Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm sure Angel or Roland or one of the Vault Hunters would have come up with something. There's only a few seconds between "I can't get over there" and Lilith suddenly appearing to handle it. Nobody got a chance to try and solve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Speedball posted:

Apparently enemies hitting Claptrap with a melee attack also counts for Hi Five, Guys. Hahahahaha.

:aaaaa: didn't know this.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's nice to see a story set on Pandora where everything works out in the end.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
A bit surprised by some of the team member numbers at the end there. Athena and Felix's, specifically. I mean, I get Athena's would be super-high, but 96.7%? That's only one in thirty people who didn't bring her, and that doesn't even take into account the people who couldn't for whatever earlier choices made. Felix being so low was a shock too. Naturally he's not going to be there if you let him die*, so probably half of people aren't even going to have the choice, but that's still very few who wanted closure.

*How does that even work, anyway? If you tell Felix to choke on it, does he fake his death, or is this some weird split where cause comes after effect and he only disarms the bomb and does the switch if you warn him after he would have already done so or not?

HenryEx posted:

*Sasha brings up Felix' gift at the pivotal scene*
"Uuuughhh it's gonna be a med kit isn't"

*Sasha finally opens the gift and sees the inscription*
"Oh COME ON!"

*everyone continues to mope around*
"COOOOOOOMMMMMMME ONNNNNNNNNNNNN"

Ditto. Though for me I was just chanting "use the watch already goddammit." :cripes:

Kaubocks posted:

I get the sentiment that most people don't like claptrap! that's fine, but I do want to assure you guys that you KNOW if I gave you the choice to pick a replacement team member the mystery vault hunter would have won. don't deny it. look deep down in your hearts and remember the scooter special.

Yes, and I'm glad you did it this way, because now we can be mad at you instead of ourselves. :colbert:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Felinoid posted:

A bit surprised by some of the team member numbers at the end there. Athena and Felix's, specifically. I mean, I get Athena's would be super-high, but 96.7%? That's only one in thirty people who didn't bring her, and that doesn't even take into account the people who couldn't for whatever earlier choices made. Felix being so low was a shock too. Naturally he's not going to be there if you let him die*, so probably half of people aren't even going to have the choice, but that's still very few who wanted closure.

*How does that even work, anyway? If you tell Felix to choke on it, does he fake his death, or is this some weird split where cause comes after effect and he only disarms the bomb and does the switch if you warn him after he would have already done so or not?

I let him die, and just got the "this character is not available since you let him die" message when trying to pick him (and you don't get the bit with the EchoComm).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Did he plan to never contact Fiona and Sasha again and hope that they'll discover the money themselves?

This was exactly the plan. He put it in a place they definitely would have stumbled across sooner rather than later had it not been left in the dirt.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Felix may have been making a Noble SacrificeTM by blowing himself up. He'd already hired Athena to take care of him, his switching the money was a way to throw Vallory off the scent, maybe he was planning to take one for the team to keep his adopted daughters safe? He had no way of knowing they'd gently caress up and lose the back half of the caravan, he probably planned on Sasha and Fiona stumbling across that money in a few weeks or so, after the heat had died down. Without Fiona warning him, he couldn't just know about the bomb or it would spoil everything he planned, so he took one for the team that his daughters might prosper without him.

Which means that if you let Felix die, he's probably looking down up at that drat wardrobe sitting out in the desert and cursing loudly. :v:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I love this game and even the credits are great. Silver Lining is a great tone to underscore this quasi-western story about hardships and personal growth. It fits so well that I was genuinely surprised when I saw that it's a licensed song.

96 percent of all players brought Athena. That might be the least controversial choice of the whole game.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Felinoid posted:

A bit surprised by some of the team member numbers at the end there. Athena and Felix's, specifically. I mean, I get Athena's would be super-high, but 96.7%? That's only one in thirty people who didn't bring her, and that doesn't even take into account the people who couldn't for whatever earlier choices made.

I mention in the video she's actually available no matter what. Also, not a ton of people manage to have Zer0 be available. As a result, most people are going to want at least one actual Vault Hunter so they pick Athena.

Also yeah Felix totally will actually explode if you don't warn him. Not 100% sure what his plan was for going down in a blaze of glory.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
Rhys is the most likely character to show up again in future Borderlands canon for one key reason - if they want to bring Jack back, Rhysis the vehicle to bring him back. Sure, you can choose to crush Jack, but they can handwave that as Rhys lying to Loaderbot (The Stranger) and Fiona as he is retelling the story. The whole game has had bits of unreliable narration, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Anyways, thanks for LPing this game. I bought it a week ago because of how awesome it had been. I look forward to seeing what the other team is like.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh, so if Athena is available no matter what... You could have Felix explode, let Athena murder Cassius, not unlock Zero, and not be able to afford the mystery vault hunter, which means you have to take Athena. I'm guessing that also means that Janey and Augustus are available no matter what?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh, so if Athena is available no matter what... You could have Felix explode, let Athena murder Cassius, not unlock Zero, and not be able to afford the mystery vault hunter, which means you have to take Athena. I'm guessing that also means that Janey and Augustus are available no matter what?

Kaubocks posted:

Much like Athena, August is actually always available no matter what but I didn't want to ruin the magic too much in the video itself. Janey, Felix, Cassius, Zer0, and the mystery Vault Hunter are all variable though and if you didn't meet the conditions for any of them it'll give Zer0 as a freebie. Or at least I'm pretty sure that's who they give you, anyway. I personally haven't failed that hard though my original playthrough did not have a lot of availabilities.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

:doh:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I like the animated credits, and the song that played over them.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I kills me to have to talk over the credits music but I wanted to keep up the tradition of talking about the episode during the credits.

for those who wish to listen to it I added it to the OP, you can listen to it here

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I love that the Scooter Special gives you one last "Catch-A-Riiiiide!!!" at the start of 5-5. Keep on keepin on space cowboy, you are missed.

Edit: Claptrap is canon now and I am filled with joy because of this.

Nervous fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 27, 2016

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Claptrap has never struck me as annoying. More like unknowingly defective and self-loathing. He's just a robot you just want to hug, like Gortys.

Oooh, wait, what if you can hug them BOTH?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I knew who the mystery choice was beforehand so I bit my tongue.

I did not, however, know that Felix wasn't an acceptable choice. I thought we were safe. I feel betrayed.

EDIT: I was so stoked during the entire giant Gortys fight and inputting the fighting game commands. What a good ending to a game. :)

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 27, 2016

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
"You, sir, are almost certainly going to regret this!"

Maybe he managed to recover some of his Fragtrap programming somehow? Or managed to tab into his not-fully-deleted Shadowtrap subroutines or something.

EDIT: I'm going to be sad that I don't have a thread to yammer about dumb borderlands lore poo poo after this.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
:3:

aw man, this game is the best. Gortys + Loaderbot forever. :swoon:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Fiona being a Vault Hunter next game has already been discussed, but I'm realizing that Loader Bot would be an amazing addition; just have him call in Final Form Gortys and have her do something different depending on who is on the team with you at the moment.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I don't think Fiona would make it as a playable Hunter. How do you make her F skill work as an F skill in the FPS games? She visualizes things she can do, but you can't really do that for borderlands maps without a bunch of scripting everywhere on each map if you want the player to use it as often as the other character's. Having that shackled to her makes it hard.

Loader bot or Vaughn or Sasha? Easily doable though

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Slaan posted:

I don't think Fiona would make it as a playable Hunter. How do you make her F skill work as an F skill in the FPS games? She visualizes things she can do, but you can't really do that for borderlands maps without a bunch of scripting everywhere on each map if you want the player to use it as often as the other character's. Having that shackled to her makes it hard.

Loader bot or Vaughn or Sasha? Easily doable though

You can just make every shot she takes while using the skill count as a critical on account of her "visualizing" every shot. Maybe a tree for different effects: all crits, avoid damage, have her weapons change their element, dunno. Kinda cheap, but could work.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Or maybe make her skill the derringer

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Well this is interesting... I was going through the keys I own through Humble Bundle and apparently I have an extra code for Tales from the Borderlands? It's not a Steam key. It seems to be redeemable through Telltale's website. I'm going to be honest that I have no idea how getting a game through there will work, though I can imagine it will involve setting yourself up with a Telltale account. Maybe they have their own download client? Again, I don't know.

Anyway long story short, I don't need this key so I'm starting a contest for anyone who might want it! Here are the rules:

1) Be cool.
2) Don't already own the game.
3) Be honest about rule number two.

Quote some section of this post if you want in and I'll pick someone at random sometime tomorrow.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Anyway long story short, I don't need this key so I'm starting a contest for anyone who might want it! Here are the rules:

1) Be cool.

Quote some section of this post if you want in and I'll pick someone at random sometime tomorrow.

Like I can just let this opportunity slip by.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Kaubocks posted:

Well this is interesting... I was going through the keys I own through Humble Bundle and apparently I have an extra code for Tales from the Borderlands? It's not a Steam key. It seems to be redeemable through Telltale's website. I'm going to be honest that I have no idea how getting a game through there will work, though I can imagine it will involve setting yourself up with a Telltale account. Maybe they have their own download client? Again, I don't know.

1) Be cool.

I don't have the game, honestly. The only thing in the Telltale bundle that I didn't have that I wanted was Tales of the Borderlands, but spending the money on getting everything else wasn't worth it in my opinion.

Claptrap had to show up sometime. He's a staple of Borderlands.

I forgot that Moxxi talked to Zer0 on the echo during the first episode. Those are the really only two reoccurring characters that appeared in all previous games.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Well, I see they went with the big sappy, sentimental ending that relies on plot magic and fairy dust that makes no sense whatsoever. And I'm so glad they did. It was like the characters themselves overrode what I wanted from a narrative, and instead I just wanted to see them succeed.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I'm one of the folks who doesn't mind Claptrap because I know what they're going for with his presentation and execution, but lord I hated him when he started running his filthy mouth and self-bleeping himself around the precious child Gortys.

Sorely depressed by the lack of rocket-punches, though; we got rocket-kicks at least, kinda. How can you have a giant robot without a rocket-punch.

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

A boring man. It's hard to tell what he's capable of.
I love this game!!! Thank you for introducing me and lots of other people to it. Really happy I played it (mostly) blind too.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Kaubocks posted:

1) Be cool.

Such an awesome LP to an awesome game, that I probably would have missed despite loving the hell out of Borderlands 1&2.
Gotta get in on the door prize too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Well, I see they went with the big sappy, sentimental ending that relies on plot magic and fairy dust that makes no sense whatsoever. And I'm so glad they did. It was like the characters themselves overrode what I wanted from a narrative, and instead I just wanted to see them succeed.

The only flaw in that ending is that Gortys didn't get to keep her legs.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

RareAcumen posted:

The only flaw in that ending is that Gortys didn't get to keep her legsGAMS.

FTYFY :argh:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I haven't seen them yet but the mystery vault hunter is loving Claptrap isn't it

e: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
My reaction exactly.
Also best post in the thread.

The ending is perfect. The fact it works despite being cliché as gently caress and incredibly hammy speaks volumes of how well the characterization is done in this game.

Anyhow,

Kaubocks posted:

1) Be cool.

because now I want to play through it while being a total rear end in a top hat.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 27, 2016

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

1) Be cool.

Welp, I've been waiting for this game to go on sale since I started following this LP. May as well get in on this.

Also, Claptrap has always been really hit or miss for me but I thought he was pretty funny here. My only real problem with the ending was the Sasha thing, but I can overlook that considering the quality of the writing and characters in the rest of the game.

e: Forgot to mention the excellent voice acting. I'm a sucker for Laura Bailey and I think most of the other actors did a great job, too.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 27, 2016

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

Claptrap owns

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Claptrap owns because each new game attempts to make him annoying in new and interesting ways. I thought "12 year old on Xbox Live" claptrap here was especially inspired, because even though I like claptrap it still grated on me. :v:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I ended up getting this on Humble Bundle, and I have to say, the boss fight with August is amazing. It really made me wish he showed up more in the game so we could get to know him. Same for Athena, she really grew on me.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 27, 2016

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but

Kaubocks posted:

1) Be cool.

I mean, I'm all for doing everything the exact opposite way it happened in this thread.

Except for the Steve mask. That'd stay the same.

Heyooo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

1) Be cool.

A great free game? Sign me up!

• Locked thread