Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I'm not trusting anyone who ever owned a Zune. Clearly they are incapable of making intelligent financial decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Khako posted:

A TWO-person studio is using motion capture with inverse kinematics in a mmo...

Maybe if one of them is secretly a multi-millionaire they could hire a motion capture studio to st- *snicker* BWAHAHAHAHA! I'm sorry I just can't do this anymore, these guys are loving clown shoes.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Kickstarter is today... But I figure you guys might be interested in this. Subject to change but these are the Kickstarter tiers

Since I cancelled my pre-order of Overwatch, I'll dump some money into this. Doubting they can do $900,000 unless they have an amazing presentation... but then again, Star Citizen happened and Pantheon almost happened so who knows. No harm in pledging my intended amount.

You cancelled the Overwatch pre-order for this poo poo? What the gently caress is your major malfunction son?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Degs posted:

This game, on paper per the dev system descriptions, has the closest thing to what I've imagined a thief/assassin/spy could be in an MMO. has very poorly thought out mechanics that are going to be a massive chore.

Like I've never heard another dev even mention half of these things before. Disguises, poisons, cat burglary, etc. Because they had those ideas up on a whiteboard and quickly relegated them to the "That's loving retarded" pile.

Hopefully it's fun, god drat. It will never be done.

You had a couple of typos. I fixed them for you.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Degs posted:

I didn't say I'm backing it, you can stop trying to convince me it's a terrible thing to hope.

Hope is the first step to disappointment.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Orv posted:

Oh or Paragon.
Paragon is actually going to be finished however.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Gimme a few hours to look into it.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Got freed up faster than I thought.

Anyways, I looked over the docs for SpatialOS. It's actually a pretty cool piece of tech, reminds me of something my co-worker showed me a while ago (or maybe that was also Spatial?). It's ultimately a simulation engine (a persistent world), not an MMO engine.

Anyways it has two really big selling points for MMO development, the first one is the spatial locality for load balancing. Now, we've had load balancing forever in MMOs, but doing it on the fly or god forbid, changing the scope of each node is a massive bitch. It always worked well for something like EVE that allowed them to basically run system it's own separate machine (though it may have been optimized in recent years), but would work lovely for a setting that's zoneless. What Spacial promises to do, is to dynamically create these boundaries based on proximity of entities (an entity being any persistent object in the world). Assuming Spatial delivers on their promise, it shouldn't be that difficult to have a "throw machines at the problem" solution to networking architecture, and will avoid having the EVE issue of "What happens when we have 1k+ people in one system?" since an area previously covered by one machine can be split into several machine. Now that won't mean that there won't be any latency impact and that it will be unnoticeable, but it should ultimately be "functional" (IE not requiring TD or crashing the server).

Now there does seem to be a decent amount integration with Unity which basically allows Unity to act as a client to receive data as well have limited authoritative privileges that you can grant it. Though I would probably have to do a demo project to see how well implemented it is. But the MMO use case is certainty there. As a simulation engine it looks like it has a nonsensical architecture, pretty loving authoritative, but I suppose if you're concerned about performance at scale you have to be.

As for what the devs at CoE promised:

What they showed in the video? Very possible, fluidly moving around persistent objects like that falls within the scope of Spatial.

Fully destructible environments? Impractical, there IS a cost for every entity, the cost for more complex entities (ones that have server side physics), is even higher. If we're moving towards the "throw machines at the problem to solve it" that means every entity has a monetary cost, and AWS instances are not cheap. While they can get away with a house having several "damaged" states, there is no way you're going to be able to blast through a wall and walk in Bad Company 2 style.

Honestly the coolest loving parts of Spatial is the entire simulation tech that these chucklefucks aren't even touching. See, Spatial is actually prime for all of that "The world evolves" simulation bullshit we've been promised for forever, like the entire "tribe of marauding goblins moves across the world and will murderfuck villages and kill off the NPCs there unless their numbers are reduced enough to where they retreat".

Honestly, I'm actually kind of jazzed about Spatial. I'll probably spin up a few machines and play around with it this weekend.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Degs posted:

As of right now they've basically said the world they have would take two real world days to walk across, if water wasn't a factor.
A) They're lying.

B) It's not persistent.

C) Some chucklefuck hit a randomize button with some Unity terrain generator and set the size numbers to be really high.

Pick any combination of the above.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

When they put up the web store you can spend $350 and get into the single player demo thing that's coming out this year.

If this isn't the world's biggest red flag that these people don't a loving clue of how to make an MMO then I don't know what is.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

This thread has more activity than the game's development.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Mr. Pickles posted:

looking forward to dying of old age in a persistent online multiplayer environment

If you can tolerate the :nignog: you can already do that in Mabinogi a game that actually exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

I want to believe it's AD's alter-ego after his mind finally snapped from too many failed early access kickstarter sandbox mmopogers

• Locked thread