Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Hempuli posted:

Did we previously see someone operating the catapult? As far as I know "snicker-snack yoink" returns the closest weapon someone is holding, so I assume for the purposes of the spell there must've been someone from whom the catapult was taken?

EDIT: And yeah, that was a good surprise and a good chuckle

The definition of the spell was just "summons the nearest weapon to your hand", it doesn't have to be one that someone else was already holding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

RandomFerret posted:

Not only has she just come off a multi-year dry spell, this is absolutely the most deserving person she's ever gotten to kill.

And look at how much throat he has to slit! It's like getting out of a vegan commune and digging right into a perfectly-cooked AAA strip loin cut from a cow that killed your sister

Flipping back quickly, from Audrey's point of view it's been about three months since the cupcake mission.

I really can't argue with that analogy, though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The dialogue in those last two panels is word-for-word a conversation from the White House, but there's one big difference: the president actually pulled something useful out of his rear end.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Trixie being hella diplomatic here. Also looks like Klara didn't kill piranha slime guy after all.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Lyndon really doesn't know his fiancee if he thought she was gonna have any other reaction to hearing "you kill a billion people every time you touch that".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Mr. Steak posted:

since the "you" in the simulation never experienced a scepter vision (as we know they dont), and the real you did, thats a gigantic discrepancy from reality in the very first moment of the simulation. therefore, the scepter was never useful as an individual prediction device. assuming the scepter is working as intended, its purpose must have been the holistic, planet-wide predictions that it ended up being used for. and was never intended to accurately predict an individual's death.

Not necessarily. Think of it like this:

Once upon a time, a mighty king became obsessed with his own impending mortality. He approached his court wizard, most powerful in all the land, and said "use your magicks to fashion me a device that will let me see the moment of my death, that I might evade the reaper's chill touch!" And the loyal wizard said "aye, my sire!"

And then he spent the next year yelling at his scrolls, saying "gently caress's sake, does he have any idea what he asked me to do? you can't just 'see the future', you have to simulate a whole universe, and he's not giving me nearly enough magic crystals or Potions of the Scarlet Steer for that."

At long last, his work came to an end, for on that day he made a most mystical proclamation to himself: "Ahh screw it, there's still some edge cases but whatever, I'll ship it like this. If he sees himself dying at night because there wasn't any starlight to see by, I'll just mumble something about a grand cataclysm only his grace can avert."

And so it was.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Yeah, but he did also lie to everyone about Samantha being crazy that one time, because he wanted to sleep with Audrey. Which led to the whole group being kidnapped, drugged, almost made permanently insane, and having to murder a whole civilization* in order to avoid being butchered. Really is kind of a pattern with the dude!

Maybe there's a really popular celebrity, Jenny Betrayal or something, so every time someone says "but he betrayed me!" they instantly think of a catchy pop tune and have a hard time staying mad.

(*"We went to an asylum and Lyndon made us commit genocide!"
"Really? Well, I'm sure it's for the best. Hopefully Hank makes a full recovery.")

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Those last three panels = :3: x10

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The only Diabolican VP in history to survive four years.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The hat is a mind mugger. :tinfoil:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Shouldn't have let one of Putin's goons get the Scepter of Death.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The master discusses his technique:

thorsby explaining how they writes their farces posted:

The protagonist tells a lie. This leads to more lies and misunderstandings. This leads to more lies and misunderstandings.

This leads to more lies and misunderstandings.

One thing you can do is to have the protagonist tell different, contradictory lies to different people. Then those people end up in the same room, and the protagonist has to struggle to say stuff that makes sense to all the people.

Having the farce take place within a short period of time, makes it funnier. The protagonist can’t catch a break.

Not sure, but I think having the farce take place in one location, like one room, makes it funnier. It emphasizes that it takes place in a short period of time.

A farce should get funnier and funnier as it goes along. The problems should get worse, the situation more hopeless. This makes writing an ending difficult. If the protagonist have lots of problems and then solves all of them, one by one, then the farce looses momentum, and gets less funny. You can have an unhappy ending, where all the secrets gets exposed, but unhappy endings aren’t always that funny. You can try to come up with one solution that fixes all the problems at once. Blackmail is common. Lots of P. G. Wodehouse books are resolved by some sort of blackmail or extortion. Or you can have the secret gets exposed, but then the protagonist gets a happy ending for some other reason.

In a comedy it’s okay to have the protagonist win by luck, if it’s funny. But the protagonist shouldn’t just do nothing and get lucky. If you’re doing it the protagonist should struggle, then fail, maybe because of bad luck, then win by good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Losing my mind at how the mechanics are divided into:

-lying, which has an 80% chance that they believe you, and also something happens that makes the lie difficult to maintain
-literally any other action...which automatically fails if you could be lying to someone instead