Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Maybe I'm the guy it was aimed at, because I hadn't read anything Marvel in a decade until Hickman Avengers, and I was on Team Illuminati hardcore. And no, "the Illuminati" aren't the something that comes up to fix things, but it's definitely Iron Man or Dr. Strange or Reed Richards a lot of the time. If all of the smartest intellects on the planet and the Sorceror Supreme are saying they have no idea how to fix things and they might need to blow up some planets to buy time, what is the "something else" that's gonna happen? Especially because nothing ever DID show up -- Cap had to know there had been multiple incursions the whole time he was figuring things out and then hunting them down, and so he was defeating the purpose of blowing up the planets in the first place, because Reed Richards and T'Challa and Tony Stark didn't get to sit and obsess over it in a fully-equipped lab all day. It's not even like he got all the nations of the world working on the solution, he just kinda ignored it to get in a pissing match with Tony.

I dunno, it seemed like a really forced personality -- maybe he'd be angry, but not sheer world-endingly illogical about it.

Breaking it down, your argument is that Captain America should be condoning the willful murder of TRILLIONS of people, and him NOT doing so is the mischaracterisation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's less malicious than you're implying, and more that they want to show a bit of nuance where he's not just Superman In A White Cape, but actually reads like a kid in a grown man's body. Basically the Tom Hanks in Big/Jennifer Garner in that other movie thing. Now that may come off annoying or selfish or undercut the heroic part of the character, but I don't think it's meant to shake a fist at "those drat kids" anymore than Kamala Khan being into Tumblr, fanfic and MMOs is. If you're writing young people, you, weirdly, have to write them as interested in stuff young people like and acting like young people do, which includes making dumb decisions because they think they know best (and maybe sometimes, you can have them be right about this)

• Locked thread