Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Synthbuttrange posted:

What're they going to do, kill him?

Hurt him a lot, heal him, hurt him a lot, heal him, repeat until he decides being buff and living as long as possible is less painful. Also buff Lyndon lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dr Christmas posted:

If they're simulating an entire universe, wouldn't there still be billions of years worth of starlight still heading to Earth? Pretty shoddy worksmanship IMO.

The probability sphere contracts around Lynton. If he dies here it's possible the rest of the world has already ceased to exist.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Every page Lyndon is on contains a reason to dunk on him.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah I think we're in reality, not a simulation - what the thread got right was that people do use the sceptre to try to tell the future, but I think there's something else that we're not guessing that explains the vanishing stars that just happens to be an event that is going to happen no matter what the sceptre says.

This is absolutely a simulation. It's the most parsimonious explanation for the timeskip, the stars vanishing being a thing, Lyndon being the most important guy in the Universe etc. etc.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bobulus posted:

I think we're all on the same page. The only remaining question is: Did they have a plan based around keeping Lindon alive (as in: using him to pass back info), or were they keeping him alive (and as healthy as possible) only to prolong their own simulated lives?

Feels like the latter, to me.

Also the star thing could easily be the lightcone for the universe contracting towards whoever touched the scepter as they approach the moment of death. The little dude didn't know when the stars would go out, just that they would. As for that changing the outcome, that's the entire point of the scepter.
I feel like the stars vanishing combined with the year long time skips should prove that the stars are connected to the scepter rather than some outside event.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 24, 2019

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sure, but right now Lyndon is the person who will get the data, throwing him off as much as possible is extremely useful.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dragonatrix posted:

They have a sun that is still working after all the other stars had vanished.

How far away do you think the sun is?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cat Mattress posted:

Approximately 140 millions times less far away than 2157 light-days.

That was my point. The sun being simulated tells you basically nothing because it's ~8 minutes away in terms of the light from it. I was just trying to make them do a search because I'm a monster.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Lone Badger posted:

To be fair, it's also Lyndon's fault.

re-title the comic Lyndon's Fault imo

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Terror Sweat posted:

So does the simulation start for everyone with them thinking "the sceptre must be broken, nothing happened"?

That or "Oh, guess I'm the doomed one."

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yeah, he's beefy af. "You killed me because I was super beefy, I must never lift a weight."

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

rear end in a top hat uncle who immediately died as well.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

He never learned the spell to make his hand stop glowing and it's Lyndon as hell.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Also making him super buff will confuse the hell out of real Lyndon.

Can't get buff or I'll die
:goonsay:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The thing that I love about the scepter is how inaccurate it is. It can really only help you avoid an immediate death. There's no indication of time, so you don't know you've flashed years into the future unless you look extremely different.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Betrayed by my phone. Anyway the scepter is a very cool conceit and I'm interested to see how Lyndon relays all the information back to himself/if gets to.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 23, 2019

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Simulated people are as real as non-simulated people and anyone who suggests otherwise is just itching for an excuse to commit atrocities.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I love the ambassador's efforts so much.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Making sure things are as weird as possible around Lyndon when/if he dies, and the one spouting nonsense will help with that, seems to be the plan.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The snakes might all be sedated. That way they'd screw with pacifism magic but wouldn't try to bite people/escape.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

uvar posted:

I went back and checked and Lyndon does call it a simulation, but still - I feel like focusing on that term is missing the point because it implies it's inferior. As far as we can tell it's a perfect copy of a sphere around the local solar system, and it's not the original but it's basically just as valid, and the Ambassador reasonably wants it to continue in the same way that I would want to prevent somebody ending the existence of me and everything else if I knew they could and might actually do it.

It is effectively a doomed world regardless. But it's like in all kinds of media (well, mostly SF & fantasy) where somebody gets duplicated; you shouldn't just murder one of them and call it a day.

Turns out murder is an effective way to solve the problem and if the entities who make the simulations keep getting useless results maybe they'll stop being assholes and making doomed simulations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If you're not already going to try to murder the Demiurge just smh

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Audrey continues to be the best. A concise summation of the situation followed by murder. 8 months real-time spent on this nonsense, it's incredibly Thorsby.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Thorsby logic is twisted but consistent. Occam's Razor is still a thing, etc.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Lotta people arguing for me to flip this switch that says universal shutoff itt.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Wild how many people itt want to destroy entire universes of people who are as real as they are for no reason.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

All the goons who don't want a happy ending and are hoping for a fakeout, shame, shame. Let the characters be happy, deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It says epilogue. Unless he decides to be a jerk this is 100% a well-earned happy ending.