Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

I take back the good thing I said about Lyndon.

Saying a good thing about Lyndon should have been when you noticed something was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It took 21 days between the discovery of the moose hive and the discovery that moose honey tastes awful.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
oh yes

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lostclock and Rolf Rust dead. A mountain of other corpses (an uncomfortable number needlessly killed by Anette under the influence of the sword). Anette and Bianca's friendship destroyed. The 2 hitmen unleashed on a fresh world to cause havoc and murder. Maythorn and Anette have a tentative future together but that's really the only thing salvaged from the wreckage. I guess that's technically 'happy-ish"!

Jymre probably got the happiest ending, having grown out of his "get rich quick" schemes and reconciled with his family, his fiancée, and even his boss.

Also don't forget that Destiny getting pretty much killed off also meant that a prophesied disaster was averted in Annette's world.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
While it's not accurate as a necessary and sufficient reason for war, you can easily find in human history cultures that practiced polygyny and had a strong tradition of war and raids. And wars have been fought over a tribe's women often enough, e.g. rapt of the Sabines. So the idea isn't absurd, even if it doesn't resist scrutiny.

We had a recent enough example with Daesh where a lot of Islamic State recruits were incels who joined the fight to kidnap women from "infidel" tribes.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 22, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Nah, Thorsby usually makes such things clear, with a "The End." box on the last page and then a "This story is finished, click here to read from the start or here to see my other stories" page.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It really shows that they're amateurs; a real politician would send the Vice-President instead.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
RIP Spider-Prez, you were too good for Diabolica.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Okay so I think that the scepter of death and the malachite fever are tied somehow.

Skyggemyrians hired our heroes to recover it. When it stopped working, Torgeir (the yellow tentacle guy) freaked out. The Skyggemyrian ambassador then killed the jouster to prevent it from killing Lyndon.

I'm going to guess that once the scepter of death's charges are exhausted, it gives malachite fever to those who touch it. It's contagious so Torgeir is freaking out, but Skyggemyrians are immune to it. They capture Lyndon to use him as patient zero and spread the disease everywhere. With Diabolica weakened by this plague, they attack.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
She married that FYGM rear end in a top hat and stayed with him for years, but she's still possessive towards Lyndon.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I like the idea that the simulation copies everything in a 5 LY radius, including any traveling photon, but not the more distant stars that emitted them. This way, all starlight gets turned off at the exact same time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Relevant Tangent posted:

How far away do you think the sun is?

Approximately 140 millions times less far away than 2157 light-days.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

maltesh posted:

Also, they'll probably result in the worst possible outcome in a Thorsby comic: They'll attract wild animals.

Such a beautiful bunch of ripe banana can only come with a hidden deadly black tarantula.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Calaveron posted:

I have not understood a single thing that's happened in this strip except that they're in a simulated world within another unrelated character's death simulation after having touched the stick

They're in Lyndon's death simulation.

Libluini posted:

So that's why they have to keep our dumb mage guy alive! Some of those fake beings have learned that they're inside a fake universe and try to keep him alive as long as possible, to extend their existence since they all blink out as soon as he keels over!

They were also trying to prevent him from learning anything useful to the situation he'd really be. Hence all the lies, and treating him well instead of killing him.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elfface posted:

Aubrey yells "Tell me not to betray Trixie or Klara will die!" Then stabs Lyndon.

Too late for that.

It's more like "medicare for all or Klara dies and the entire country is ravaged by war and pestilence, also steal the ambassador's diary as proof"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

maltesh posted:

And trees don't think, or feel pain

Plants actually react to aggression, stress, and other stimuli, despite not having a central nervous system like animals do. They think and feel, just in a very different way from how animals do, which makes quantifying their capabilities kind of hard.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Audrey's still got two swords in her bundle.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/407

It's been a while since the last page was posted.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's a fake world entirely contingent on Lyndon's existence, and when Lyndon dies everyone will just disappear, instantaneously and painlessly. It's already lasted longer than it should, as evidenced by the stars disappearing.

The ambassador also had no scruples destroying countless worlds just like this before, so...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
He wants so much to preserve the suffering of people who have to endure a plague and a war that he doesn't want to help create a world where these disasters are averted.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

super sweet best pal posted:

Not very fair to the survivors.

It is important to preserve your life as a grieving amputee who has lost all their friends and family, so that the same thing will happen to the real you. We could end it all, immediately and painlessly, to give a chance to your non-simulated self to never go through what you have had to go through, but it wouldn't be moral, now, would it?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/413

Bristlecone arc over, now it's Showdown time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Rubberband Man posted:

Lyndon wouldn't know how his hair looked, but he might have noticed that his head was lighter and colder than usual.

No, because you only feel that way after a fresh cut. After a couple days, it's your new usual.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/415

I like how the snout elf must tilt his head down to get close to the locker because of his ridiculous nose.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Perhaps not for long...
http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/418

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lyndon stopping the snout elves with (barely believable) facts and (really tenuous) logic.

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/421

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Find out if you live in the simulated universe. If so, escape, and focus on learning hypnosis/charm magic/mind control. Then hypnotize/charm/mind control the ambassador in telling himself something completely wrong that will give you an edge and kill himself immediately after.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Of course the Thorsby version of a Chekov's gun would be a weird bug.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The solution is to shoot slime at the "rider" head to blind the smart part of the jooster (it doesn't have the capacity to hear or smell) and just leave the easily scared stupid animal part in charge.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That works too I guess.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm sure Klara knows how to become a healthy carrier for a very contagious disease that's harmless to humans but lethal to snout elves.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
:laffo:

finally, Justice has caught up with the vandal of the purring kitty statuette

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I like the slime on the knife, and Lilith running around in her socks. Thorsby cares about the little details.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Terror Sweat posted:

This is a rare miss from thorsby's thought experiments I think, why is overpopulation a problem when humanity is already going to other planets and easily terraforming them

Sending one billion people from a planet to another is actually more complicated than it seems!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
At some point you reach P-zombie territory of "if it behaves exactly like a person but isn't a person, why isn't it a person?"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Peanut Butler posted:

also how do you say Øyvind? It is 'Owen'?

More like Eivin.

https://forvo.com/word/%C3%B8yvind/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What if you get killed with the sceptre by a blow so violent it also destroys it?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
He still needs to pass universal healthcare to prevent pestilence and war.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This is still the "Showdown" chapter, so the showdown is not over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Put the brainchip in Lyndon, he learns all the spells the connected Lyndons know, but loses all spells every time any connected Lyndon causes harm to people with his magic.