Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Degs
Mar 2, 2014

This game, on paper per the dev system descriptions, has the closest thing to what I've imagined a thief/assassin/spy could be in an MMO.

Like I've never heard another dev even mention half of these things before. Disguises, poisons, cat burglary, etc.

Hopefully it's fun, god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I didn't say I'm backing it, you can stop trying to convince me it's a terrible thing to hope.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Half of em existed in real UO.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Friend of mine went in for 3500.

Least I'll have land?

Degs fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 16, 2016

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Blazing Zero posted:

you are the friend, arent you?

Pfft, I have kids.

I'm not dropping that much money on something until it's VR and I can shut them out completely.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOKdf5lp2IQ

Prealpha stuff. OK.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Orv posted:

I will point out they want a persistent destructible world that takes "a real time year to walk across." An actual thing they said.

As of right now they've basically said the world they have would take two real world days to walk across, if water wasn't a factor.

That's still huge, but my question remains "will that be fun or not"

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

SweetBro posted:

A) They're lying.

B) It's not persistent.

C) Some chucklefuck hit a randomize button with some Unity terrain generator and set the size numbers to be really high.

Pick any combination of the above.

Hitting all three at once wouldn't surprise me.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I've been in a kingdom's discord for a couple weeks now.

Seems like most of the people backing have never backed any other game and have only preordered a couple.

I didn't really think that was possible, but here we are.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

The weirdest, or maybe it's least weird, was a big group of like 15 count-level backers that pretty much exclusively played Neverwinter Nights on an RP server.

A bunch of others played UO and early WoW and haven't played anything else since. A few played SWTOR on top of those.

Basically it seems like the casual MMO crowd and the RP crowd are really drawn to it.

There's another US group that intend to be murder hobos that primarily play Mortal Online, so I guess anything is an upgrade for them.

E: That's just all the weird poo poo I've seen in this kingdom and in the official forums (which are dogshit, ofc). I'm sure there are quite a few backers who just plain forgot all the lovely games they bought with outrageous promises.

Degs fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 2, 2016

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Caspian, lead dev, apparently casually mentioned that they don't intend to enforce any kind of RMT rules.

So uh, that's that?

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Calidor posted:

Is there a link to that?

It was said in chat. Someone quoted it for me in this thread.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/15050/clarification-on-rmt?page=2#post157123

quote:

Caspian - Today at 9:30 PM When it comes to selling in-game items in a real-world market we effectively have two choices. We can spend countless hours and resources on trying to stop and track people making money off their in-game items, or we can accept that their time has value to them. If people have a lot of time, but little money, want to use that as a way to create in-game items which they then sell to other players who have disposable income but less free-time, we view that as a win-win.

Caspian - Today at 9:32 PM Our attorney may warn us, and we may have to ultimately put in means to limit such activities, but it's not the direction we want to go with it. We'd rather allow people to make trades as they see fit.

Rahl Draikskorn Ⓥ - Today at 9:35 PM so, I have loads of free time, and I craft a ton of weapons I can sell those weapons for real money?

Caspian - Today at 9:35 PM @Rahl Draikskorn Ⓥ Unless my attorney says otherwise, we're not going to stop you.

Caspian - Today at 9:39 PM Look. My view on this has always been the same. People have, for too long, assumed that the only equitable way to play an MMO is through time. You spend time... more time... and yet even more time, to achieve some level of success in the game. But the reality is, that enforces the idea that the game is about the destination, not the journey. The game should be fun to play in its own right. We shouldn't gate peoples' progress based on time... not least of which because time isn't the only currency. Time = Money, we all know that. Every hour you spend in-game is time you could spend making money in our world. So you're making a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

SwagDaddyNoScope posted:

If only it were that exciting. He has 2 Kingdoms and a Duchy (25,000 USD) and the Ashes of Creation hooplah is because they ran out of Elyria fluff for their Vornair Podcasts and Youtube videos. The token drive madness is spot on lunacy. Their Ashes of Creation kingdom/guild name is planned to be Imperium.

Are you me?

• Locked thread