Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Gaz-L posted:

I think it's less malicious than you're implying, and more that they want to show a bit of nuance where he's not just Superman In A White Cape, but actually reads like a kid in a grown man's body. Basically the Tom Hanks in Big/Jennifer Garner in that other movie thing. Now that may come off annoying or selfish or undercut the heroic part of the character, but I don't think it's meant to shake a fist at "those drat kids" anymore than Kamala Khan being into Tumblr, fanfic and MMOs is. If you're writing young people, you, weirdly, have to write them as interested in stuff young people like and acting like young people do, which includes making dumb decisions because they think they know best (and maybe sometimes, you can have them be right about this)

It's not impossible to write a modern kid as not an rear end in a top hat though, and Billy shouldn't be one. He can be a genuinely hopeful and optimistic kid and still be thoroughly modern and not "golly gee wilikers". All I know is that replace Geoff "Arms Are Best Not In Their Sockets" Johns' vision sucks. Has there been like a DC You Captain Marvel or something?

ImpAtom posted:

It absolutely is.

The major difference is that Kamala is celebratory. She is dorky and cheerful and her interests are shown as positive or neutral. Modern Shazam is shown abusing his powers for money or caring more about his X-Box than anything. Billy isn't shown as being interested in kid things. (Which is what other versions of Marvel.) He is shown as being That drat Kid.

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread