Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I was 99% sure that the statue holding the spare parts turtle was Tails, until I realized it...only has one tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

sick trigger posted:

that klara's got some pretty serious upper body strength

Maybe Trixie is really light?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"Spider cheetah" is unusually straightforward for a Thorsby critter.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"Only two princesses have died! That is one of the smallest amounts of dead princesses you can have!"

Trixie's gonna be amazing in the presidential debates.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Should've beaten the local gym first.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

There was really only one patented Thorsby action sequence, which is unfortunate because it clearly had a lot of potential in that vein.

It's pretty short though, so I'd say it's worth a read.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

There are so many reasons that shouldn't have worked, and it was still great.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The "Not that it'll do you any good" part probably just means she has low opinions of Trixie's chances.

"I'll show you, I'll show everyone" does sounds rather supervillainous though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This does raise the question, if it wasn't anything special, what was it doing in that fancy box?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"Drunk witch animates windmill"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

When will someone campaign on the legality of pants?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"Get drunk if you like!"

Everything about this seems legit.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm a big fan of their flag being four hands backstabbing each other.

I assumed "Skyggemyrian" was the name of the tentacle piranha guy's species until I realized he doesn't have hands and the flag does.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Yeah, that's all the worst parts of a giraffe, a t-rex and a clown right there.

On the other hand, good negotiating by our heroes.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Similarly, I enjoy how the designated exposition character is actually super laconic, it's an interesting choice. Especially compared to Lostclock.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Laputanmachine posted:

Do we know Klara's sexual orientation? Maybe she's attracted to Trixie and wants to be near her and is ready to pull this kind of poo poo because of it. Seems like a Thorsbyian development.

This has been looking more and more likely since she asked if Trixie had a girlfriend.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This is such a Thorsbyian idea I wouldn't be surprised if the entire treasure hunt thing takes a backseat to conlangs for a bit.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

Audrey's comments at the end are actually pretty drat clever when you think about why she dropped the sarcasm. If everyone speaks a language with no negative words, nobody can criticize you.

Ooh, good point.

Also, Trixie's example sentence makes me wish I could vote for her.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

A jacket is a good friend.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Audrey looks pleased with this turn of events.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

They don't call it a "dungeon walk", Lyndon.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"Is my hair presentable?"

Also, hope Lyndon told Audrey exactly how this spell works at some point offscreen because if not she has a huge incentive to get Lyndon to kill someone/something so it turns back. Or maybe just beat one of those linguists to death with the box.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Huh. I wonder if this is just him having a vision, or if the staff only grants "visions" in the sense that it immediately gets you killed for touching it. (Either way, we're probably not being shown him having the vision and then dying, because then he probably would've reacted some other way than "Guess we should go home".)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Oh, good, he's still alive. I was a little worried he'd be killed off after the first arc when he lost his spells, but if he can just keep memorizing a new one every time he kills something that's all right then.

BiggerJ posted:

* Determination.

Oh dear.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Nah, showing the baboon its death over and over again traumatized it enough to get it to leave them alone is funnier if it's something that we never see actually happen.

And that this was accomplished by relentless bludgeoning.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

team overhead smash posted:

I think she's just Seen herself live a good long while, live a fairly substantial amount of that time in a relationship with Trixie and then at some point die and suddenly be reverted back to the present and have that entire history she lived through suddenly cease to exist.

That would be really bittersweet, but as a professional adventurer and studier of extremely deadly monsters I somehow doubt that her life expectancy is that high.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Oh, now it makes sense.

There's a shapeshifter lurking around. First Klara saw 'Trixie' kill her, so she's trying to get away from Trixie. Then, Trixie saw herself get killed when she was confused with the shapeshifter.

So it's really convenient that Audrey and Trixie just learned at least a few words in a language literally no one else knows, then.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

And it's all completely circular and there are no traitors/shapeshifters at all.

This would be the most Thorsbyesque explanation, but it doesn't really explain what Audrey meant by "Thought you could trick me?"

Plus then the resolution isn't "if you were a jacket, would you be lenkledaur or lenkledilk?"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Also, I have to wonder if the flag of the people who hired them has anything to do with this. If they knew about the Scepter's powers, maybe they used to own it and an incident like this was part of the founding of their country somehow.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

In a D&D-style world that also has a bunch of trappings of modern society, "deranged sociopath" seems like it would be less of a psychological diagnosis and more of a career day evaluation.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Whybird posted:

But the message suggests that just making it move is enough. The first we see of it is here: http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/81/ and it looks like Klara was the one to move it.

So Klara runs off because she's the demon. Audrey sees herself being killed by Trixie because she and Lyndon think Audrey's the demon. Trixie sees herself being killed by Audrey because Audrey, having seen her vision, thinks Trixie and Lyndon are going to kill her.

The first we see of it is the page before, and Klara does indeed mention moving it--using a lever mechanism, so I'm not sure if that counts. She was the one to suggest they touch the scepter, which seems to be an effective way of getting them all to kill each other.

But I feel like "no one's actually the demon yet" is the twist here, if only because the sisters are so confident they don't have to worry about anyone else getting possessed. (And then deciding to split up based on that information, the #1 way to get killed in basically any fictional situation.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

She's like the protagonist from Hitmen for Destiny, except she starts off bloodthirsty and murderous and just happened to be born in a world where you can make a living that way.

e: Also the fact that there's a crowbar next to a rune-covered axe on the wall there is another one of those "high fantasy with t-shirts" things that I can't wait to see the explanation for.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 24, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Sit your candy axe down!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Y'know, considering how easily breakable it is, he probably should've just turned the ropes into candy by now.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Oh yeah, I forgot the caveat was "can't transform living things, or things made from living things, like wood".

I guess they could smother him with a leather jacket too. Which would make it an evil jacket.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It's like a trust fall, but involuntary and with a knife

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

They're so close to figuring that out that "demon" story is bullshit...

Nah, that Demon story is mostly human semen.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

There's no demon is there? :v:

Well, the person who said there was is now raising a cleaver behind Audrey's back...

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

A non-human member of the convent, presumably.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So to recap, there's this sisterhood of conlang enthusiasts, and they moved into a tower above a Scepter of Death, and then thought "hmm, just to be safe, better add a demon and a giant worm spewing abyss".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Next strip: "YOU KNOW, ANHEDONISM IS A SIGN OF DEPRESSION! ARE YOU OK? DO YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT IT?"