Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I half expected this to wrap up with everyone (except Audrey) being kind of miserable like TASS, so I'm glad it's going for at least a little longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Predicting a Thorsby comic is futile, but I'm guessing Lyndon has finally died? Ed: not sure if that needs to be spoiled since it's a guess but better safe than sorry

If anyone else is curious we're about five years 10 months 'forward'.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/373 More Lyndon

Not really related to the strip: for a few moments I thought that his girlfriend was wearing Annette's outfit from HfD, but it's just Thorsby reusing bright colours - it's not even the same type of top, and someone else is wearing the same colour a strip or two earlier.

And the simulation could be getting smaller/shutting down, but surely people would have noticed if the sceptre only works for a decade or so. It's not "shows if you die soon", it's "shows how you die" with no limits mentioned (IIRC).

Maybe it's not a simulation :ohdear:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/378

Seven minutes in heaven :pervert:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I wonder why the Ambassador didn't destroy his old diaries once he realised he was in someone else's death, just to be safe - it's not like they're the originals.

Still, I'm liking the Thorsby twist on Groundhog Day. That first suicide before he was certain it worked would have been a doozy.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Great job Lyndon, you've ensured a witness will survive because if Trixie right, Audrey kills them now you lose your powers. I think? Thorsby magic is so complicated.

uvar fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 31, 2019

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It's going to be very weird if we get back to the real world in the next strip or two and all they get from it is Audrey gleefully murdering a buff older Lyndon while he shouts 'I haven't finished the diary!!'

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Comic Four Hundred

Personally, I'm stumped.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
edit: ^^ drat it :wave:

Wait... are we the bad guys? You hosed up again, Lyndon!

spoiler in case anybody scrolls down too fast if the "simulation" is indistinguishable, maybe he should do whatever he can to prolong it, and the lives of the people within... but I'm easily swayed by people who sound like they know what they're talking about.

uvar fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 26, 2019

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I went back and checked and Lyndon does call it a simulation, but still - I feel like focusing on that term is missing the point because it implies it's inferior. As far as we can tell it's a perfect copy of a sphere around the local solar system, and it's not the original but it's basically just as valid, and the Ambassador reasonably wants it to continue in the same way that I would want to prevent somebody ending the existence of me and everything else if I knew they could and might actually do it.

It is effectively a doomed world regardless. But it's like in all kinds of media (well, mostly SF & fantasy) where somebody gets duplicated; you shouldn't just murder one of them and call it a day.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Apocron posted:

I guess this is the crux of the problem.

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/424

Anyone want to figure out how they solve it?

That's an amazing assortment of items to construct plans with, it feels like the beginning of a lateral thinking puzzle.

Still... unless Lyndon has some secret spell, about the only idea I can think of is to roll a dice and pick a plan randomly so the Ambassador can't reliably predict it. Or somehow trick him into thinking he's still in a simulation?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
What if you were killed with the sceptre?? :350:

Oh right, it doesn't do anything within the scepterverse. It might give the wrong prediction if it took several hits to be fatal, but I can't imagine that corner case will get explored.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Mr. Steak posted:

unless theres some conceivable way for you to take a meaningful action between swings of the scepter, there wont be any false prophecies.

Now that I'm properly awake I can remember the specific scenario I was thinking of and yeah, it's not a loophole, it's just the victim getting killed in a slightly ironic way. But knowing Thorsby he thought about it more than I have, just in case, and dismissed it as both a problem and an interesting subplot.

It was something like this: let's say you get hit with the sceptre by a vicious mugger. In the sceptre universe, you are hurt but manage to run away, dying of some illness years later. In the real world, you get the pain and a vision of your future illness death, which disorients you and gives the mugger time to hit you again, killing you. But it's not breaking any rules, it's just a silly edge case.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
New page is up, which has nothing to do with the sceptre

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/437

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I feel like we spoiled this one a little by putting all our intellects together and noticing the scepter's deal too early. Not that it was that subtle, but it would have been a pretty neat twist.