Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Boogaleeboo posted:

It did, didn't it?

It always does. It's kinda disingenuous to think Cap should act like he's not in a comic book universe. There's always a threat to the nation/world/galaxy/universe/timeline/all conceivable potential reality that could ever exist, and something always comes up. Rogers accepting that is perfectly logical, and the writers trying to skew it so he was wrong were about as believable as the crap Millar wrote to try to make Tony seem like he wasn't being an uncharacteristic rear end in a top hat in Civil War.

Also the Illuminati have never been the "something that comes" up to fix things. For a group that supposedly existed behind the scenes to make everything better they basically have a track record of zilch. They're a fine plot device for "those assholes that think they're so smart hosed up again" but they don't fit in the role of "guys we actually trust to fix things".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Phenotype posted:

Maybe I'm the guy it was aimed at, because I hadn't read anything Marvel in a decade until Hickman Avengers, and I was on Team Illuminati hardcore. And no, "the Illuminati" aren't the something that comes up to fix things, but it's definitely Iron Man or Dr. Strange or Reed Richards a lot of the time. If all of the smartest intellects on the planet and the Sorceror Supreme are saying they have no idea how to fix things and they might need to blow up some planets to buy time, what is the "something else" that's gonna happen? Especially because nothing ever DID show up -- Cap had to know there had been multiple incursions the whole time he was figuring things out and then hunting them down, and so he was defeating the purpose of blowing up the planets in the first place, because Reed Richards and T'Challa and Tony Stark didn't get to sit and obsess over it in a fully-equipped lab all day. It's not even like he got all the nations of the world working on the solution, he just kinda ignored it to get in a pissing match with Tony.

I dunno, it seemed like a really forced personality -- maybe he'd be angry, but not sheer world-endingly illogical about it.

The entire moral choice came across as contrived due to the history of the medium, though. It wasn't out of character for Tony or Reed or Namor or any of the other assholes to think there was no choice but the Grim Real Decision, but it was out of character for the Marvel universe (or 616 if you want to get picky) to convey any agreement with them. There are fifty years of comics in this setting where Earths did not have to be blown up in order to solve the crisis.

I guess I'm stretching this thread's purpose, but Incursion really felt like a mischaracterization of the world - it felt like an Ultimate Universe (or, I dunno, Exiles) story forced into 616 for the sake of reboot. Which is a drat pity, because I loved Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run, which had similar stakes and moral debates, and there were a lot of fun elements of Incursion, but the entire event doesn't fit with its surroundings - the curse of continuity, like most of the runs brought up here.

(Oh hey, there's a big mischaracterization - the Hickman Fantastic Four Reed Richards has a humanity and hard-earned empathy that was completely lacking in his Incursion appearance. The guy who gives up a multiverse-fixing project to stay connected to his family is going to turn against his wife for the sake of a multiverse-not-even-fixing project like, six months later?)

• Locked thread