Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lyndon's definitely right. We spent a huge portion of the comic in a sceptre universe, and it's hammered out over and over again that the people in that universe are equally "real".

The logic behind it is just: for prophecy to work, you have to use determinism. To deterministically discover the future based on the present, you have to simulate future events with 100% accuracy. Even a tiny deviation ruins your experiment. So, to simulate future events with 100% accuracy, you have to create individuals who are identical in every single way to the individuals you want to generate a prophecy for. You also have to create circumstances for them that are 100% identical to their current circumstances. Anything that could conceivably affect their future in any way must be slavishly modelled. That necessitates an equally accurate recreation of the population of their entire planet.

The sceptre is flawed because it can't model prophecy based on interstellar events - its scope is restricted to things that are going to happen in a ginormous, but limited, radius around the point it's used from. Other than that though, everything indicates that the inhabitants of the sceptre universe are as "real" as the characters in the main universe. If they weren't identical in every way, the sceptre's deterministic model wouldn't work, because being "not real" would be a deviation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dinosaurs! posted:

Couldn’t the scepter just be simulating the behavior of everyone besides the scepter-toucher the same way tech companies can make a ghost profile of who I am/what I like based on metadata? They don’t actually exist, but the scepter accurately knows what they’d do. Am I creating and destroying universes of people every time I dream?

If those "ghost profiles" were accurate enough to actually predict the future in minute detail rather than just being a portfolio of your vital statistics, hobbies and interests (which is what they are), then they too would, by necessity, be as real as you are. You can't deterministically simulate the future from a series of premises: for true deterministic accuracy, you need a complete reproduction of every last circumstance.

Likewise, your dreams aren't precisely accurate reproductions of real people or events, they're your brain jumbling your memories around. Not at all equivalent!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Not necessarily. Think of it like this:

Once upon a time, a mighty king became obsessed with his own impending mortality. He approached his court wizard, most powerful in all the land, and said "use your magicks to fashion me a device that will let me see the moment of my death, that I might evade the reaper's chill touch!" And the loyal wizard said "aye, my sire!"

And then he spent the next year yelling at his scrolls, saying "gently caress's sake, does he have any idea what he asked me to do? you can't just 'see the future', you have to simulate a whole universe, and he's not giving me nearly enough magic crystals or Potions of the Scarlet Steer for that."

At long last, his work came to an end, for on that day he made a most mystical proclamation to himself: "Ahh screw it, there's still some edge cases but whatever, I'll ship it like this. If he sees himself dying at night because there wasn't any starlight to see by, I'll just mumble something about a grand cataclysm only his grace can avert."

And so it was.

For real. I love how the Sceptre of Death isn't clearly the result of malice. It works imperfectly (and maybe causes immense amounts of non-obvious suffering) because of limitations in its practical design. The "can only simulate a 500 light year radius around the user" thing totally screams "there wasn't enough processing power to do this properly so the wizard had to cheat".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Klara's mercy allowed swingball to come into the world. A moving argument for compassion if ever I've seen one.