Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

mike12345 posted:

what do kids care about?

that other craft game, which also has a movie coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's funny that despite losing half their subs from their peak in 2010, they still have like three times more subs than their nearest competition. Did they gently caress something up real bad? Or are their fans just tired of the warcraft thing?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Look at all that empty space. It's like they're positioned just right for the raid to funnel in, talk to lady katrana prestor and start the fight.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was a deliberate composition.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

this was me expending way too much effort (and i probably coulda gone step by step if i wanted to) on release http://pastebin.com/Dsi1fRzs

Good enough for me. I haven't bought a blizzard product since vanilla WoW and barely keep my ear to the ground on blizzard's activities.

As far as the movie goes, it's poo poo. We all know this. They should have diverted funds over to Warcraft Adventures and finished that instead.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Long ago I swore an oath to not get hooked on Diablo 2 again.

Whenever I get the urge to mow down waves of mobs with an army of skeletons, I remember maggot lair and arcane sanctuary.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't think there's a writer out there that can create both a good story and a story that supports the need for raid bosses plus quests for 40 bear butts.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
My memories around WoW have nothing to do with the story and everything to do with how it changed MMORPG design to this very day.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

computer parts posted:

Even that I don't have reference to since I didn't play MMOs before 2006.

Beaten to the punch, but I'm posting this anyway because MMOs are my favorite genre and I can't shut up about them:

MMOs before WoW were very grindy and punishing, to varying extents. Everquest was arguably the worst. Experience loss on death, de-leveling if you lost too much. Several deaths after reaching the level cap could set you back hours of grinding to reach it again. All of your stuff is left on your corpse when you die. Everyone needed to work in teams after about level 10 or so all the time. There was no such thing as instanced content. Quests were available but they were few and were worth little exp. The main way to progress was pure mob grinding. Even then, some days you'd be lucky to find a group, or lucky there was an open spot to camp at, depending on the server pop. End-game content was shared in an open world, so guilds had to abide by a community approved calendar just to avoid conflict. In one particular case, whole servers would get up in arms if you attempted to kill a certain dragon, because it would forever change a zone's mob and item drop content when you failed.

WoW made it possible to solo to the level cap with relatively light punishment, made end-game accessible to casual players, and used instances liberally, all while still being challenging and looking really good for its time. It was revolutionary, but also began the decline of MMORPGs being a mysterious open world.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

they were only interesting when they first came about how are they your favorite genre???

I'm in constant denial that one day I will play another MMO that captures the magic of early Ultima Online.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Not Operator posted:

Thank christ it had an aisle seat.

Can you imagine going to see a movie and sitting next to someone's gently caress doll?

At least it's going to be silent during the film.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The next movie is just an hour and a half CGI render of a decent raid group that wipes at the final boss several times until they call it a night.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

wdarkk posted:

Amoral mercenaries getting really angry over loot could be a good movie.

:agreed:, but fiction is going to have a tough time competing with the real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I understood them to be homages and not them exactly.

• Locked thread