Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Basically everything that happened to the the Avengers Academy cast after that series ended. First arena, then Undercover. And now they've been used as punchlines in Secret Wars (I know a version of Striker got killed off in the first issues of Marvel Zombies for one thing).

Arguably worst of all, however was Arcade. I mean, the whole point of the exercise (other than trying to cash in on those sweet, sweet Hunger Games/Battle Royale dollars) was apparently to make Arcade a 'credible' villain. Which they did by literally giving him arbitrary powerups from an original character (rather than him using his own apparent inventive abilities) and quite literally plagiarising the Hunger Games books in universe (not named, but he states he got the idea from a 'series of children's books'). Needless to say, racking up a bodycount (and you know, ripping off the idea for his new deathtrap from fiction) kind of goes against his character. For that matter, his motivation for all that - that people weren't taking him 'seriously' had already been done, and far better, in Avengers Academy (where he was doing far more in-character, and entertaining, death traps). Plus, killing people was never really what he was about - it was about the game to him. Chris Sims really explains why Arcade was so great:

Chris Sims posted:

Just the fact that Arcade is a guy who doesn’t hate his enemies, and isn’t grimly determined to carry out the contract for murder, but that he’s mostly just doing it because it’s fun. Which it is.

And then there’s Murderworld itself, the Theme Park of Death, which is just genius. Like a lot of the things I love in comics, it’s brilliantly adaptable. It makes perfect sense for it to be different every time you see it, and because it’s already based on amusement parks, and since they tend to have rides based on any theme you can imagine, you can design a deathtrap around anything, and it will still make perfect sense. Plus, Arcade’s detachment from a personal vendetta against the heroes means that he’s one of those characters who can show up anywhere, at any time, to fight anyone.

That helps mediate the importance of his losses, too. Since he’s themed around games and a crooked sense of sportsmanship, his characterization lends itself pretty well to taking his inevitable defeat in stride. For Arcade, whether or not the fight is interesting is far more important than the outcome.

And in that respect, he’s a lot like the reader.
I mean, he's only appeared in what? Avengers Undercover, and nothing since. This was a classic Marvel villain, and Marvel stained him with Arena almost as badly as DC turned Dr. Light into a character whose only defining trait was 'rapist'.

I'll probably do an effort post later on X-23, who's probably the second worst off. Yes, maybe worse off than Mettle (who died) and everyone else in Undercover. Because she got...Bendissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Archyduke posted:

I can't believe that people got murdered in Murderworld!

I'm afraid you've missed the point. It was never just about killing people to Arcade, it was about the game. He wasn't a 'successful' villain because he wracked up a bodycount, he was entertaining because the ways he tried to kill the protagonists were always interesting, like when he brainwashed Colossus into thinking he was a deep-cover Soviet superagent and then laughed his rear end off watching him fight the other X-Men, or having one guy in a game of giant whack-a-mole. As opposed to Arena, where he just shoves a bunch of teenagers into a holodeck island and lets them go all hunger games. Hell in the first issue he kills a guy by just blasting a whole in him with his godmode powers. Where's the pizzazz? Where's the sense of fun? Where's the elaborate deathtraps? The most sophisicated he does is a land mine filled with trigger scent. That could be any supervillain's murder lair, but it's sure as heck not Murderworld.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

Everyone was going to die no matter what as they were screwed, so Rogers just wanted to punch Tony a bit.

To be fair, punching 616 Tony Stark in the face for being a dick is probably how I'd want to go out.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think the best approach to the wole Illuminati thing was when Blue Marvel basically told them off for deciding that they alone should make decisions for the entire planet.

• Locked thread