Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wow. Just wow. I watched football this weekend and they are talking about Veterans. They spent tens of thousands of dollars to reoutfit every team with camo style sideline gear so we can tell the NFL cares. Local places are giving me free meals and discounts because I'm a veteran. A lot of patriotic music is playing in places, and its clear that a lot of people Support Are Troops. The local grocery store is giving out free breakfast.

So of course I log onto Something Awful expecting at least a free avatar, free archives, SOMETHING FREE to show that Lowtax cares about our vets. Instead we are met with silence.

Silence from someone who obviously doesn't recognize that freedom isn't free and that my military service entitles me to a ton of free poo poo.

Just like years past when I made the paper for complaining there weren't enough deals for local veterans, here too shall SA feel the wrath of the Veterans.

Lowtax CLEARLY doesn't care about sacrifice and I just wanted to call him out for being a care-nothing liberal that hates America. Not even a camo background for GBS. Shameful. I'm scheduled to go on Fox News in 3 hours, prepare yourself for a world of hurt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Wait is today Veterans Day?

No its tomorrow, but like every other entity in the United States, it officially started on Saturday and goes through the end of this week.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

I'm a veteran of many internet flame wars, when is my holiday?

Depends on which side you were fighting for.

Ibogaine posted:

Alright, I am not even joking anymore, because this is genuinely hard to understand for me. Does that mean that by some weird definition, there are days that last from Saturday to the end of the week in the US? So do things like "Labor day" or "Women's day" or "MLK day" last for a week as well?

As I said, I am not trying to be snarky right now or anything. How does that work?

Its not an official holiday for the whole week, but they did start celebrating and alluding to it on Saturday.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ibogaine posted:

So is it comparative to the run up towards christmas, when shops put up decorations early and begin to sell christmasy stuff in Octobre? Or is it more official and codified than that?

I wouldn't say its as comparative. I don't think anything can compare to the nonsense that is Christmas. They just put up Christmas lights in downtown here YESTERDAY.
But its up there. They did redo all of the NFL's gear and the commercials and stuff have really kicked up. The DoD does definitely push the idea quite a bit now a days though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ibogaine posted:

I didn't know any of that. The last time I was in the US in November was more than 20 years ago, and I didn't notice any of that. Maybe there was less of it back in the 90s.

Anyway, thanks! It always feels good to learn something new!

edit: I mean that I didn't notice the veteran's day decorations. There was a lot of tacky christmas stuff around early, but then again that is the same here.

Granted, I wasn't an adult back in the 90s to notice it, but I can say that its definitely become more of a thing. Corporatization has really profound impacts on American culture by putting it in our face. It used to be "Woo Veterans Day sale, come on down!". Now its a 3 hour special on TV, everything is themed Veterans day, Corporations are giving freebies to vets and putting it EVERYWHERE, non profits are broadcasting their friendliness to the Vets and so on. The reach is a lot further when there is money involved.

I was really surprised when I watched football Sunday. I mean sure, honor the vets, but literally every team had an entire wardrobe brand new with camo interspersed with team colors. That had to cost millions to do for every team with multiple units per person on the sideline. Maybe we should just call it the Komenization of everything since they started it.

GET ON IT LOWTAX.

EvilJoven posted:

Unless you fought in WW2 you served in a military fighting unjust Wars to protect western hegemony and line the pockets of corporatist scum by killing people we had no business killing and can get hosed.

Happy Veterans Day.

Does that make them victims or jerks?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I prefer Memorial Day over Veteran's Day, at least the folks we celebrate on Memorial Day had the courtesy to die.

God drat.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Snatch Duster posted:

OP, you should have died in whatever country you fought in.

Happy vets day!

Gonna have to go with, gently caress you.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, I didn't even keep my CAC after I got out. Turns out there is nothing on any base I will ever need and staying the gently caress away continues to be awesome

I kept mine just so I can easily get discounts on days like that. I don't even have the same last name anymore, but I'll be god damned if George W isn't going to at least get me a free appetizer at Applebees.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aralan posted:

USA, Canada, Australia isn't a number, idiot

Lol Applewhite just got owned.

Lowtax, this has been a 24 hour notice, I fully expect patriotic backgrounds, free poo poo, and maybe a special on TV to commemorate the SA Veterans that were sent to war for your freedom!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I should be rewarded like the Roman Legionaires. gently caress free Applebees, I want a few whores and some fuckin gold or cash.

And archives and a new gbs background what the gently caress Lowtax. Literally ISIS right now.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

concerned mom posted:

roman legionaires got to settle farms in their conquered land. seeing as isis now own everything you fought in, even a roman would be poo poo out of luck

What I'm saying is as a veteran I should be allowed to cuck anyone I want on this day consequence free, and I should get cash instead of 10% off

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

so basically it should be opposite day for one day a year

Exactly

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All of that stuff is genuinely important.

But none of it gets me some free meals or some easy sex with immature women soo.......not the place for it here.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Makes sense. Lowtax probably getting 50 bloomin onions with his stolen valor while GBS veterans get nothing.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

As a veteran I'd just be happy getting a hummer from a half black Asian while I sip a toasted almond mocha-chino. I'll even let you non-serving poo poo suckers spout off with all your "freedumb" & jebeuz bullshit that you think we give a gently caress about.

A good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

dirk0 posted:

A hummer from Tiger Woods?

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I think the post was pretty clear.

• Locked thread