Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
They're not supposed to be doing better than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Nuebot posted:

Also for every adoption success story of a kid finding a loving home, there are two more where a kid bounces from home to home of abuse, or just winds up lost in the lovely system for the aformentioned reasons until they get dumped out as legal adults. The whole "Just put your kids up for adoption!" argument is really kind of awful and doesn't solve the unwanted pregnancy thing at all because not only do you have to go through the pregnancy and give birth to the kid, but now that kid has to grow up knowing their parents didn't want them and possibly get hosed over by the lovely foster home system america has. Some kids don't get bothered by it, others have their lives ruined by it.

That applies more to children removed from the birth home, particularly if they're older or disabled. Brand new, healthy babies have a much higher rate of successful placements, and if they're white there's a high demand from adoptive parents. Birth parents can even play a role in selecting who will adopt their baby, and have many of their pregnancy expenses covered. They never go into foster care when they're put up for adoption, custody goes from parent to parent.

What you're talking about happens when the state steps in, says "you're a bad parent" and takes the kids, which places them in foster care. It's really two completely different systems.

Trivia: do you know children are considered older and harder to place after 6-8, unless they're black males? Then they're considered hard to place at 3-5.

Source: being a foster parent

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Dude's at the right age to be developing schizophrenia, and he's chosen some favorite schizophrenia-type topics, religion, illuminati...

The chopped-up baby dicks are different, I guess. He needs to be on something or off something, whichever the case may be.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

This cannot be real.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Slime posted:

The kind of people who'd shake a baby unless they're told it's a bad thing probably shouldn't be having kids anyway.

Most of the time it's parents who are at the end of their tether and just snap. It's rarely "gosh, I should shake the baby, that sounds like fun!". Making sure families have support in place and are aware of the dangers would be more effective.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Huntersoninski posted:

Well it was written in 1942, so of course its idea of women's roles is all hosed up. The question is why is it still being shared in earnest all these decades later?

Was it? It's not C.S. Lewis, someone else wrote it in his style.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Okay I have content:

Those are mealworms. They sell them as pet food (and human food - they're very healthy if you can get past the beetle larva thing). They're not parasites.

I don't know why that irritates me the most about this.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Puppy Time posted:

Since I am not a scientist: what's the ethical dilemma with being able to remove disease alleles from embryos? I can't see anything but good from that particular act.

Part of the problem is that genes are much more complicated than gene A causes syndrome A. Gene A may also be important in many other functions of the body, and we don't fully understand the interrelationships. Snipping the disease allele may cause other bad things to happen, and we don't know until we do it.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

belt posted:

I must not understand what goes on in women restrooms. I always thought there would be stalls but apparently they all sit in a circle staring at each other's genitals.

Weird.

This is why the protests make no sense to me. Women don't use urinals that are just out there and everyone can see their junk. We use stalls. You don't see anything anyway. I would never know if the person next to me was trans.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

EmmyOk posted:

Most Irish people loathe plastic paddies tbh

Plus those are child coal miners in West Virginia in the turn of the 20th century, photographed by Lewis Hine. They were probably of Welsh descent, but even if they were of Irish descent, they were no more slaves than any other industrial child laborer of the 1910s.

ETA: googled the image - man, these Irish slave memes really love Lewis Hine pictures, even though he didn't have any particular interest in the Irish (you can see his entire collection here). He didn't record ethnicity most of the time, except to note recent immigrants.

Bonster has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Jun 13, 2016

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Found the picture.

Pennsylvania, not West Virginia. No mention of being Irish.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Once again, this is a Lewis Hine picture, this one taken at the Maggioni canning factory in South Carolina in February 1911. No mention of being Irish in any of the slides, or any ethnicity. The girls' names are Josie, Bertha and Sophie. Most children working here were the offspring of immigrants or immigrants themselves. These children were no more slaves than any other industrial worker of the time, of any nationality.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

I'm going to put their ages at about 8.

I really hope I'm right.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

who cares. what about peanut butter m&ms

Only via cholesterol. They're worth it.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Mr. 47 posted:

This winner posts relationship advice regularly, and occasionally even peppers it with minion memes with the "handle me at my worst, deserve me at my best" bullshit.

Lady, you don't live in a romance movie.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

TinTower posted:

The key difference between something like BPD and NPD is that people with BPD actually feel remorse for their mental illness causing people to get hurt, and they actively work to mitigate that. Narcissists, well, there is that joke about why the narcissist crossed the road.

They thought it was a boundary.

I "love" how this person demands people enable their behaviors. And they wonder why people run away from them.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Plus her hair looks nasty.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Somebody blow that person's mind and tell them that cars can go both forwards and backwards!

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Field Mousepad posted:

I'd be totally ok with this if it wasn't a piece of canned pineapple just half rear end thrown on top. It takes like 5 minutes to chop up a fresh pineapple. At least grill it or something drat.

Sometimes canned works better. It tends to have a mellower, sweeter flavor than fresh pineapple since it's partially cooked when they can it. Fresh pineapple can sometimes overwhelm a dish if it's a good, spritely fruit.

I don't know if that's the case here, but it is sometimes.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Their Mom won't let them film in the house.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
There are black kids in his class in the movies. They're just not central cast.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Tap tap desperation
Sorry if huge - trying this posting on mobile thing for the first time.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Henchman of Santa posted:

Do the new Nancy strips ever feature her weird hot mom who appeared to be from one of those serious newspaper comics?

Yes, her Aunt Fritzi. She predated Nancy as a hot young flapper, then Nancy moved in and became the more popular character. Fritzi Ritz got demoted to Nancy's caregiver. She's shown up in the new Nancy pretty regularly.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

zoux posted:

I'm almost entirely sure that Trump's Greenland obsession is Mercator projection related

https://twitter.com/Tanya_Chen/status/1163576230366629891

I never knew motorcycle accidents left one so lovely and lethargically ravishing. I thought they were a lot more bloody and horrifying! I learned something today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

That70sHeidi posted:

Not being a penis-haver I may be wrong on this, but it's not like a penis is a foot long and you drop trou to piss in a urinal, so a woman would literally have to walk directly next to someone and then stare down to see a penis, right? Y'all have that wide stance going on too, and if there's more than one pisser it's more of a wall of saggy rear end pants than a penis party.

Also it's not polite to stare. If you don't want to see something, why would you be looking anyway? This whole situation is baffling to me. If I walk in and there's no doors on stalls, I'm not going to stare into each stall as I go past, looking at women pissing either. I mean, someone could be crouched over a drain in the middle of the floor and as long as I can see there's no blood, you do your thing girl, I'll go over here and do mine.

We need a plague.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_urinal

The Indiana State Fairgrounds used to have women's urinals, where you kind of hover-squatted over them to pee, in stalls with no doors. What you ended up with was women pairing up so one person could stand in the stall door facing out while the other person used the facilities. Total strangers would do this for each other. I was a kid and hated it because I was short and touched the porcelain no matter what I did. It was really awkward and they've since been replaced by conventional toilets.