Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
you care too much about a stupid warcraft movie. have you seen the source material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

PlushCow posted:

I thought this was going to be a good thing when I heard he was cast in this movie; but it was not a good thing at all :(

Cut out Lothar's son, cut out the wizard in the box, cut out Garona's parentage backstory, movie would've been better.

I am really curious to watch the Assassin's Creed movie, but after this videogame movie, I'm not sure I want the disappointment. If I thought Warcraft was PRETTY BAD, how does the Assassin's Creed movie compare?

Warcraft was like "EH". There's was something good that got lost forever to not been seen at all in all the awfulness. They should had kept all the orc parts and forget about the humans, like everyone says.

Assassin's Creed...well, I never got past like the 10 minutes.specially after seeing the little kid jumping through roofs and doing that poo poo you do in the game. I remember groaning, rolling my eyes and closing my movie player. A shame for Michael Fassbender because the guy is hot as gently caress.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wild Horses posted:

you care too much about a stupid warcraft movie. have you seen the source material?

wacraft used to just be goofy (pre-wc3) and then became goofy but metzen treated it with oftentimes deadly seriousness and constant lazy retcons cuz he's obsessed with comic books.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Groovelord Neato posted:

wacraft used to just be goofy (pre-wc3) and then became goofy but metzen treated it with oftentimes deadly seriousness and constant lazy retcons cuz he's obsessed with comic books.

I think that's a major part of why the movie sucked though -- Warcraft by nature is goofy as gently caress and this was a deadly serious fantasy movie with LARPing humans in cheap costumes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You could probably make a good Warcraft movie despite its Metzenisms, but this wasn't it, it didn't pass a laugh test. It's not a redeemable film and the trickle of WoW players and CD brokebrains constantly creeping back in to the thread to declare that it's secretly good are pathetic.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Groovelord Neato posted:

Warcraft 3 was peak Warcraft. And I've been playing Blizzard games since The Lost Vikings son.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dont even fink about it posted:

You could probably make a good Warcraft movie despite its Metzenisms, but this wasn't it, it didn't pass a laugh test. It's not a redeemable film and the trickle of WoW players and CD brokebrains constantly creeping back in to the thread to declare that it's secretly good are pathetic.

every bad movie is secretly good here, friend.

porfiria posted:

Warcraft 3 was peak Warcraft. And I've been playing Blizzard games since The Lost Vikings son.

that's sorta true but i much preferred the aesthetic of the second game. as an orc guy, i didn't much care for orcs becoming noble savages.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

Hahahaha. Which one are you?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like how a dummy immediately responded to this very correct post.

Warcraft was always "bulbous" and "round." The horde in Warcraft II are adorable cartoons.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my favorite look is the orcs from wc2. the problem is later on they combined somewhat more realistically proportioned folks into that bulbous armor. and by later on i mean wow.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 12, 2017

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

But that's always been the style. Giant shoulder pads, shortened limbs, glowing weapons and spells, goofy poo poo.

The guy on the title screen looks like a robot.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

People ITT have terrible loving memories.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Warcraft 1 different campaigns were 100% the same thing but they changed orcs to humans.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

as an orc guy, i didn't much care for orcs becoming noble savages.

Eh, the movie would've been worse had they tried to do the liked-Dad-rock-too-much Orcs of 1 and 2.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Toady posted:

But that's always been the style. Giant shoulder pads, shortened limbs, glowing weapons and spells, goofy poo poo.

did you just not read my post or

MisterBibs posted:

Eh, the movie would've been worse had they tried to do the liked-Dad-rock-too-much Orcs of 1 and 2.

i liked orcs when they were bad guys. sometimes it's fun being monsters and baddies. in fact i prefer it in my games.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

did you just not read my post or

I read all your posts. The problem is that, like many long-time fans, you're confused about why you're unhappy. You complain about tiny body proportions encased in bulging armor in Warcraft 3 and later, but that's always been Warcraft's art style. What you actually miss is the power fantasy of the pillaging Mongolian tribes that impressed you when you were 11.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
well true, movie needed more pillaging, less fel and medivh

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

You guys have been talking about this movie for more than a year. Congratulations.

(Crossing my fingers that they make a part 2 and all the cast and director are Chinese).

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Why isn't this thread titled "Warcraft movie thread II: Tides of Dorkiness" tho?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Toady posted:

I read all your posts. The problem is that, like many long-time fans, you're confused about why you're unhappy. You complain about tiny body proportions encased in bulging armor in Warcraft 3 and later, but that's always been Warcraft's art style. What you actually miss is the power fantasy of the pillaging Mongolian tribes that impressed you when you were 11.

folks like you seem to be under the impression i aint played the games since i was 12.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Why isn't this thread titled "Warcraft movie thread II: Tides of Dorkiness" tho?

Ugh no it's clearly Dorkness

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Toady posted:

The guy on the title screen looks like a robot.

They said this helmet was the same as that one and i was pissed because the original is awesome and this is a loving joke

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Having seen the movie I do not believe we need a Warcraft 2 movie.

I believe we need several. Maybe a trilogy for the game + expansion? I would want all the units to get enough screen time.

I didn't like that they didn't use the game music but apparently the movie score is in fact based on the Warcraft 1 (which I didn't play) soundtrack so I was wrong and it was actually good.

I liked that baby Thrall's little boat looked like the Orc ferry unit from Warcraft 2.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They did use the game music. When Stormwind first shows up on screen, they play the Stormwind fanfare, and Legends of Azeroth plays over the end credits.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is the music that should pop into your head whenever you think "warcraft"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLQsVrH9V8o

is it in the movie?? i forget.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I only remember the Warcraft 2 music because I played that so much more, and its music kicks rear end.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Found this might be interesting to some, https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/06/duncan-jones-reveals-what-his-story-would-have-been-for-warcraft-2/

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

What would be a hypothetical sequel to Warcraft?

Me, a cool person: I think a story about Arthas would be an interesting, simple narrative that could bring in some of the more fantastical elements of the universe.

Duncan Jones, brain rotted by WoW: This first film is about establishing the world, and showing Durotan helping his son escape a dying planet. So to me the idea over the course of three films would be for Thrall to fulfil that vision of Durotan to create a new homeland for the Orcs. So in the sequel it would be the adolescent years of that baby, and anyone who does know their Warcraft stories would know it’s very much a Spartacus story that goes on with that character. I would basically follow that through. And with the human side of it, which is a little less clear of how that would follow, but basically there is an aftermath to this film which would need to be completed. And on the Orc side you’re very much following that baby, Go’el, known as Thrall in the universe, and how he eventually creates the Orc homeland. My fascination with trying to do Warcraft in three films and the idea of family, is I love the idea of Durotan has sacrificed himself so his son and the people he cares about can survive – I want to see that sacrifice pay off. That’s the trilogy. That’s the heart of the story. The rest of it is mumbo jumbo names and poo poo. Good poo poo because Chris Metzen is a wonderful writer, but the heart of the story is someone’s sacrifice because they thought it was worth sacrificing for, and it was a good person who has a good kid and I want that good kid to pay off.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Whilst I agree that making the trilogy about Thrall wouldn't be a good thing the second movie probably shouldn't be about Arthas, or at least not Arthas alone, given the human half of this movie is the weaker half.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

simple narrative

Not so sure about that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RedSpider posted:

I still can't believe how bad Duncan Jones hosed this up.

I don't think Duncan Jones hosed up at all, Warcraft is legit a really good movie. I don't expect a sequel will happen though and that makes me sad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cd is legit the worst place to talk about movies. up is down. black is white. around is through.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

cd is legit the worst place to talk about movies. up is down. black is white. around is through.

CinD is the worst place to talk about movies so I will talk about movies here!

Warcraft SUUUUUUCCCKKKKS so I will post in the Warcraft thread!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Why is Duncan Jones so eager to suicide his career for the sake of a lovely videogame movie, I just don't get it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I will say this helmet entertained me every time it was on screen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

UmOk posted:

Warcraft SUUUUUUCCCKKKKS so I will post in the Warcraft thread!

there are some people who love movies so much their job is to review them. most of the movies they see are not good. why don't they just review the good ones.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bimmi posted:

Why is Duncan Jones so eager to suicide his career for the sake of a lovely videogame movie, I just don't get it.

He's such a fan that it seems he has this weird blind spot for it.

As long as he keeps making good sci fi movies he can make as many lovely Warcraft films as he wants.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what's he made besides moon? i mean moon alone probably earns him 5 of these trash heaps but i'm curious

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Groovelord Neato posted:

what's he made besides moon? i mean moon alone probably earns him 5 of these trash heaps but i'm curious

Source Code. And a third one called Mute which out this year and is set in future Berlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Groovelord Neato posted:

there are some people who love movies so much their job is to review them. most of the movies they see are not good. why don't they just review the good ones.

Some people love movies so much that they just can't help but talk about them in the worst place to talk about movies. Up is down indeed.

• Locked thread