Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

BiggerJ posted:

Prediction: Klara has learned to lie quick-smart. She didn't have a vision, and has realized that she IS the vision - the version of Klara whose death another Klara will see.

If she was, in vision, consciously deciding to go outside to see if something kills her, would she care who goes with her? Seems more likely she either saw someone in the party kill her (and she wants to get away from them) or she believes splitting the party will avoid whatever death she saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, now it makes sense.

There's a shapeshifter lurking around. First Klara saw 'Trixie' kill her, so she's trying to get away from Trixie. Then, Trixie saw herself get killed when she was confused with the shapeshifter.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I mean, I assumed it was a shapeshifter. But maybe it's just a round-robin of paranoia.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, geez, what a comedy of errors this will be.

Assuming the demon hasn't already been released (and that it's not just a bullshit madeup demon to keep away burglars), these two nuns now think they can safely access the closet. One of them could decide to swipe the gold and get possessed, leading to a murder-mystery situation that would result in the predicted deaths.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

We see with the rabbit that the mind's natural impulses have an influence on the Mind Mugger. If it had possession of a human, would they be able to, say, make it talk or reason? ...would it actually still be a danger, or just a non-threat where the person is basically using it like an involuntary organic mech?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I'm suspicious of this guy. Partly because he makes all these wild claims and even Klara hasn't heard of his species, but mostly because he's Elf Hobo Captain Planet.

Well, the mind mugger that controlled him said the same things, but we've seen Mind Muggers are perfectly capable of lying, so that doesn't actually tell us much. My favorite scenario is that he believes these things, but he's actually just crazy and the place doesn't exist.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

He "finds it hard to believe" that they decided just two hours ago what to do. If they had information coming from that conversation (bug/informant), that comment makes no sense.

My money is on some sort of future-predicting device.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So when they get the artifact and, inevitably, everyone's brains get switched with animals and they lose track of who is who, at some point the only way to tell will be if Samantha can cast a spell or not.

Or someone is present as an animal when she casts something and that's how they find out about her elite team of ninja helpers.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So. Only one of them needs to become undrugged to save the day here. One look and they can destroy the impossible ones. So how do they do that? Let's brainstorm.

1) find magical item, switch bodies with undrugged animal.
2) Make Lyndon stretch, turn his stomach inside out and manually dump out the next dose.
3) ????

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Can they possess a parrot that already has a human mind? I thought the deal with the artifact was that it didn't work that way.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Considering they've faded away in eye-view three times now, I feel like the protagonists could make a very good case (to 'reality', I guess?) that any future carniroos, even if possible, would be likely to be magic just on pattern alone.

I figured the wand would 'break' after the first time they figured it out, but I guess not.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

... Is someone going to end up controlling the bottom half of the jouster?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Honestly, the way to game this system would be to obfuscate the way they die such that they can't plan for it. The scepter only shows a few moments prior to their deaths, after all. Like, subdue them by drugging their food, and then tie them up (and gag them, of course, so they couldn't shout a warning to past selves), and then kill them after they wake up, so it isn't obvious in any future-visions that they were ever drugged.

But that's a lot of work when no one other than Audrey really wants to kill them in the first place.

...think they'll keep the scepter this time, or sell it again?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

maltesh posted:

The holder of the scepter can freely take actions that invalidate its predictions. I'd assume Trixie's party are /probably/ safe to let Audrey loose, but they don't know exactly what death was seen in the scepter at the last check, and keeping the most murderous member of the party secured helps make sure that any potential death prediction occurs in the far future, and didn't reveal the party's near-future location.

What I just realized is that even if the protagonists hold on the scepter, that magic-user might still have one last scepter-vision to use against them. After all, if they encounter her again, Aubrey will probably try to kill her. And whoever is trying to stop Trixie will probably send the same agent for just that reason.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

We all saw today's reveal coming, right?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sanford posted:

Did we see her eat one of the others previously?

No, but she checked the location of the first one off-camera and reported it was already gone. Presumably she ate that one, too. So the question becomes: why?

- Increasing rarity to balloon the price?
- Deliberately sabotaging Trixie for some reason?
- Cupcakes are just tasty as hell and she is too tempted?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So, this should work. I want to point out that all of this happened in that same Scrooge McDuck comic I linked earlier. You all should read it, it's quite fun.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

But the caper here is that the vision-Skyggemyrians are going to keep Lyndon alive until the war ends, and then right before they kill him, they tell him everything they need their real selves to know. So he has a vision about a Skyggemyrian saying "this city has better defenses than it seems, don't attack it" or whatever, and then stabbing him.

Which means that even if this is all a vision that'll get undone, there's still something actually at stake. If vision-Audrey rescues him, then she can make sure he dies in a way that doesn't give them any information. She can even make sure real-Lyndon has information that helps him escape the embassy without being taken prisoner.

It could be all this, but there's also another possibility: simple self-preservation. The Skyggemyrian knows that it will die (because the timeline ends) as soon as Lyndon dies. So it's keeping him alive and out of the way for the rest of Lyndon's life, so that the Skyggemyrian has live the rest of its life.

If they just wanted war info, they could have killed him instantly and had a Skyggemyrian touch the scepter instead. Lyndon would be inclined to lie to his captors, after all.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nah, all this time wouldn't have been spent this way if there wasn't a way to go back and change things. And rather than introducing a new time-travel method or something, it makes way more sense to use the pre-existing simulation concept.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I suppose a possible explanation is that while planet Earth has stars within 5 light years, planet whatever might not.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think we're all on the same page. The only remaining question is: Did they have a plan based around keeping Lindon alive (as in: using him to pass back info), or were they keeping him alive (and as healthy as possible) only to prolong their own simulated lives?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, I have an idea how you'd defeat a person like this! Make your last sword a fake, a foam replica or something. So when she steals it, it's completely useless to her. Then just beat her to death with your fists.

Or, yeah, if she's a pacifist mage, she can't use any of the sword she's stealing, and she better hope she doesn't accidentally drop one of these swords on someone.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alright, I was totally wrong. It's not just weapons you have in your hand, its a lot more flexible.

...it would be a little ironic if she somehow dies of snakebite when that was their original plan to deal with her. Like, if Audrey makes the conscious decision to treat a snake as a weapon, so it gets stolen instead of a sword, and then it bites her.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This 'random' plan isn't truly random, and so isn't going to work. I think. They need to somehow seed the randomness after the staff is used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

That puzzle is really fun to solve, BTW. Kudos to Thorsby!