Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Going to be the best brick joke if that monkey dies in fifty strips due to Audrey killing it. Or, something in the room kills the monkey and is going to kill the rest of them if they don't leave now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Nah, showing the baboon its death over and over again traumatized it enough to get it to leave them alone is funnier if it's something that we never see actually happen.

And that this was accomplished by relentless bludgeoning.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I wonder if it got shown a different death every time because the previous vision meant it was able to avoid that death. That'd be even more traumatising I think.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I wonder if the gem 'fast-forwards' your vision to the point in the alternate no-vision timeline where you die, or if you have to live through it all Butterfly Effect style. We don't know yet because Lyndon's death was imminent.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't know if anybody's been watching Preacher, but there's a pair of characters who bear more than a passing resemblance to Fusk and Vorte from Hitmen for Destiny, and the most recent episode had an action scene that was extremely Oyvind-esque in its mechanics.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Prediction: Klara has learned to lie quick-smart. She didn't have a vision, and has realized that she IS the vision - the version of Klara whose death another Klara will see.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

BiggerJ posted:

Prediction: Klara has learned to lie quick-smart. She didn't have a vision, and has realized that she IS the vision - the version of Klara whose death another Klara will see.

If she was, in vision, consciously deciding to go outside to see if something kills her, would she care who goes with her? Seems more likely she either saw someone in the party kill her (and she wants to get away from them) or she believes splitting the party will avoid whatever death she saw.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Bobulus posted:

If she was, in vision, consciously deciding to go outside to see if something kills her, would she care who goes with her? Seems more likely she either saw someone in the party kill her (and she wants to get away from them) or she believes splitting the party will avoid whatever death she saw.

I think she's just Seen herself live a good long while, live a fairly substantial amount of that time in a relationship with Trixie and then at some point die and suddenly be reverted back to the present and have that entire history she lived through suddenly cease to exist.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

team overhead smash posted:

I think she's just Seen herself live a good long while, live a fairly substantial amount of that time in a relationship with Trixie and then at some point die and suddenly be reverted back to the present and have that entire history she lived through suddenly cease to exist.

That would be really bittersweet, but as a professional adventurer and studier of extremely deadly monsters I somehow doubt that her life expectancy is that high.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, now it makes sense.

There's a shapeshifter lurking around. First Klara saw 'Trixie' kill her, so she's trying to get away from Trixie. Then, Trixie saw herself get killed when she was confused with the shapeshifter.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

So we know it skips to the the big finale. Good. No time abysses here.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Oh, now it makes sense.

There's a shapeshifter lurking around. First Klara saw 'Trixie' kill her, so she's trying to get away from Trixie. Then, Trixie saw herself get killed when she was confused with the shapeshifter.

So it's really convenient that Audrey and Trixie just learned at least a few words in a language literally no one else knows, then.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/83/

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Wow, so Klara really was just bugging put and leaving Trixie and Lyndon in a room with a shapeshifter. Cold.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mya not be a shapeshifter. May just want to kill him in the belief that this will undo the candyfication spell.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
My first assumption was that she saw Lyndon killing her and she's just a really good liar.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So Klara saw Trixie kill her, Trixie saw Audrey kill her, Audrey saw Lynton kill her, and presumably Lynton is going to see Klara kill him.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

So Klara saw Trixie kill her, Trixie saw Audrey kill her, Audrey saw Lynton kill her, and presumably Lynton is going to see Klara kill him.

And it's all completely circular and there are no traitors/shapeshifters at all.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

And it's all completely circular and there are no traitors/shapeshifters at all.

This would be the most Thorsbyesque explanation, but it doesn't really explain what Audrey meant by "Thought you could trick me?"

Plus then the resolution isn't "if you were a jacket, would you be lenkledaur or lenkledilk?"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Maybe this is what the scepter of Death does, it makes everyone kill each other (by showing futures where they get killed by their friends).

Yeah what Cat Mattress said is what I had in mind.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Knowing Thorsby the shapeshifter is a being that evolved near the Scepter to specifically take advantage of this property to separate its prey.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Also, I have to wonder if the flag of the people who hired them has anything to do with this. If they knew about the Scepter's powers, maybe they used to own it and an incident like this was part of the founding of their country somehow.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Looks like the gem is better designed than I thought. It skips to the good stuff (avoiding the psychological trauma of a long life lost - but as we've seen, details are important). And it may be showing timelines where they didn't touch the gem (rather than touch it and get no vision), so my theory about vision tainting is shot. THAT theory, anyway.

I've just realized - all this paranoia is going to taint the HELL out the gem's visions. Think about this scenario - A touches the scepter and sees themselves being killed by a shapeshifter they don't know about in B's form. B touches the scepter and sees themselves being killed by A for obvious reasons.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 13, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I mean, I assumed it was a shapeshifter. But maybe it's just a round-robin of paranoia.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/84/

I'm sure it'd break after the first swing, but wouldn't a candy sword still be pretty pointy?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

In a D&D-style world that also has a bunch of trappings of modern society, "deranged sociopath" seems like it would be less of a psychological diagnosis and more of a career day evaluation.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, geez, what a comedy of errors this will be.

Assuming the demon hasn't already been released (and that it's not just a bullshit madeup demon to keep away burglars), these two nuns now think they can safely access the closet. One of them could decide to swipe the gold and get possessed, leading to a murder-mystery situation that would result in the predicted deaths.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
If the demon possesses somebody until they die and then goes away, I wonder how they found out about it. Klara didn't point it out so I assume there's no visual cue.
(Also, "will possessed you," nice job language cultists)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/85/

If anyone touched the closet, it was not on-panel.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
But the message suggests that just making it move is enough. The first we see of it is here: http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/81/ and it looks like Klara was the one to move it.

So Klara runs off because she's the demon. Audrey sees herself being killed by Trixie because she and Lyndon think Audrey's the demon. Trixie sees herself being killed by Audrey because Audrey, having seen her vision, thinks Trixie and Lyndon are going to kill her.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Eeevil posted:

If the demon possesses somebody until they die and then goes away, I wonder how they found out about it. Klara didn't point it out so I assume there's no visual cue.
(Also, "will possessed you," nice job language cultists)

because Mother Diane told them it's there and obvs anyone found touching her loot cabinet is lying about not being a demon

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Whybird posted:

But the message suggests that just making it move is enough. The first we see of it is here: http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/81/ and it looks like Klara was the one to move it.

So Klara runs off because she's the demon. Audrey sees herself being killed by Trixie because she and Lyndon think Audrey's the demon. Trixie sees herself being killed by Audrey because Audrey, having seen her vision, thinks Trixie and Lyndon are going to kill her.

The first we see of it is the page before, and Klara does indeed mention moving it--using a lever mechanism, so I'm not sure if that counts. She was the one to suggest they touch the scepter, which seems to be an effective way of getting them all to kill each other.

But I feel like "no one's actually the demon yet" is the twist here, if only because the sisters are so confident they don't have to worry about anyone else getting possessed. (And then deciding to split up based on that information, the #1 way to get killed in basically any fictional situation.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Carrasco posted:

The first we see of it is the page before, and Klara does indeed mention moving it--using a lever mechanism, so I'm not sure if that counts. She was the one to suggest they touch the scepter, which seems to be an effective way of getting them all to kill each other.

She only mentions pulling a lever that opened a hatch. I don't see any reason to assume this moved the closet. Notably I don't see the trace of a mechanism that would allow to slide the closet over and off the hatch.

Also I'm still skeptical about the whole demon guardian thing.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
New episode!

These guys really aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, are they?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's a great punchline. Audrey is the best character Thorsby's ever come up with.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

She's like the protagonist from Hitmen for Destiny, except she starts off bloodthirsty and murderous and just happened to be born in a world where you can make a living that way.

e: Also the fact that there's a crowbar next to a rune-covered axe on the wall there is another one of those "high fantasy with t-shirts" things that I can't wait to see the explanation for.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 24, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Carrasco posted:

She's like the protagonist from Hitmen for Destiny, except she starts off bloodthirsty and murderous and just happened to be born in a world where you can make a living that way.

e: Also the fact that there's a crowbar next to a rune-covered axe on the wall there is another one of those "high fantasy with t-shirts" things that I can't wait to see the explanation for.
It's for opening things with. Obviously.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Sit your candy axe down!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
"Don't see that every day."

That's just understated enough that I am worried there's an actual Candymancer running around or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Prediction: One of the women running away trips and dies. Due to causing someone to die from fear caused by his pacifist magic, Lyndon loses the ability to turn object into candy.