Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

See also: why did Max have the dream of the hurricane destroying Arcadia Bay at the start of the game? If in the end she chooses to do nothing, the hurricane never happens, but the events of her photography class up until Chloe gets killed would be the same. Technically nothing goes wrong with time up until Max saves Chloe, and we already got the hurricane vision at the end of Monday, so why the dream during class?
Episodic format - devs thinking just teen drama wouldn't sell, gotta open on something that hooks the gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
I'm dying and this lp killed me

Couldn't there have been a third option for the people who actually did try to save everyone? Like if all the save-able people were saved then you could pile everyone into frank's RV and ride off into the sunset, or just evacuate the town early or something I don't know

I guess the writers were set on having a morally ambiguous ending. I picked Sacrifice Chloe because we were willing to kill her in the previous timeline to prevent the suffering of others. I can respect the alternate option though because gently caress time railroading

Guess Super Max wasn't so super after all.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
It seems as though one of the major forces in the game's plot is the immutability of time, or fate. Some people mentioned earlier that either of the game's final choices invalidate all the choices you've made through the game, but you could argue that the game (and the choices therein) up to that point exist to give greater context to the final choice. Having inevitability itself turn out be more or less be an antagonizing force is frustrating, and feels rather arbitrary, but I suppose it exists out of necessity to offset Max's abilities. Again, the reasoning and logic behind 'Chloe alive = catastrophe' is nebulous and insane, but some sort of rules that Max can't bend have to exist, I guess.

Even in the ending when we sacrifice the entire bay, by the game's own logic Chloe will be in a never-ending cycle of peril. Just wait until that peril manifests itself as a stroke or heart attack or any of another million things that can't be unwound, and it'll all be for nothing. Again, the necessity of Chloe's demise makes for decent drama, it's just a shame that the rules seem so arbitrarily slapped on to that one particular outcome.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

McKilligan posted:

Even in the ending when we sacrifice the entire bay, by the game's own logic Chloe will be in a never-ending cycle of peril. Just wait until that peril manifests itself as a stroke or heart attack or any of another million things that can't be unwound, and it'll all be for nothing

Life is Strange season 2:

"So Max I was thinking maybe Chinese food for dinn-"

*Chloe falls to the ground, dead immediately*
*Max sighs, rewinds*

"Chloe hold that thought I need to go fetch our defibrillator"

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Clearly the sequel will deal with the dark legacy of the Dread Warlock Sean Prescott.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Life is Strange season 2:

"So Max I was thinking maybe Chinese food for dinn-"

*Chloe falls to the ground, dead immediately*
*Max sighs, rewinds*

"Chloe hold that thought I need to go fetch our defibrillator"

At the end, a nearby star goes supernova, sterilizing Earth with a gamma ray burst.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
I like Captain Nuke's explanation of plot the best. In that the story is not really about time travel but about a girl learning that she has to be more assertive because she can't change the past the only difficulty I have is that you can choose not to sacrifice Chloe. Otherwise the plot would make sense as magical realism. Perhaps the true timeline is that Max witnessed Chloe's death and then has a bit of a psychological break, the whole life is strange could actually just be Max's own mental break down as she tries to cope with the loss of her friend and the fact she didn't do anything to stop it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's the good part: really, the only point this story could have had is that time rewinding powers ultimately don't solve anything. I'm mostly objecting to the way they decide to present it in.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Lessail posted:

I haven't watched the current episode yet, but I figure all those apocalypse events are happening because Max saved Chloe in the very beginning and the climactic choice is gonna be whether to die in the tornado with her or go back in time and let her be shot. It's a very time travel plot thing to do and I hope it doesn't happen

Close but whelp they went and did it. That sucks.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

See also: why did Max have the dream of the hurricane destroying Arcadia Bay at the start of the game? If in the end she chooses to do nothing, the hurricane never happens, but the events of her photography class up until Chloe gets killed would be the same. Technically nothing goes wrong with time up until Max saves Chloe, and we already got the hurricane vision at the end of Monday, so why the dream during class?

I take it the vision is part of "we are already in the time loop." It's also a neat hook to get you started and the second time thru the game.

I interpret the storm as caused by a literal butterfly effect (This effect grants the power to cause a hurricane in Arcadia Bay to a butterfly flapping its wings in also Arcadia Bay I guess). In the ending we saw it escape the window, in the beginning, we didn't see it after the photo. Perhaps it was captured in the toilets? It's a very technical possibility if you take the butterfly effect too literal. Could also vaguely explain the snow and whales (something weathery happened because of the butterfly), but not the two moons.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Rewatched the relevant part of the first episode and Max decides to save Chloe before she even knows who she is. Lesson of the game is to never try to save anyone if you have time travel powers because no matter what it'll be seen in the worst light and cause the end of the world

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lessail posted:

Rewatched the relevant part of the first episode and Max decides to save Chloe before she even knows who she is. Lesson of the game is to never try to save anyone if you have time travel powers because no matter what it'll be seen in the worst light and cause the end of the world

I think we all learned that already from "City On The Edge of Forever", really.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Actually letting Arcadia Bay be destroyed is good.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The ending is what I expected, but I can't imagine the game ending any other way.

It would have been interesting if the game deprived you of the last choice and instead decided which ending played based on Max's choices for the past week. It also would also be nice if we got a slightly longer "Sacrifice Arcardia Bay" ending, but if resources were scarce I am glad they focused on the other ending.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Oxxidation posted:

Lots o' words

Wow, there's pretty much all my thoughts on this ending, put better than I could. The purpose of this story was always Max's development to me, of her given power and coming to terms with the consequences of using it, so to me, both endings are good, because they are both a different way to interpret accepting the consequences of our actions. In one ending, she acquiesces to the wishes of her best friend to save her mother and the town, accepting her death as a result of her own actions, and in the other, Max takes responsibility herself by resolving not to time-travel, accepting the destruction the wanton use of her power caused. Both of them are definitive, and neither of them feel great (the former is certain tragedy, and the latter is the perusal of an uncertain future), and both feel like the natural consequence of Max's choices. The complaint of Max's choices "not mattering", therefore, seems strange to me, because Max remembers her choices and their consequences, because this is Max's story.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ZiegeDame posted:

Clearly the sequel will deal with the dark legacy of the Dread Warlock Sean Prescott.

"What is a Max? A miserable little pile of selfies! But enough talk, have at you!"

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
I just noticed something from the photos shown when you decide to sacrifice Chloe, we see Max with some photos, it could just be her reminiscing, but I think it could be her trying to see if she still has time travel powers.

I also wish to add to the growing feeling that the tornado was caused by Saving Chloe as kinda bullshit, throughout the whole game I was saying to myself "it can't just be that, there has to be a better explanation, there has to be more to it than that" but no, some malevolent deity just REALLY wants a specific teenager dead.

Also I don't really buy the whole "they ran out of money so they had to give us poor endings", first of all aren't episodic games supposed to be, if not immune, at least well protected against such things? Second it must have been REALLY poor planning for them have to rush the endings. If they had focused on the endings, THEN made the nightmare scenes they would have been able to make a pair of good endings, and all that would be lost would be a few setpieces, because, let's be honest, any of the scenes could have been cut and there would have been minimal difference if any.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

xelada posted:

Also I don't really buy the whole "they ran out of money so they had to give us poor endings", first of all aren't episodic games supposed to be, if not immune, at least well protected against such things?

No. Why would they be?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
What a wonderful, uplifting start to my day. I'm fine, doing just fine. The sun is shining and

fuuuuuuck me I'm wrecked

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

xelada posted:

I just noticed something from the photos shown when you decide to sacrifice Chloe, we see Max with some photos, it could just be her reminiscing, but I think it could be her trying to see if she still has time travel powers.

I also wish to add to the growing feeling that the tornado was caused by Saving Chloe as kinda bullshit, throughout the whole game I was saying to myself "it can't just be that, there has to be a better explanation, there has to be more to it than that" but no, some malevolent deity just REALLY wants a specific teenager dead.

I see it less as a malevolent deity and more as time-space bugging out after getting an exception.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

xelada posted:

I seriously don't believe that fate, or the universe, or God, or whatever, specifically wants Chloe dead, and if it doesn't get it, it's gonna throw a super-tornado sized tantrum.

If fate was actually out to get her, I'm sure it could do a much better job of it, but in the game all of Chloe's potential deaths are at least partly self-inflicted: She shoots herself, via ricochet; She lays down on the railway tracks; alt-Chloe asks Max to kill her; and she is lead into a trap in the Junkyard by Jefferson. None of that requires fate to be out to get her.

And then when Chloe does end up dead, shot by Jefferson, that does not stop the storm from coming. If Chloe's death is all that "fate" is bothered about, why does the tornado still happen?

-

Chloe getting shot in the bathroom is what reveals Max's powers to her, and leads directly to dozens of other changes to the timeline that she makes, large and small. If it had been the only change, then I don't think the storm would happen, or it would be considerably smaller.
Or if the initial triggering event had been something else (maybe seeing Kate jump off the roof on Tuesday?), then that would be the change Max would have to prevent to stop the tornado.

Well, that's my interpretation, at least.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

No. Why would they be?

They get some of the money they will/would make from sales while it is in production, making an effectively larger budget, it also gives data on things like popularity and what to focus on, or not focus on for that matter, allowing for more streamlined production (if it does well they can tart up bits, if it isn't doing so well they can cut extraneous bits).
They to reap all the advantages making a sequel brings, without quite as many of the pitfalls.
Maybe their plans when it came to how much each installment would cost to make where off, maybe the expect amount of money they would make as they where making it was off, or maybe they just didn't plan enough leeway/flexibility, I have no idea, I'm not dontnod. And honestly "ran out of money" always feels like a cop out to me, very often it's actually "we aren't good at planning".

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my rear; I could have sworn I remember it being mentioned as one of the advantages in some article I once read, and it seems to me like it should work that way; but I'm some random person on the internet, and I may just have poor logic and bad memory.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So the end of Life is Strange happened. And a lot of people were really pissed off (Seriously, the Games thread at the time was solid gold if you want to dig it up). I on the other hand was super pleased with the ending.

The game is essentially a teenage power fantasy. While some power fantasies revolve around being able to murder and kill, shrug off bullets, and generally be a badass, this games power fantasy revolves around being able to do the right thing at all times. Max goes from a shut in, with almost no friends, no one texting her, estranged from her childhood best friend to a super cool, loved, popular girl basically overnight all because of her time powers. But guess what, it can't always end well, no matter how hard you try you can't always do or say the right thing, it's impossible. Chloe, or the town have to die, there is nothing you can do. The entire game has hinted towards this, a lot of graffiti alludes to death, and wanting to die. Also Chloe continually being put into situations of death and danger allude to this as well.

I'm actually really glad the game does not explain Max's powers. In fact, in the ending we got it's not even entirely clear if she ever had them to begin with.

The biggest problem I have is honestly that they gave the player agency at all in the end. The game is about fate and life ultimately being out of your control, and to force the player to choose between two fates out of their control generally diminish that message.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012

Surprise Pizza posted:

interesting interpretation

You see that is also kinda the problem, no information or explanation about the strange meteorological (/ supernatural) effects means that all we have to go on is vague conjecture from characters and players, a game (or any other media) doesn't have to explain everything but if it doesn't even attempt to explain anything, the reason may as well be "because I said so" after all, if no good reason can be found, what evidence do we have one actually exists. That said, there probably was a good explanation that was imagined when the game was being made, at least, I hope so.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I believe that the LiS universe is sentient and a petty rear end in a top hat. It gave Max her powers expecting her to be the same and then became increasingly annoyed at her generally doing nice things with them instead so caused the escalating disasters to try and goad her onwards before giving up.

Oh you saved your friend... but she became an accomplice! That's fine, you don't have to work alone for this...

Yes, spill that paint! Get Victoria, get her! That's the way!

Come on dunk that nerd! Oh, um, ok. Or not. You're biding your time, I get that. Still I'd better break this up with some snow...

Max I don't think this is working out very well, you're mostly helping people. Dream bigger! Eclipse, weird huh? Come on, try and mess with people, it's fun!

Time to up the stakes I think: Dead whales! Oh... you're upset. Hmmm, ok.

Yes that's right! Screw with Frank, mess with his beans!

Oh you know what, screw this; this isn't working at all. Time to summon the hurricane...

Basically it turns out the thread was right and the happy ending is unlocked by dunking Warren all the time.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
You get to destroy an entire town of hets to save the girlf

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
code:
Max:     (going through Chloe's dresser drawer)
Max:     Jeez, a Seahawks bong... Chloe is going to get in a lot of trouble with something like this...
Max:     Leopard print underwear? Never knew you were so trashy Chloe.
Max:     I can't believe Chloe is smoking Camel Crushes still...
Chloe:   Max what the gently caress I can hear you.
Max:     (rewinds time)
Max:     (starts going through Chloe's other dresser) Hm. Fight Club on dvd.
Chloe:   Max oh my god

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Story was good, LP was good, thank you Panzer Skank.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
The couple things I don't understand because they weren't presented or followed up on (and hopefully explained in a bonus video?) are what actually constitutes a game over? Does the game just more or less say 'YOU DONE hosed UP" and force you to rewind time? I assume since everything eventually railroads you to this one binary choice you can't. for instance, let Chloe shoot herself in the graveyard or die to frank or anything.

And secondly, obviously the museum segment is supposed to pound in the railroad spike of "yes they really love each other" even if you as the player are a dense motherfucker, but what if you were generally a dick to Chloe the entire game (and even of bad enough decision maker to kiss warren) but made the right choices to keep her alive? I assume the museum dream is very different, correct?

I guess since it has been established that these are the only 2 endings, someone intentionally obtuse and/or not buying into the love plot is just going to go for the sacrifice chloe ending, oh well.

I think what I take away from this is it's a good idea but the illusion of choice is very unsatisfying but making a game that allows the player more freedom within the game's established rules would be prohibitively expensive in both development time and financial resources.

Edit: Oh yeah good LP of a questionably good game. Thanks Panzer.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Here's my pitch for Life is Strange 2: you play as someone who becomes immortal who at the start is jazzed about it but through the eons learns that they just want to die

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

Grizlor posted:

The couple things I don't understand because they weren't presented or followed up on (and hopefully explained in a bonus video?) are what actually constitutes a game over? Does the game just more or less say 'YOU DONE hosed UP" and force you to rewind time? I assume since everything eventually railroads you to this one binary choice you can't. for instance, let Chloe shoot herself in the graveyard or die to frank or anything.

At certain points, if you don't do things quickly enough or in the right way, time will freeze, the screen will turn black and white, and Max will say something like "Oh no, I need to rewind!" At that point, you have no other options but to rewind and try again.

quote:

And secondly, obviously the museum segment is supposed to pound in the railroad spike of "yes they really love each other" even if you as the player are a dense motherfucker, but what if you were generally a dick to Chloe the entire game (and even of bad enough decision maker to kiss warren) but made the right choices to keep her alive? I assume the museum dream is very different, correct?

I guess since it has been established that these are the only 2 endings, someone intentionally obtuse and/or not buying into the love plot is just going to go for the sacrifice chloe ending, oh well.

The game does at least leave it a little up to the player's choice and interpretation exactly what the relationship is between Max and Chloe. It could just be a strong childhood friendship rekindled through a series of intense emotional events, or as in this LP, suggest a more romantic interpretation. Either way, the game is pretty clear that Max cares deeply for Chloe, and it would take a fairly dense player to miss that. Even if you side against Chloe at various points, Max never has a "Oh, gently caress you Chloe, who gives a poo poo?" sort of attitude. The "museum" doesn't change that much, because most of the moments in it aren't defined by your choices - the only one I can think of it the kiss.

Of course, just because Max cares about Chloe, doesn't mean the player is going to, but I doubt that there's a relationship written in any media that 100% of people will buy into totally.

The same point could be made for the other ending. If the player decides they care about Chloe, but that Arcadia Bay is a stupid town filled with assholes, they're not going to feel much regret about choosing the "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay" ending.

Personally, by the end of the game I cared deeply for Chloe, and was fully on-board the "Pricefield" train, but I couldn't just let the whole town be destroyed. I chose the "Sacrifice Chloe" option, and it was pretty loving heartbreaking.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Grizlor posted:

If you are a bad enough decision maker to kiss Warren, then Max doesn't kiss Chloe in the Sacrifice Chloe ending, and I think the final journal entries are different too- less romantic, more platonic.

You can also avoid kissing Chloe by consistently siding against her throughout the game- not taking the blame for the joint, not letting her steal the money etc.

If you're mean to both Chloe and Warren on the same playthrough then Max doesn't get to kiss anyone before the world ends. A tragedy, to be sure.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
One thing that bugged was what happened with William and Chole. There was a way out of that one but Max wasn't thinking hard enough. Max could gone back again and warned William not to buy a new truck for his daughter. I do get it though that these kind of stories don't work that way and the message it's sending. Yeah I'm sure if she kept pushing it things would go full Silent Hill but I'd rather we see that reality itself rejects reviving the dead compared to the message that everything happens for a reason and it's all part of fate that can't be changed.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The game is essentially a teenage power fantasy. While some power fantasies revolve around being able to murder and kill, shrug off bullets, and generally be a badass, this games power fantasy revolves around being able to do the right thing at all times. Max goes from a shut in, with almost no friends, no one texting her, estranged from her childhood best friend to a super cool, loved, popular girl basically overnight all because of her time powers. But guess what, it can't always end well, no matter how hard you try you can't always do or say the right thing, it's impossible. Chloe, or the town have to die, there is nothing you can do. The entire game has hinted towards this, a lot of graffiti alludes to death, and wanting to die. Also Chloe continually being put into situations of death and danger allude to this as well.

This really makes sense and I finally understand why Max was behaving the way she was.There's the problem for me imagining what I would do that kind of power vs what Max does. It literally made little sense to me. I viewed Max as really just wanting to live her normal life and the power was just a fun toy for her she didn't understand. Another point that would have helped is to give us a full episode of with Max with no powers in the beginning in order to see that contrast.

Bottom line I didn't understand that a teen girl's power fantasy might involve being the most popular person in the school vs being a superhero which is what I desperately wanted Max to be.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

DropsySufferer posted:

One thing that bugged was what happened with William and Chole. There was a way out of that one but Max wasn't thinking hard enough. Max could gone back again and warned William not to buy a new truck for his daughter.

I am not really sure that William would have taken Max's warning (which would have come years before actually buying the truck comes up) seriously.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
So I guess the moral is that we only have one go around on this crazy wheel called life so everybody try to take care of the people you love because if you fail them you fail them for good.

gently caress that though, has anyone posted the real ending yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn67F0F_i1c

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Banemaster posted:

I am not really sure that William would have taken Max's warning (which would have come years before actually buying the truck comes up) seriously.

Yeah. Remember that Max can only travel through time through photographs- specifically photographs with her in it. Given that she wasn't in the photograph where chloe got the truck, there was no way she could travel to any point where William would know what she was talking about, or remember it later.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
The idea of time self-correcting if it goes off course is a thing in science fiction too. There was a whole subplot in LOST for a while where a person who was supposed to die keeps getting saved over and over with time travel shenanigans. It stands to reason that the nature of time itself needs Chloe dead to get back on course.

The problem with that line of thinking is the story isn't really about time travel and superpowers. Science fiction and fantasy are very rarely about what you actually see going on.

The only real problem I had with Sacrifice the Town ending was neither of them seem too broken up about everybody getting obliterated by a giant Time Storm.

That said, this was a really cool story and I'm glad I watched this LP. Good job, Panzer!

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 17, 2016

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
This and your OFF LP are two of the best things I've seen on these forums, Panzer. Bravo.

resurgam40 posted:

Yeah. Remember that Max can only travel through time through photographs- specifically photographs with her in it.

The photo of the butterfly she travelled to in order to sacrifice Chloe didn't have her in it, though?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Skelicopter posted:

The photo of the butterfly she travelled to in order to sacrifice Chloe didn't have her in it, though?

Look more closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Skelicopter posted:

This and your OFF LP are two of the best things I've seen on these forums, Panzer. Bravo.

http://lparchive.org/Saints-Row-2/ :colbert:

Trigger warning: crying

• Locked thread