Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Shouldn't the purple thing have eaten Klara when it "upgraded?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Ah yeah I went back and reread when the mind muggers were introduced. I'd thought there was a line about them always eating their old host when the found a new one.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Hope he ends up being some low-level guard that can't offer any political access and is just met with a "we wondered what happened to you."

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Well I guess I was half right about the guy not getting a hero's welcome.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I think the Skyggemyrians know about some crazy event and decided to keep Lyndon around to witness it and become an advocate for whatever they’re doing in the real timeline. I’m not convinced we’re seeing how the scepter’s death vision sausage is simulated, though. But I guess that’d require a very Thorsby explanation to get out of the scepter timeline, since Lyndon ultimately getting killed would have just given him that vision initially.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

:aaaaa: Ok good point, but no one who’s touched the scepter had any context for their death. If people witnessed the lead up then the crew wouldn’t have been confused about their visions of being killed by each other. I figured Lyndon was on to it with his immortal comment, but maybe the scepter really is broken.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Rumda posted:

why do you think were not getting any scenes from Lyndon's perspective as far as he knows this isn't happening

I guess plot pacing? Lyndon was an active participant at the start of the timeline. I’m not trying to say he’s been an omniscient observer to everything going on with Audrey, but he’s been doing something (unless he’s frozen) while in captivity for however many years.

Maybe the scepter sims the whole thing and whoever touched it only retains the memory of the final moment? Could the scepter be “broken” because everyone’s in a simulation from someone who touched it earlier and you can’t scepter-ception?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Whatever just started happening is probably the event that little yellow Skyggemyrian said Audrey wouldn’t believe until she saw it. Seems like she’ll be the one with the vision when we snap back to the original timeline. I’m so curious how the scepter’s power transferred to her and how much she’ll remember.

This has been interesting, but I hope Thorsby’s explanation isn’t too contrived.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I don’t think whatever happened to the night sky is related to the scepter. Running out of memory after five-odd years is way too short considering how many people would be given an old age-related vision of their death.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’m starting to think this isn’t a simulation and Klara is dead dead.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

If person B sees person A touch the scepter and claim that they have no vision, then they touch the scepter at time 2 and have no vision, it could mean that they’re in person A’s vision... or it could mean that person C touched the scepter at time 0, unknown to both A and B, and they’re both in that vision.

Person B starting their own simulation is still a possibility here. There’s no rule that you have to blurt out your vision to everyone in the room and signal a completed simulation.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Nice to see Thorsby’s ensnared another one. Of the unfortunately few people I’ve convinced to check out his comics, I’ve actually recommended against Liars, Sisters and Wives first since I think he absolutely killed it in Hitmen (granted you have to read hundreds of pages to get there).

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Er, don’t get me wrong. Lies is fine, and definitely a good intro to Thorsby because of its length. I was meaning I think he does the bit so much better in Hitmen and if you’ve already read Lies you kind of know what to expect.

And seriously Thorsby has been at this so long and I’ve always just taken for granted that the next update will come. He clearly loves it because he appears to be making no money from it. Hopefully he keeps at it forever. Does anyone have an idea of his popularity around the web? I found him through here and have no idea if he’s just an obscure comic-drawing machine (RIP 3x a week updates :norway:) or some kind of underground celebrity.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Couldn’t the scepter just be simulating the behavior of everyone besides the scepter-toucher the same way tech companies can make a ghost profile of who I am/what I like based on metadata? They don’t actually exist, but the scepter accurately knows what they’d do. Am I creating and destroying universes of people every time I dream?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah this is going too well. I can’t remember how diligent he’s been with narrative timekeeping outside the simulation (within this simulation), but I’m ready for the stars to go out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That was a really fun video. I hope Thorsby’s been doing ok. Diving into his crazy mind this past year would have been a nice reprieve. Hopefully he starts back up soon.