Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Jenner posted:

I'm a bit late to the vote but can't we just let Nathan kill the blue haired anime girl and let nature run its course? He can't be so rich he can get away with actual murder.

Oh I guess we can. :smith:

gently caress Arcadia Bay. Lesbianism forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
This was a good let's play and I enjoyed it a lot, thank you for making it.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

resurgam40 posted:

Yeah. Remember that Max can only travel through time through photographs- specifically photographs with her in it.

Yeah, about that... She travels through time via a picture of a butterfly in a bathroom. She wasn't in that photo either.

It's a great game, i enjoyed the story, but for the sake of it being a game and making the story work, there are several little inconsistencies. See also: Rewinding doesn't move Max back in space, just time. Except the very first time when chloe gets shot and she rewinds herself back into her desk in Mr. Jeffersons class. If the game was totally consistent than Max would have just vanished from the class room and appeared in the bathroom.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jade Star posted:

Yeah, about that... She travels through time via a picture of a butterfly in a bathroom. She wasn't in that photo either.

As I mentioned in the last page - yes, yes she was.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

GlyphGryph posted:

As I mentioned in the last page - yes, yes she was.

If you look really close when she focuses on the picture, you can see her reflection in the bucket that the butterfly landed on.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
The "save Chloe" ending really bugs me when I sit down and think about it. Screw the town and everybody that lives there, apparently the master overlord of time itself accepts the sacrifice of all those people in order to pay for one girl continuing to live when her time was up. As people have said before, Max and Chloe don't stop to see if anyone survived or needs help, they just drive through the wreckage and impishly smile at each other as they hit the road. I get that they didn't spend a lot of time on this option, but really? Wouldn't a more fitting option be that the hurricane veers around and heads towards Chloe, trying to repair the damage of her being alive when she shouldn't be? (I get that the storm occurring after Jefferson kills Chloe contradicts this, but still.) Wouldn't it be a much more satisfying ending if Max decides that if she can't let Chloe die, that she should die with her when the storm hits them both?

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

gently caress that though, has anyone posted the real ending yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn67F0F_i1c

Lmao this owns, but I thought for sure you were gonna post this one, which I love dearly. Everyone watch that if you wanna see some real good fan made shippy poo poo cause it's so good.

Speaking of fan made poo poo I'm gonna dump some of my fav fanart in here now brace urselves

Everything Mollifiable draws is real beautiful and whimsical. These are only a few of my favorites from her so make sure you look at her art tag to roll around in it.

This is the first image in my all time fav fanart which is this series of short animated comics based on each song in the soundtrack, drawn by ScarlettheKnight. click that and look at all of em bc they're so so good and capture the mood of both the songs and the scenes from the game real well

Actually for other fan videos I love this really goofy cosplay skit set! It starts off a little weak but it gets real good by the end.

One last thing, here's Max's voice actor Hannah Telle singing Syd Matters - Obstacles. It's really pretty, she's so talented. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2z12d2yaqs

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I'm on mobile and can't post a screenshot but when it shows the diner sign in the save Chloe ending some of the letters are missing and it says "D I E" :spooky:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

The "save Chloe" ending really bugs me when I sit down and think about it. Screw the town and everybody that lives there, apparently the master overlord of time itself accepts the sacrifice of all those people in order to pay for one girl continuing to live when her time was up. As people have said before, Max and Chloe don't stop to see if anyone survived or needs help, they just drive through the wreckage and impishly smile at each other as they hit the road. I get that they didn't spend a lot of time on this option, but really? Wouldn't a more fitting option be that the hurricane veers around and heads towards Chloe, trying to repair the damage of her being alive when she shouldn't be? (I get that the storm occurring after Jefferson kills Chloe contradicts this, but still.) Wouldn't it be a much more satisfying ending if Max decides that if she can't let Chloe die, that she should die with her when the storm hits them both?

The save Chloe ending is all about finally deciding to live with the consequences of your decisions, and abandoning the arrogance that let's you believe that you can fix everything to focus on your responsibilities, to move on and live your life instead of dwelling forever in the past, and to stop letting yourself be controlled by circumstances by accepting that sometimes circumstances are outside your control, and you need to focus on what you can control. The save Chloe ending is the first time in the game that you make an actual decision, instead of letting yourself be pushed along by fate.

The "save Arcadia Bay" ending really bugs me because we just spent an entire episode time traveling and making things worse as often as better, and we have know reason to think letting Chloe die will fix everything, especially considering previous time travels haven't fixed anything even in realities where she is dead. We're letting someone die, we're gambling that Jefferson never gets caught, and we're doing it all without any assurance that it will fix a thing. It's the sort of arrogance that got us into the alt-reality, and it's not healthy.

Ultimately, we are not responsible for magical bullshit tornadoes. We are responsible for the people close to us.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Thanks, now I'm going to start crying again.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
If you want to talk alternate endings apparently there were originally plans for a third ending where Max saves both Chloe and Arcadia Bay by confronting Nathan in the bathroom before Chloe arrived and getting shot for her trouble, putting her into a coma and nixing the tornado since she never ends up using her time travel powers. She either wakes uo or remains in a coma depending on accumulated minor decisions in the game. There is apparently concept art of it and some cut dialog and an unused hospital environment buried in episode 5's code. One of the developers has since stated that they didn't want a third ending since it would be a "cop out" but sort of inadvertently confirmed its one time existence by stating that they ended up reusing the hospital environment for the visit to Kate in episode 4 which was apparently a last minute addition.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

It wouldn't

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Panzer Skank posted:

Speaking of fan made poo poo I'm gonna dump some of my fav fanart in here now brace urselves

Ooh ooh we posting fanart? Because I found some not too long ago relating to the ending. I saw it posted on facebook, but this tumblr might be the source? There's other LiS stuff there too.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Krysmphoenix posted:

Ooh ooh we posting fanart? Because I found some not too long ago relating to the ending. I saw it posted on facebook, but this tumblr might be the source? There's other LiS stuff there too.

I love that chloe is a sassy rear end in a top hat even as a ghost :')

Also here is a slice of my own personal suffering that i drew after finishing the game for the first time

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Panzer Skank posted:

Everything Mollifiable draws is real beautiful and whimsical. These are only a few of my favorites from her so make sure you look at her art tag to roll around in it.

You're right this is pretty dope

Gihyou
Feb 19, 2011

Oh God no the ball is gone.
My personal thought at the end was that Chloe had died at the very beginning, and the entire game is a representation of Max working through her grief (being there at the time, not having reached back out to Chloe beforehand, etc) through the prism of having time powers to undo mistakes. But her mind helps her cope by showing her that going back in time to fix things doesn't work and causes other problems, and in the end she has to come to terms with her friend's death. She never actually had time powers, there was never a tornado, etc, etc. Just one young person trying to work through something she wasn't equipped to.

Yes, this means Max has an overactive imagination...but she is a teenager.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Captian Nuke posted:

If you want to talk alternate endings apparently there were originally plans for a third ending where Max saves both Chloe and Arcadia Bay by confronting Nathan in the bathroom before Chloe arrived and getting shot for her trouble, putting her into a coma and nixing the tornado since she never ends up using her time travel powers. She either wakes uo or remains in a coma depending on accumulated minor decisions in the game. There is apparently concept art of it and some cut dialog and an unused hospital environment buried in episode 5's code. One of the developers has since stated that they didn't want a third ending since it would be a "cop out" but sort of inadvertently confirmed its one time existence by stating that they ended up reusing the hospital environment for the visit to Kate in episode 4 which was apparently a last minute addition.

Oh yeah before I forget! Related to this is this unused piece of concept art, where Max is out fighting the storm in a hospital gown?

A lot of the concept art in this game is really beautiful, here's a link if you want to see more

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cut art from the boss fight against Warlock Sean Prescott, who's just offscreen flinging more objects at Max.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Many thanks of the great LP Panzer!
Linking all the fanart made me remember Koethe Koethe, a youtuber that's been making quite a couple songs based on LiS.
Entirely possible they've been linked here before, but ah.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_YH1XwKYHHzRKMjiTg0Sow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzdSepr9xKA

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Cut art from the boss fight against Warlock Sean Prescott, who's just offscreen flinging more objects at Max.

But in the end it has to be this way

Preferably the way Max learns to master her timestop abilities and just shreds anything that tries to kill Chloe.

TwoPair posted:

You're right this is pretty dope

Wow, this is really cute.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Captian Nuke posted:

I was honestly expecting the final choice of the game to be between this and sacrificing Chloe, once I figured out that the game was leading up to jumping through the original butterfly photo. I think I would have liked it better as an option than "let an entire town die and run away with your manic pixie dream girl." (Not to say that I don't fully support adorable teen lesbians, because I do; it was just a really unsatisfying ending.)

suddenly cats fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 18, 2016

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
The save Chloe ending just kind of leaves me imagining an argument they have down the line:

"You killed my mom and stepdad."
"I did it so I could be with you."

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Panzer Skank posted:

A lot of the concept art in this game is really beautiful, here's a link if you want to see more

Wait where's Neil Gaiman here, I don't remember him showing up at all.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I think that may be the homeless lady whose name I forgot.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I guess in the save Chloe ending you're supposed to draw a parallel between them letting the town be destroyed and how they talk through the whole story about running off to Los Angeles and never coming back. It's same outcome either way - Arcadia Bay and everyone in it would be as dead to them as Rachel, who they believe has also "run off to Los Angeles" until they find her body in the junkyard. In that mindset, leaving Arcadia Bay and its residents behind as literally dead isn't much different than leaving them behind figuratively dead. The Max that saves Arcadia Bay is going to be a small-town girl living a small-town life like Joyce. The Max that saves Chloe is going to take risks and do big things, like Rachel would have. I can't imagine "a pile of hundreds of corpses" as a healthy foundation for any relationship though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Panzer Skank posted:

Lmao this owns, but I thought for sure you were gonna post this one, which I love dearly. Everyone watch that if you wanna see some real good fan made shippy poo poo cause it's so good.

The only good thing about this fan ending is the Hotdog Man statue.

:colbert:

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Just caught up. Great LP.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hello hello, one last time I've got a :siren:NEW BONUS VIDEO:siren:

:siren:Why was the save chloe ending so short? What was the deer doing? How did that loving bird keep getting into Chloe's house??? I got a bunch of random theories for you here!:siren:

I love hearing new theories about what all the stuff in the game means though so please don't hesitate to throw your own ideas around! I hope my silly video spawns hecka new ideas. :allears:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I know it's entirely due to my viewing history, but whenever I see a Fun Home song in the related videos column it just feels right.

Thank you for this video, and the whole LP.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
Yay bonus video!

Your theory is pretty cool and really well thought out and one that I hadn't seen before. It also does a good job of tying the mystical elements of the plot into the ending itself. It certainly makes me feel less bad about preferring that ending :hfive:

Great LP, it inspired me to buy the game and I know I'll be keeping an eye on DOTNOD in the future.

Captian Nuke fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 21, 2016

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
But what happened to Lisa?

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

But what happened to Lisa?

She lives on forever in our hearts. Also in the square-enix store as merchandise with CONSEQUENCES

whispers i know it's a joke i just love it im sorry

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Panzer Skank posted:

She lives on forever in our hearts. Also in the square-enix store as merchandise with CONSEQUENCES

Every game studio should have an official plant for sale.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
Thank you for the great LP Panzer!

I was actually kinda bummed by both endings. None of them felt right for me.
But your bonus video with theories/explanations made me feel better about both of them.

I am totally save Chloe now!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Wow, those interpretations sound really convincing and I actually like those endings a bit more with those in mind.
To be honest, I was one of those people who liked the game, but didn't really think they managed to stick the landing. But thinking about it this way is interesting.

Thanks for the great LP Panzer. You showed it off really well. Even though you were mean to David.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 20, 2016

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
Well I didn't like the ending till I watched your explanation. Thank you for your view.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Thanks for the LP Panzer. And I really like your theories.

But IMO this game could have and should have been gayer.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I can't believe I didn't realize the blue jay = Chloe connection until you pointed it out.

One of the crazy fan theories I saw was the one about Alyssa being an alien (or perhaps a time traveler, or someone else with powers) who is 'testing' Max to see if she will use her powers. It also seemed to think that Rachel Amber had powers as well.

A part of it makes for a plausible interpretation - it could be that Rachel Amber is offering her power to Max, precisely so that Max can save Chloe. In that case, the storm is Rachel Amber's ghostly rage at Chloe being killed (or potentially killed, assuming Rachel understands that Max could ruin it for her). There is then an actual person behind the weird events, who is demanding that Chloe survive. It could even be that this explains how Chloe seems to fall for Max so quickly; perhaps some of Rachel's 'soul' is in Max once she gets powers. In the 'save the town' ending, Max has refused to accept Rachel's influence, and that makes RA powerless in the world.

hopHeadless
Aug 24, 2014
I really liked the final analysis video! Lots of stuff I never would have known otherwise! It's a rare LP that can be both entertaining and thought-provoking!

This post was originally going to be about how much I disliked the final choice, but the more I chewed on it the more I came to understand and respect the way the game pulled it off. An argument can be made for each decision, even though neither makes for a particularly satisfying ending.

Choosing to save Arcadia Bay is the more straightforward "good" choice from a utilitarian perspective, but it invalidates all the struggles and genuine heroism that Max pulls off with the powers she receives. The outcome is unaffected by whether or not Max did everything she could to make things right or abused her power for personal gain. Her initial desire to prevent one death ends up killing hundreds of innocent people. Sitting passively while the woman she loves is killed resolves every conflict set up in the game. This is the traditional time-travel moral: fate is immutable. Submit to fate or suffer.

Saving Chloe, on the other hand, is a breath of fresh air for allowing Max to defy fate and live with the choices she made and their consequences. Her actions, her trials and herculean efforts to save Chloe are validated, and her love for Chloe is given a much deeper significance. But that's still quite the body count to have on one's conscience. Even if the nature symbolism implies that the town, built on sacred ground, should not remain and needs to be destroyed, does that mean that Kate, Joyce, Warren, David, Alyssa, Daniel, Samuel etc. all deserve a horrifying death? Is Max and Chloe's teenage romance worth that kind of carnage? Can love bloom on the battlefield destroyed remains of your hometown?

In an abstract sense, the choice totally works:
Passion (Sith ending)- The raw idealism of a true love worth fighting against fate for, plus the ugly selfish cost of favoring one life over many
Peace (Jedi Ending)- The serenity in choosing innocent lives over one true love while rejecting the ability to defy fate

In the end I still think that the sheer body count tips the scale towards the Save Arcadia Bay ending. If the Save Chloe ending was less vague, confirming some survivors of the storm or at least making the girls look at least slightly upset at the aftermath, I could swallow that choice a lot better. As it stands, while saving Chloe is the more bold and interesting choice from a storytelling standpoint, the execution was lacking. I wish they had more time to flesh it out and make the girls seem less psychopathic for just driving off into the sunset through the bodies and rubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Panzer Skank posted:

Top comment from that post;

+ yousuckasshole - 02/05/2015 09:45
I couldn't care less about merchandise, when will the remaining episodes be released? I bought your **** season pass and I'm not getting my moneys worth! More than thirty days wait for new episodes is not cool. Season pass holders should at least be given release dates.

drat that dude is super angry about spending money to play a game as a teenage girl.

• Locked thread