Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Birb Katter posted:

Drop "Christmas is a time of year where people set up nativity scenes to celebrate a Middle Eastern family searching for refuge" in there somewhere if you can manage to swing it around to xmaschat.

The half-joking response I've seen to that is "it seemed to turn out pretty well for everbody in the end in that story".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Rabidbunny posted:

Don't you know Snopes doesn't work? According to many conservatives, everything they post is a bunch of liberal propaganda.

A lot of them are convinced that the people who run Snopes are secret Democratic party operatives, or at least personal friends of Obama.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I have a headache now

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Bottom reply is from a girl that grew up on a farm pretty much like you describe, then moved to a city at about 14.

"To us it was never a job, it was a lifestyle"

As someone who actually grew up on a family farm (I had to get up at 4 every day to help milk before school from 5th grade until I graduated) that statement is :psypop: as hell.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

Those make a good point. Tbh I never learned the pemdas acronym in French school, we did learn order of operations but never as a snappy acronym

That's surprising given the French love of acronyms.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

OptimusShr posted:

Teachers are underpaid here in the states too.

Not as much as in France, here and elementary school teacher makes between 1879€ and 2016€ in take-home pay after 10 years in "service". Your first year you start out at 1325€. Of course if you work in private schools you often start out right at minimum wage, 1137€ take-home, like me.

That said, I'd much rather teach here than in the States. I have a great deal of autonomy in my classroom, there's no bullshit standardized tests to spend a third of the year taking or preparing for and I get French state healthcare and labor protections. A lot of my childhood friends back in the States are teachers and more than a few of them have temporary contracts each year and they never really know if they're going to have a job for the fall until July or August and a couple of them don't have contracts for the summer months so they have to go find a summer job with the college kids.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah it's almost as bad as researchers. One advantage is that a teacher in the French public system is a civil servant and thus p much un-fireable and guaranteed a job for life.

My schools are associative so most of our teachers are under contract with the state, and even those of us who aren't still get a CDI so it's still pretty hard to get rid of us.

mind the walrus posted:

:stare: Is that per month?

Yup. The worst thing is that there's no cost of living adjustments, so a teacher teaching in downtown Paris makes just as little as a teacher living in rural buttfuck nowhere.

e: In public schools, of course there are super expensive private schools that pay very well.

e2: And to become a public elementary school teacher you need a masters degree in education and to pass a competitive exam. The last time I took the exam (which I can't win because I'm not European, I took it for scholarship purposes) there were only positions for about 3% of the candidates.

Soviet Commubot has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Jan 2, 2016

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Mort Adella here is a black veteran arguing with Nick R. Bocker, a racist old Army buddy of his. Also a bunch of other :stare: poo poo.

Here's a link to the imgur album because I ended up having to do 19 goddamned screenshots of it.

http://imgur.com/a/fNx7Y

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I know a fair few people here in France with guns and they're all hunters or just like to plink from time to time. That said, all but a couple of the people I know with guns back in my Midwestern hometown have them for those same reasons, so :shrug:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

The Bernie hate is starting to come out.

A conservative former Army buddy of mine on Facebook was all about Bernie until a couple of weeks ago when something changed and now about 50% of his posts are now anti-Bernie posts. The other half? You guessed it: pro-Trump

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Well, that certainly was a thing.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Elblanco posted:

There's no potential here, this guy is a rapist. This is insane.

I don't know how to embed tweets but he's really mad at Jewish people too.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

You just copy and paste the url

Well drat.

Apparently this guy thinks that most people who disagree with him are Jewish.

https://twitter.com/JahMMARastafari/status/696123146026352640
https://twitter.com/JahMMARastafari/status/696200028218523649
https://twitter.com/JahMMARastafari/status/696200143402446850
https://twitter.com/JahMMARastafari/status/696202842231603200

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

Tbh I find both of those chuckle worthy but maybe it's just because over here no one gives a gently caress about some US sport game airing in the middle of the night and thus I have never been bombarded by them.

I got invited to two different Superbowl viewing parties here in France last night :shrug:

I'm on vacation and I like football and all but I'm not staying up all night unless my team is playing and since I'm a Detroit fan that means it'll never happen.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

TinTower posted:

:females: should be an emote if it isn't already

There's an old Chrome extension called Ferenginizer that would make a pretty good emote.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

This was shared unironically by three different people on my feed last night. :allears:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Wait, is he saying some form of feminist Islam took over the world?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

This was posted unironically.

The Military.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

While I don't argue that there are people on that list who could fit a definition of "smart," I feel like "lots of" is putting it a bit strongly.

I'm just confused as to why David Duke and Jean Marie Le Pen aren't on it.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

The wading through a swamp with a baby in one hand and a gun in the other as the idealistic father with no real context other than redneckery is definitely kind of weird though.

I see it all the time on Facebook, I grew up in a very rural area and lots of people have latched onto redneckery as their only real identity. It's a constant stream of poo poo like a picture of a super nice cabin with "share if you'd rather live here than in the city" or a bonfire with "share if you'd rather do this than go to a nightclub". Since rural communities have been slowly drying up and blowing away their whole lives I guess they feel like their identity is threatened.

The weirdest for me are the posts about cowboys mixed in. I grew up in Michigan and our rednecks are way more like Canadian ones than Texans. The cliche is a guy in flannel, a tchook, jeans and drunkenly careening down deer trails on a snowmobile, none of which is all that cowboy-ish. I guess it's a bit like Canadian and Australian racists posting American right wing memes, domestic meme production isn't prolific enough so they need to get it elsewhere.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

It was mine too until I blocked my sister. Seriously, we grew up 20 miles outside of DC.

The whole near fetishization of rural life thing done by suburbanites is such a strange thing to me, especially as the things they glorify is largely the stuff that I really don't miss.

I grew up in a really, really rural area but most of the people I know who constantly post that poo poo are from stable middle class families whose "farm house" is surrounded by fields that were sold to some big agribusiness concern decades ago. The rural poor that I know, like my entire family, are generally split into two groups: chilled-out weed smokers and coked-out white supremacists. Figuring what percentage is what would be very depressing.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I once dated a girl from India who immigrated to the US when she was a kid. My grandma in Wisconsin was totally fine with it being an interracial relationship because she was the daughter of two Norwegian immigrants and my grandpa was the son of two Swedish immigrants and they both got tons of poo poo from their families over being "traitors" and all that. But once she found out the girl's family moved to Michigan when they came to the US, now that was inexcusable, no grandson of hers was going to be dating someone from Michigan. Prejudice is loving weird.

My great grandpa (in Michigan, incidentally) was kinda the same, he wasn't overly fond of non-white people but he'd tolerate them because he knew he should but he really loving hated people from Ohio. Not in the playful football rivalry way, in a serious "fuckers better be out of town before dark if they know what's good for them" sort of way. He didn't even like football so I don't even know where all of that came from.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

The family has been in Michigan since before the war so I suppose it's not impossible that it was passed down from generation to generation. My grandma, his daughter, "hates" Ohio in the playful football rivalry way (like everyone else in the family) so maybe she was the one who broke the chain of hate :unsmith:

I think I may have a Trump supporter Facebook friend working up the courage to come out publicly. Today is the Michigan primary so I'm hoping to see a few slapfights.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I'm excited for the guy who posted that to come out as a Trump supporter as his politics have always been stupid as hell. He's gone back and forth between being a pro-Obama Democrat and a Republican as a function of his financial situation so I can't wait to see him get all excited about Trump.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Otisburg posted:

At least you can't say he's one of those idiots who votes against his own interests, though yo-yo-ing in and out of the income level where you're rich enough that voting Republican makes sense must be a heck of a rollercoaster ride.

I don"t think he's ever really made enough that voting Republican would make sense, he just gets that way when he feels like he's making more than the people around him. I don't know what exactly he does but judging from his Facebook posts it's feast or famine and it's feast time at the moment so it's Republican time.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

TheDon01 posted:

I actually hear it a lot from military friends of mine. It's never in a weird MRA M'lady sort of way but rather in a more clinical almost military jargon way if that makes sense. I dunno, maybe they got chewed out if they said anything other than male/female.

In the Army at least they use exclusively male/female, presumably because someone somewhere decided that it sounds more professional.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Looks like a joke based on the watermark, but I love the bong on the counter.

I'm 99% sure it's from this photo series about veterans and suicide. Lots of people are smoking weed to self treat their PTSD so the bong doesn't seem all that bizarre.

Sorry for the HuffPost link

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/26/veteran-vision-project_n_6753902.html

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Serperoth posted:

I don't get this? Is rip it made of people? Is it commentary on how veterans are poor and they have to buy from the dollar store?

A couple of the cans say "tribute" so maybe it's that? :wtc:

Rip Its are/were issued to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Puntification posted:

Does orientate mean something different in the military?

To orientate doesn't normally exist in American varieties of English, we use to orient. To my ears, and probably to most Americans, it sounds like a redneckism and was probably picked up ironically at first and then became a tribal marker like so many things in the military.

usbombshell posted:

The comment that people in the military will get angry about loving anything is 100% correct.

The only people angrier about dumb poo poo than people in the military are veterans because they've spent years bottling the really vile poo poo up inside and can finally let loose with no fear of an EO complaint.

Both Ken Tucky and Travis Tee were in the military and Travis gets really mad that anyone suggests that telling poor people "bootstraps" might not be the most effective policy. Also, what's the point of an education if everyone can get one?

I hosed things up here for a bit, Robin Banks is Ken Tucky, Mark Key is Travis Tee

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Tiggum posted:

This is true of other countries as well. The base word is "orient" and "orientate" comes from mistakenly working backwards from "orientation" (orient-ation).

For some reason I thought it was a more accepted variant in British English.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

A lot of idiots seem to think that fast food workers spend most of their day lazing around, occasionally slapping a burger together at a rate of one per hour if those "burgers will cost $12" memes are to believed.

I find the dumb "soldiers make less than fast food!' memes especially hilarious, as I did both fast food and the military for several years and even if the pay were as similar as these idiots think (which it's not) I'd cheerfully take a year in Afghanistan over a year working full time at a McDonalds, much less the sitting around in garrison most of the Army is going to be doing until the next war.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Eponine posted:

Having a few acquaintances who are Army wives, no one likes to special treatment like military spouses.

I'm sure I posted it in the PYF or DnD thread at the time but I a couple of people on my Facebook saw this when it was published in 2012 and didn't get that Duffelblog is the military Onion.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/07/new-dod-policy-to-assign-rank-to-military-spouses/

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

It's come up before, but drat I find this attitude bizarre. Are you saying scaffolders should be paid more, or burger servers should be paid less? What kind of bitter do you have to be to wish a lesser wage on someone?

There's a couple of things at play here:

One is the question of who deserves what. In this hierarchy people in trades are categorically more deserving than fast food workers and should be paid substantially more.

The second is just world theory, those construction workers make 17 bucks an hour because that's clearly what the market has decided and the market is the sole moral arbiter of pay. Artifically raising the pay of fast food workers gives them a moral "worth" that they don't have the right to. Since the construction worker's pay was set by the market it's already where it should be so it's the fast food worker who should get less, not both getting more.

Source: I was a shithead conservative teenager, although I wasn't able to put those ideas into words until much later . The ironic thing is that my family were dirt poor farmers and thus towards the bottom of the "moral worth" scale but propaganda is a hell of a thing.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

But these markets don't occur in isolation, right? Wouldn't the fact that a McDonald's cashier earns almost as much as a construction worker drive people away from a risky job into a relatively mindless and safe one, forcing builders wages up in turn?

Those are meaningless questions for people who think this way. For them the market is natural and moral structure, artifically bumping up the builders wages indirectly is as immoral as bumping up the fast food workers wage.

The underlying assumption is that the free market pays a fair wage because the definition of a fair wage is what the free market pays. An underlying assumption behind that one is that employers already pay their employees the most they can afford in order to attract the best people for the job and that in the free market productivity drives wages in a meaningful way thus forcing higher wages will unquestionably harm the business because it's already a finely tuned machine running at peak efficiency.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

The Snoo posted:

So what's on the underside of the 'flat earth'??

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

DicktheCat posted:

I also know my state's anthem, too, but that's mostly because TN is massively into football and you hear it all the time during the season. Orange still= Vols to me, even though I don't care much for sports

When my niece was in elementary school she had to do the Michigan pledge, which I had never heard of before and when she moved to Texas in middle school they did the Texas pledge there too.

I know they sing the Breton national anthem at most if not all games at the stadium here in Rennes, I have no idea if they do it in other stadiums in Brittany. Two Breton teams played in the Coupe de France finals a couple of times over the last few years and they did the Breton anthem in the national stadium in Paris. It made far-right wing people mad, which is pretty cool.

Change the colors of the flags and change the song and this is pretty much what most non-Americans seem to think the US is like all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBaZkZh-gcg

For some content, I thought about commenting how the American soldier in this picture is wearing an Israeli uniform and has a big star of David on his chest but :effort:

Anen

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

SpaceViking posted:

It's saying that the US is controlled by the Jews probably.

The image was definitely originally supposed to be about Israelis and Palestinians, somebody just lazily slapped "American" under the guy and called it a day. I've also seen a ton of "Support are American Troops!" images with British or Canadian soldiers in them. For some reason the people who make these memes don't pay much attention to detail.

Fathis Munk posted:

Bretagne is pretty loving weird with all their pent up independent spirit though, usually anthems are only an international thing as others have pointed out.

Do Corsica and maybe Alsace do the same sorts of things? I honestly don't know.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I love these things, and the conspiracy theories because they are so loving stupid. Ousting Saddam and all the poo poo that followed was a terrible plan and didn't serve the interests of this Illuminati at all. "Saddam wants to use the Euro? Better spend trillions to kill him and gently caress up the region to boot. That'll fix everything!"

I remember that particular conspiracy theory getting thrown out a lot during the Bush years after a bunch of Democrats discovered a British comedian peddling it during his show. Relevant part starts at 27:09.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIpm_8v80hw

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

poo poo, I remember this from the time. He hasn't been seen or heard from since...

It's funny, out of the people I know that were really worked about about that particular conspiracy about half went full on Infowars and the other half quietly reverted to smug middle class liberalism when Obama was elected, but whichever way they went they seem to have completely forgotten about this thing they thought was finally going to bring down the neocon war machine once and for all. Provided Bush didn't declare martial law and suspend elections that is.

The Bush years were a weird time for a lot of people.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Eeyo posted:

Maybe they're british so it's 1£/lb? That's a pretty common mistake though, she should know they cancel so it should just be "meat more than 1".

I don't think even the grumpiest of British conservatives thinks that ~50% of the population is on public assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

RANDOM
HORSE
MEMES