ark and Ark was able to get out a fleshed out build in about 7 months.

By the time this hits alpha in Q1 2017, this will have been in development for over a year and a half. Look at Daniel Vavra's new game Kingdom Come: Deliverance, that's a Elder Scrolls-esque RPG with a bunch of similar mechanics but they're doing a fully voiced world, huge 20+ hour campaign with tons of side content created by hand (easily doubling or even tripling the amount of work/funding required) and that was funded in early 2014 and that's on track for a full release this year. Seems reasonable when you put it under that kind of perspective.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SweetBro posted:

You cancelled the Overwatch pre-order for this poo poo? What the gently caress is your major malfunction son?

I like Dirty Bomb more, and it's free. Stellaris and Uncharted 4 are gonna be taking the majority of my time for the next month or two.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 9, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Funded in ten days. $907,000 as of right now. 20 to go, stretch goals today
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging/posts/1575828

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 14, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I'm going in on the 25$ one. Worst case scenario, I'm out 25$. Best case, I have a good time for a while.

I did this for Star Citizen and I haven't experienced buyers remorse yet.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Ziji posted:

About to grab one of the tiers out of sheer curiosity, but I'm not sure how I feel about having to buy a new "life" for $30 every so often.

I quite like it tbh, assuming you actually value your life, you're gonna be paying $2.50 on average a month.

You treating yourself as disposable? Shortened lifespan.
Get imprisoned? You're screwing yourself on your current/next life due to prison skill loss on your current character leading to less of a skill gain buff on your soul.
Keeps all parts of the economy alive. Keeps low-tier/mid-game content alive too (this kills every MMO ever).
Provides the devs with a decent stream of revenue without nickel and diming people on cash shop nonsense. Doesn't even give them the chance to gently caress up the business model.

Also, I have a feeling it's gonna lead to a sense of empathy knowing what it's like to start over since they did it recently too, even if they've been playing for five years.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Degs posted:

Pfft, I have kids.

I'm not dropping that much money on something until it's VR and I can shut them out completely.

Beg your friend to gift his count title over to me and I'll turn a duke into a king.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Orv posted:

Finished, sure. Worth playing?

We'll see. Next week is a free weekend.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
http://www.develop-online.net/news/soulbound-studios-using-improbable-s-spatialos-for-new-mmo/0221130

quote:

SpatialOS will act as the fabric that our game is built on. It's the server technology that will allow us to support millions of entities in the world. Built first and foremost as a scalable, distributed operating system for games, SpatialOS means we don't have to spend time developing the things that generally take the most time when building a new MMO.

We don't have to worry about networking on the server, load balancing all the entities in the world, replication of entities across multiple server nodes, cross-process communication, collision detection of millions of entities, etc. In short, we don't have to worry about developing any of the technology that makes an MMO, an MMO.

Instead, we get to focus all of our resources on developing the game mechanics that makes Chronicles of Elyria truly unique.

Also, looks like they're going to hit the 1.3M wards stretch goal.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Degs posted:

As of right now they've basically said the world they have would take two real world days to walk across, if water wasn't a factor.

That's still huge, but my question remains "will that be fun or not"

This is why I really like Shards and Rel Por, it's small enough to sustain a community of that size. Galaxies would have been infinitely better if they focused on a single highly detailed planet versus a couple ones with "focus areas" and dead space between.

Also the urban sprawl in that game was loving awful.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Mustache Ride posted:

So who's going to take the lead and start shitposting on their lovely forums about the Goon Guild? This sounds like fun that could be had that we're missing.

Am I the only one throwing $175+ at this poo poo? Because expedition starts like 3 months before the game launches, no wipe.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
:siren::pcgaming:WARDS ARE IN:pcgaming::siren:
Also since I'm doing expedition, I guess I'll start a guild thread.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/Guild-Recruitmet/7753-Goon-Squad-is-coming-NA

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 3, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Eventually I'd like to make a CoE-themed signature template but this will do for now
http://www.signator.org/generator-star-citizen

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
House of Goons now has a presence on the SA discord.

Can OP add the link to the Discord/forum post?
http://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/Guild-Recruitmet/7753-Goon-Squad-is-coming--NA-?page=1
https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QC4b0Ei

Do we have any decent artists up in here? Need to create a sig template/house sigil. Seems to be the norm over there.

Figured I did alright using one of those Game of Thrones house generators

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 4, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Sent to me privately.

quote:

Good evening and Welcome to Goon Squad...or rather the House of Goons. It seems your announcement about the goons arriving isn't receiving the greatest welcome from many of the CoE community. I have my ears in every kingdom and it seems many are plotting against you guys. I am curious to know more about the House of Goons and chat with you a little bit about some things

Also, it seems my plan of making an exception for people who haven't given Lowtax his :10bux: and have Baron pledges is working. I've got some interesting prospects meaning we'll have some territory at launch.

I've been accepted as an official house leader and will be participating in the community round tables. Last one was done through voice chat but I'd estimate 80% of discussion was about the House of Goons

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/Guild-Recruitmet/7753-Goon-Squad-is-coming-NA
:getin:

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 21, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I can't do PMs here. alexanderdelarge@outlook.com

Ziji posted:

I ended up getting confused as to what day it was while I was overseas and missed out on the kickstarter. Really bummed but excited to play when and if the game launches proper.

They're doing Kickstarter rewards on their website's store for a month starting in like three days.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Sent you an email. Apologies for the delay.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
When they put up the web store you can spend $350 and get into the single player demo thing that's coming out this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I didn't redeem my pledge for this reason. Oh well. I'll sell it and put it towards Ashes of Creation

• Locked thread