Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Well, the engagement's probably off, now. Though, to be fair, advocating murder of your fiancee's family members on national TV is often enough to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Just waiting for the protagonists to remember the other three people who live in the house: Julius' niece and his kids.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm pretty sure there's an entire article for each of the two on the left, not just lorem ipsum. Looks like it, at least. My vision's pretty bad, though.

Even when zooming in, the pixelation makes it hard to read. My best guesses:

Zombie apocalypse was scam
The zombie apocalypse that was [supposed?] to have happened last Thursday was a scam. Hundreds of people dressed up as zombies in order to steal the [savory owl gold elf?]

Senator marries cannibal
Senator Jake [Deathfangs?] marries famed cannibal Angela [Flufflight?], [Flufflight?] has eaten at least [4?] people, but the case against [her?] got dismissed due to a technicality. The [case?] [??????] [???] [be?] [very?] [????] [to?] [???]

maltesh
May 20, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Klara thinks Audrey is smarter than her. Interesting.

Klara-Purple Mugger knows Audrey is better with the fighting, and that both Klara and Lyndon are probably more likely to side with Audrey in a dispute than each other.

So if Purple-Mugger wants to be Chief by Right of Assassination, Audrey is probably a better choice for the moment.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I hope it's just a stick with a star on it (but she is also an Impossible Magician despite not having an actual impossible wand)

I imagine it is, and she's a powerless madwoman masquerading as a wizard doctor.

I also am vaguely expecting phrenology to be somehow involved, based on the shape ranting hammer weilder.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

If just one real Carniroo is on the island, they're also screwed, because the plausibility of "However this one that you now know is real got on the island, the others made it the same way" is now an option.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

The holder of the scepter can freely take actions that invalidate its predictions. I'd assume Trixie's party are /probably/ safe to let Audrey loose, but they don't know exactly what death was seen in the scepter at the last check, and keeping the most murderous member of the party secured helps make sure that any potential death prediction occurs in the far future, and didn't reveal the party's near-future location.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

davidspackage posted:

Klara is so cool-headed.

The Elusive Artist, even more so. Klara, at least, knows what the hell is going on.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Oh, /now/ it's frightened.

Okay. There's now a hard limit on how long Lyndon's powers are going to last. He should switch to down now, and try to catch up with Clara. Grab her securely, and try to get as low as safely possible before switching himself to up again.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Probably should have made the Elusive Artist fall parallel to the ground once they were sure it was high enough that there was little to no chance of it hitting anything, and then recovered Klara. It would still die, but the limit could be as long as several days instead of the few minutes they have now. And less logistically difficult than trying to keep it alive on the ceiling of a zombie house.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/333

Well crap. Dammit, Lyndon. No wonder Vice Presidents are considered expendable.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

There is absolutely no reason for the Traditionalists to keep their promise to Audrey, either. Unless Trixie wins, Audrey has no connections to demand they uphold the bargain, and if anyone but the Traditionalists win, there's not even a verbal agreement in place to make Audrey foreign minister.

The Traditionalists probably can prove that Audrey agreed to sell Trixie out, though, and they can use that to continue to blackmail Audrey and possibly Lyndon.

All in all, a terrible deal to make.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

So there are at least nine candidates in the election now, or a significant 'I'm not voting for any of these yahoos' contingent.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

This is all the current Vice President's plan, who appears to be smarter, or at least less-dead than previous vice presidents.

If this plan at any point puts him in the position to assume the presidency perhaps because everyone, including the current President, is in prison, (and especially if the stated plan relies on him to give that position back) I think he's going to keep it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

That said, the law is about being "in prison" not "Under arrest" isn't it? And there are certainly more candidates here than police. Even without a trial, even if the candidates don't run or stall, it's certainly going to take some time to get them processed and imprisoned.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

It is kind of ominous to see Klara angry.

I've had a nagging suspicion since #65 that Klara was lying about gambling the tavern money away,

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/65/

And subsequently volunteered their services to Trixie's campaign (As she was the one appointed to negotiate by Audrey) and paid Audrey with 100 ductats of their own money.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ah, fair enough. I should have remembered that.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

She followed Lyndon's advice and now Klara died with a broken heart. Lyndon continues to be the worst even in death.

Audrey's going to wind up President through succession, isn't she.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

all those bananas are bruised and soft now

just the worst.

Also, they'll probably result in the worst possible outcome in a Thorsby comic: They'll attract wild animals.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

THey're probably thinking, "If Lyndon comes back, he probably doesn't know this is a simulation, and we can continue to keep him alive. If he doesn't come back, he's probably figured everything out, and we'll need to stop his suicide attempts by any means necessary."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

At least til Audrey cuts him down.

And nice backup plan for your sword getting stolen, Audrey.

And trees don't think, or feel pain, so if he is killed despite their best efforts, an axed Dead Tree Lyndon only sends back "I think I died of thirst, maybe?"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

So, assuming Lyndon manages to die in the simulation and make it back to his body with choice bits of foreknowledge, he should convincingly claim that he didn't see a vision of the future.

That way, he still gets captured, but his foes think they're still in the simulation. Armed with the right foreknowledge, Lyndon can subsequently escape.

Edit: Holy poo poo, Lyndon's method of magic is to memorize spells, and nothing he does in the simulation causes actual harm.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 19, 2019

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Congratulations, Lyndon. You now have given your adversaries time to get snake-handling armor on the witch who casts "Snicker-Snack Yoink."

Admittedly, using poisonous snakes for the teleportation trap was a bad idea to begin with. I guess it was all the snakes they could get on short notice?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Last Visible Dog posted:

The first chapter immediately comes to mind, if you count the glass balls: http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/11/

They might stretch the definition of "real live", though.

A moose and an elephant definitely get out during the subsequent hijinks.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Convince the ambassador that he is in a simulated universe. If they can swap out the Scepter of Death with a facsimile, or otherwise stop it from working when he touches it, any minor setback will convince him to kill himself.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

Just wait till nightfall and make him think that all stars suddenly vanish.
That has to come up in some way again. I bet there is a pacifist spell for that. Lyndon immediately loses it because a dung beetle gets misdirected and stubs its toe.

Does Real Lyndon know that the stars go out in a simulated universe?

Hell, does Real Lyndon even know that the Scepter doesn't support recursion?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I wonder how the ambassador is killing himself so quickly in the simulated worlds. Cheap Divorce Snake in the pocket?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Paladin posted:

The real question is how many times she is going to touch the scepter in the next minute just to practice killing everything.

*Scepter Touch*

"Any last words, Prisoner?"
"I was right, I /could/ kill everyone who lives in my apartment building in under an hour!"

*Scepter Touch*
"Actually, I can kill them all in less then thirty-five minutes! I'm awesome!"

*Scepter Touch*
"Twenty-three minutes! A new record!"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

RandomFerret posted:

I should be disappointed in that, but at least it's better than Captain Picard living an entire false lifetime before dying of old age and it not affecting him at all except now he knows how to play a flute

I like to think about how badly that "Our only record of our civilization is a one-time psychic simulated life projected into the mind of the captain of your starship, free flute with purchase" plan would have gone if a Klingon ship would have found it instead of the Enterprise.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

To be fair, we don't know that the simulation universe is destroyed. We know that at least two of the users of the scepter in the prime universe believe it is.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

If the sceptre had the processing power to keep universes running forever then it wouldn't have to stop simulating an area of 5 light years around itself.

It could also be creating material pocket universes that are self-sustaining without any further scepter intervention, bridging one moment of communication, and then disconnecting from the pocket universe forever.

Is it less distasteful to use the scepter if that's what it's actually doing? Probably.

Given the way the comic seems to be winding down, though, Lyndon and the ambassador are probably canonically correct about how it works.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Makes me wonder if has other ways to get information out, but whoever had it before it became lost left the settings on "Show me how I die," and nobody who has acquired it since has figured out the controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

I think you guys might be forgetting that Klara has the same expression on her face no matter what she's doing or how she's feeling (except for the last panel when she's posing for a portrait).

There's at least one other time that Klara broke out in smiles.