Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Android Blues posted:

There can't be a traitor already in the group, or the Vice President wouldn't have approached Lyndon. The Traditionalists wouldn't need two traitors.

Unless they knew he would say no, and wanted him to think there wasn't another traitor, or wanted him to say no but then be suspicious of everyone else in the group because he would then wonder who else had been approached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Thorsby's depiction of flirting is amazing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

"Well, I'm from Diabolica and I've never heard anyone use the phrase 'wall people'."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Android Blues posted:

Calling it: Samantha's not insane, and she really does do plausible deniability magic. She just hangs around with insane people because if you're insane, anything you might see is plausibly deniable, making her a ludicrously powerful wizard.

Yeah, my bet is she puts some kind of drug in the coffee (or even just makes it taste weird so people think it's plausible they've been drugged) so that she can do plausible deniability magic out in the open with people unsure if what they're seeing is real magic or a drug-induced hallucination.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm disappointed he didn't try to lie his way out of it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Plausible deniability magic would be unbeatable in a religious community because you could even do it out in the open and then say maybe God did it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm glad each adventure Lyndon has learned one and only one spell but it turns out to be a perfect spell to escape whatever predicament they end up in. I wonder how he will accidentally kill someone this time so he loses his Plastic Man spell again.

e: also doesn't this mean he could have stretched his way out of the ropes when Samantha had him and Audrey tied up a few comics ago?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
New comic, http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/259

I love Thorsby's gift for physical comedy in comic form

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well we've already seen how he doesn't just stretch forever, he snaps back like an elastic band as well. So maybe they'll push him so far opening the door that he snaps back and slams the door shut, killing one and therefore losing his pacifism magic again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What an amazing workaround.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Audrey remains unchanged.

http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/293

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

davidspackage posted:

You know... the plan worked, you could let Audrey kill them now.

Wait, it's Thorsby. It'd turn out they were faking unconsciousness and had set a trap. Sorry.

They definitely cannot let Audrey kill them, because the sceptre can actually see the future. If they did release Audrey, then the others would have seen that happening and done something differently. The only way for their plan to have worked is to actually completely prevent Audrey from doing so, so that when the others use the sceptre they see a completely different death, like dying in their sleep fifty years from now or something.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Lyndon continues to be the worst. If he'd made it gravitate toward a wall it would've had a much harder time chasing them.

Wait until it jumps then make it gravitate back out the door

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That thing can't weigh that much more than Klara, she should be rising very slowly.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
He's gonna use his right hand which is touching the building to invert the building's gravity and send them all shooting into space

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
He may be an idiot but at least he's a loyal idiot.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I take back the good thing I said about Lyndon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
By far the best ending was The Accidental Space Spy where they just dropped him off back on Earth and were like "welp bye" and then the comic was over.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Literally everyone in the country runs for president and then Lyndon's big character-defining moment is when he chooses whether to give his vote to Audrey or Trixie, because he knows whichever one he votes for will win with 2 votes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
God Lyndon is the wooorst

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Okay, new theory:

The Skyggemyrians have been somehow modifying the scepter so that instead of showing the few seconds before your death, it shows you how time elapses from the moment you touch the scepter all the way until you die. So as soon as Lyndon touched the scepter, he became a sort of prophet who can see into the future for years and years until the moment he dies. Inside this scepter-world, the Skyggemyrians know that and so are keeping Lyndon alive because if he dies their entire world collapses. But also because the Skyggemyrians in the real world want to see into the future, and so the longer they keep Lyndon alive, the more future knowledge he'll have when he finally dies and snaps back to the present, and they want to exploit that somehow.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Apocron posted:

So when Lyndon touched the scepter and didn't see his own death that signalled that they are currently in the timeline that when he dies will cease to exist and we will go back to the moment he touched the scepter to the true timeline where he touches it and experiences the timeline we're currently watching?

Yes, exactly. That's also why the focus of the story shifted so suddenly and dramatically. Thorsby can do year-long time jumps and have people meet and get married or get sick and die all in one strip because it's not really happening and those characters will get different arcs when we snap back to reality.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you think about it this also makes a lot of sense as to why the octopus guy, Torgeir Lykke, freaked out when Lyndon first touched the scepter and said it was broken. Maybe they didn't know exactly how the scepter worked but they had theories, and this was one of the theories. So when Lyndon touched the jewel and nothing happened, the theory was confirmed and he freaked out because he realized that means he's the one in the alternate universe that will cease to exist when Lyndon dies. That's also why the Skyggemyrians who know how the scepter works are so dedicated to keeping Lyndon alive and out of harm's way.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

uvar posted:

Predicting a Thorsby comic is futile, but I'm guessing Lyndon has finally died? Ed: not sure if that needs to be spoiled since it's a guess but better safe than sorry

If anyone else is curious we're about five years 10 months 'forward'.

If that's the case, then I think that means something really has changed with the way the scepter works. Something like instead of the person who touched the scepter getting the vision, the person closest to them gets it instead or in addition to them. Because I don't think Thorsby would do something like have this whole thing be a diversion where no one remembers it afterwards, that would be so pointless and wouldn't match his storytelling in the other comics. But if we're about to get a few pages of the world ending, and then Audrey wakes up back when Lyndon touches it, and she remembers everything but he only remembers the moment of his death, that would be a huge breakthrough.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao that rules

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lyndon has clearly decided to make the best of his situation lol

I don't think he has much of a choice tbf

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
He's also wearing some kind of collar, I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be some kind of device designed to prevent him from killing himself or otherwise misbehaving in a way that might get him killed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Or even simpler, the simulation stretches out in a ball with a radius of a few light years from earth.
Past that there's nothing, so there's no further light travelling towards earth.

Basically, the incoming starlight was a finite resource which was used up.
That would explain why all stars went out at the same time, even though some are millions of light years away.

And I mean, it kinda makes sense to build it that way. Unless you expect an all-consumingly massive supernova from a distant sun, the rest of the universe probably doesn't affect your death simulation, that much. And in that case everyone is instantly hosed anyway.

I guess there could be glitches, like the sudden lack of astral navigation, which could lead to or recontexualize a death, but maybe that thing simply isn't built for long time predictions. Let's be honest. Lyndon would have offed himself years ago.

Then Alpha Centauri should still be visible! Over five years have passed which means it simulated starlight coming in from at least five light years away, and Alpha Centauri is within five light years so it should be contained within the simulation and generating its own light.

That's, of course, assuming that our heroes are on actual Earth.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah that's fair. I considered that, but I didn't want to calculate the number of passed years, to compare distances. Also it contradicts my theory so I dropped the idea.

But we don't really know a lot about that universe. Maybe they have a few nearby stars, which are either really dim, or only visible on the other side of the globe. Assuming it is a globe, I guess.

Presumably other planets should still appear in the night sky too, which makes me wonder what's going on. Even if all the stars disappeared, you would still be able to see Mars and Jupiter and so on, because they're visible at night thanks to our own star's light.

The easiest answer, of course, would be that they aren't on Earth and so we shouldn't base predictions on Earth's stellar geography. I do like the theory that all the simulation's starlight has been used up because it's gone on so long! But that does make me wonder just how accurate the simulation could be for someone who's going to die of old age, for example.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well the two things he mentions in his diary are the stars going out and tsar being assassinated. Audrey says the tsar wasn't assassinated and the stars went out on a different day. So that implies that the diary guy has been working to try and prevent both of those events, and succeeded with the tsar at least. Maybe his efforts to prevent the stars going out delayed them.

I'm hesitant about the stars dying just being part of the simulation for two reasons: one, Thorsby is usually good at thinking of exceptions, and it would be weird for all the stars to go out in a simulation when nearby ones, planets, and so on, would still be part of the simulation; and two, stopping a universe-ending plot is the kind of climax that would make a good end to a comic.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sam Hall posted:

The stars probably disappear the same number of days after the simulation starts as incoming starlight runs out. in Ivar's diary he's describing the results of all the tests he ran on day 197, so of course the starlight runs out on the same day in each sim. The diary hasn't got yet to the tests he ran the next day, which has the stars going out on day 151 of year 784. The simulation Lyndon is currently inhabiting started several months after day 197.

It's possible, but we discussed this earlier in the thread and since it was like five years before the stars went out there should have still been some stars in the sky, because some stars are closer than 5 light years, and other planets in the solar system reflect our own star's light and look like stars in the sky to someone on Earth. Thorsby is usually good at remembering exceptions like that, which is why I'm not 100% sold on the finite starlight as an explanation.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Man, Audrey should be glad she won't remember any of this because she's absolutely right that she was a terrible person for the last five years.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Paladin posted:

So the entire "kidnap and isolate" strategy is just to make sure that anyone else touching the scepter can't learn anything useful and stop the war/plague?

I think what happened is this:

1) the Ambassador gets the scepter and does all his experiments without telling anyone else. No one else knows how the scepter works so everything continues as normal, and the Ambassador is willing to kill himself repeatedly to return to the real world so it makes no difference.
2) once the Ambassador is finished, he has to tell some people about how the scepter works and therefore how he knows so much about the future, so that they can do something about it. This includes the little green dude. Now no one is using the scepter, but they know how it works.
3) when Lyndon touches the scepter, the Skyggemyrians realize that means they're living in a simulation of Lyndon's future. They try to keep him alive out of self-preservation because they suddenly realize that even in a simulation, they're still conscious, living, breathing representations of themselves, and they don't want to die.

Clearly the point isn't to stop anyone from learning anything to the point of self-sacrifice, otherwise they would have just killed Lyndon to stop him from learning anything. I think the isolation is mostly to keep Lyndon alive so they themselves stay alive. Hence not just isolating him away from the world and telling him non-stressful lies about it, but also the exercise and healthy eating and everything.

What's really funny to me is that the knowledge that they're in a simulation is affecting the results of the simulation. If the Skyggemyrians didn't know they were in a simulation they wouldn't be keeping Lyndon alive like this, and so his eventual death would be completely different. The scepter only works if no one knows how it works.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eeevil posted:

But the ambassador was the first person to protect him.

Exactly. The ambassador has only ever been the protagonist in a scepter vision, and therefore had no reason to think that the other people in the simulation were conscious. When Lyndon touches the scepter, the ambassador suddenly realizes that to be the case, and realizes that if Lyndon dies he will cease to exist--but without the consciousness of waking up as the one who touched the scepter. He will just poof out of existence. So, as someone who knows exactly how the scepter works, he tries to protect Lyndon so that his own simulated life continues. If the point was just to prevent Lyndon from learning anything about their plans, he would just kill him right there after he touched the scepter in the embassy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Oh poo poo, I just realized--if Audrey stabs Lyndon right after they finish reading this journal, then the real Lyndon gets a vision of himself reading all the information they need to save the world.

(It means she'll die too, but she looks so guilty that she just might sacrifice herself to fix everything. Plus, she loves solving problems with murder, and this would both solve all the problems and murder everyone in her world.)

I think she still doesn't realize that they're in a simulation yet though, so she has no reason to stab Lyndon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

She will after they finish reading the journal, since presumably the ambassador wrote down "some other jerk touched the crystal" in his diary of exposition.

Yeah but by that point they might have been reading long enough for Lyndon's death moment to not include the most important information.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Android Blues posted:

Once the Sceptre's secret is out, it becomes totally unreliable in general. If it's widely known that someone who touches it and doesn't experience a vision has plunged the world into a simulation, it changes the decision-making process not just for that person, but for all the people who know that they're in a simulation contingent on the life of the sceptre-toucher.

I really like it. The magic has limits, it's not infallible, and its limits are things that wouldn't ever arise if you used the Sceptre without doing vigorous testing on just how it's delivering your death predictions to you.

It's really classic Thorsby in that it's taking a magic item that another storyteller would just have be magic, and then really thinking hard about how it would work and how the mechanics needed to make it function would also be exploitable.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

page 4 is weird because he dismisses gay male femininity being a cultural thing, then explains how it might come about culturally

This part I found particularly strange because basically all features of "masculinity" and "femininity" are culturally-constructed and different cultures and different times in history have radically different conceptions of what's masculine and what's feminine, yet they pretty much all claim it's biologically-determined even though it clearly can't be. But I feel like Thorsby would never accept something as a cultural construct because his whole deal is that literally 100% of all activity is determined by evolution.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/385

lmao

Lyndon has a spell that locks and unlocks things and yet he never once thought to lock the door behind them while they were standing around reading a dude's diary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Why did they let Lyndon learn all this magic?