Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I love how these people think our government is so cruel and oppressive as to kill thousands of its own unsuspecting citizens yet let the ~*~REAL TRUTH~*~ come out on da internetz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

im gay posted:

Someone is having a meltdown on my feed.

I unfriended someone once over something similar (I think it was gay marriage). Something like "if you believe in gay marriage go ahead and unfriend me because reasons." So I did. A few days later got an angry message in my other folder demanding to know why I unfriended him. I was honest, so of course he had to start an argument about gay marriage. Bro, if you wanted to argue about it, why did you ask us to delete you because you didn't want to argue about it?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Guilty Spork posted:

When the gently caress has there been a case where Americans had a chance to be refugees? If things were as screwed here as in Syria you can bet there would be plenty of American refugees.

Instead we've just helped create situations where people from other countries wind up as refugees.

Please, we've got pussy rear end bitches threatening to piss off to Canada if Obama is elected/if the ACA passes/if homos start gettin' married. We wouldn't last ten minutes under a terrorist regime. We lose our loving minds if they're out of pumpkin spice at Starbucks.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

darkwasthenight posted:

Some poo poo on IFLS was floating round FB the other day and I cannot be persuaded it's not a parody. Having known some physicists irl they're not a breed known for their personal skills and this is the worst idea ever.

gently caress

ing

hell

My mom shared this on my page today. I didn't open the link but I can recognize some of the text from the preview. Is this her way of saying she wants to be remembered? Put that poo poo in a will, mom, your daughter is a lawyer and she's not going to listen to facebook posts as final wishes.

Ahhhh I should probably talk to her about writing a living will. She's only 60 but she's kind of flaky so I doubt she has one. Never easy to talk about it but it's better than forwarding some poo poo on facebook and hoping that gets honored as your final wishes.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I see many people saying "turkey day"
No.
It's Thanksgiving. Be thankful for poo poo not just the turkey

This bothers me too. I guess this belongs in the pet peeve thread, but turkey day is just kinda gross to me, probably because I'm a recently-returning vegetarian. We're at the point where even Halloween is being crushed by Christmas, and Thanksgiving or "turkey day" is just the official point of permission to the assholes who've been talking about Christmas since August to feel justified.* Putting the whole thing on a dead bird kind of kills the spirit of the holiday.

*I really don't hate Christmas, I think it's a very nice time of year and I love seeing trees and buildings all lit up. But the more and earlier people talk about it, the more over it I am.

Also, I really can't be the only one who loves to get down with a shorty, right? I'm 5'6" and 5'8" is a perfect height for me. 6'0" and I start to feel a little dwarfed. Don't want those shorties? Send 'em to me. I'm definitely not alone--I know several men who are even shorter than me dating lovely tall girls because they are handsome, kind, and fun to be around. Basically, if you're cool and don't get all hissy over a girl wearing heels or being taller than you (I've known guys who do this), it won't matter how tall you are to most people.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I'm thankful for retarded land fowl though.

Ahhhh you just made me realize I agree with LoB on something.

I'll see myself out. :hangs head:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I bought a parachute off a guy from a Facebook skydiving group and he added me. Seems like a nice guy and he posts a lot of useful skydiving stuff--not just stuff for sale, but articles, advice, etc. I really don't want to unfriend or hide him because of the skydiving stuff but he posts anti-Muslim hate at least five times a day. Some of it is "ah, come on, it's just a [tasteless, racist, unfunny] joke!" but some of it is outright fearmongering and hatred. So far I've just been blocking individual pages he posts from, but if he keeps on, eventually the crap posts will outweigh the useful ones.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

goose fleet posted:

I like how the fading text can represent the reader increasingly losing interest in him

That was exactly what happened (and this wasn't even my post). "Oh, he's cute!...well, that's not so bad...okay, that's a little weir...okay, no."

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I am lucky that most of my friends are normal, hilariously someone just posted this on my timeline:

http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/it-ok-spank-misbehaving-child-once-while

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I have a facebook acquaintance--she dated a friend of mine for a year--who seems pretty harmless. Her facebook feed is mostly just 4 or 5 of those "OMG I NEED COFFEE" or "I can't live without wine, tee-hee!" or "OMG you guys I'm like so sarcastic and I hate everyone, jk you're cool!"or "I'm going to murder every one of my coworkers today, but it's okay because I am putting it in someecard format!" per day. It's mostly just annoying, but then we got treated to this bit of TMI today.

Um, okay? Thanks for letting us know, I guess?

Honestly, her feed is so negative with some of these "jokes" kind of make me a little more positive, because it makes me realize that when I'm grumpy I get really close to sounding just like these memes.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I can confirm. I don't know how truly common it is but my son has a terminal illness and went on a make a wish trip to Disney World and we got yelled at one of the days. The people working were really apologetic and it wasn't terrible but I can say that 1/1 days I went it happened.

JFC, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad your son got to go, but holy Christ that's awful. I can't believe people sometimes.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Soviet Commubot posted:

I see it all the time on Facebook, I grew up in a very rural area and lots of people have latched onto redneckery as their only real identity. It's a constant stream of poo poo like a picture of a super nice cabin with "share if you'd rather live here than in the city" or a bonfire with "share if you'd rather do this than go to a nightclub". Since rural communities have been slowly drying up and blowing away their whole lives I guess they feel like their identity is threatened.

The weirdest for me are the posts about cowboys mixed in. I grew up in Michigan and our rednecks are way more like Canadian ones than Texans. The cliche is a guy in flannel, a tchook, jeans and drunkenly careening down deer trails on a snowmobile, none of which is all that cowboy-ish. I guess it's a bit like Canadian and Australian racists posting American right wing memes, domestic meme production isn't prolific enough so they need to get it elsewhere.

Hey, I have this girl on my friends list too! She's my niece's boyfriend's sister and she's very nice, but I swear next time I see her post something from Cute 'n' Country or Just Country Girl Things, I may strain my eyeballs from rolling them.

The best part is...I don't think she ever goes outside and really does anything. Most of the people who post stuff like this don't really get out. Hell, I live in the bay area, about the most prissy environment there is, I mean we're talking people standing in line for two hours to eat a mediocre ice cream sandwich because it's really trendy right now. Yet the people that live here are more likely to get outside and work or play than she is. We may not bale hay or ride tractors, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't either.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

china bot posted:

My dad's side of the family is entirely Sicilian. They all live in southern Michigan, which is where they've ALWAYS lived since moving from Sicily, and in the past 20 years they have all developed redneck accents and now wear camo to every family gathering

I dated an Indian guy, in the bay area, who wanted so badly to be a redneck that he voted straight Republican, wore more flannel than an actual cowboy could possibly own, drove a beat-up old pickup truck he couldn't restore because he didn't actually work on cars, listened to country music exclusively, had a military fetish to the point of making us all wait for coffee that he made over an illicit campfire using equipment he got at army surplus when there was a coffee shop ten feet away, and took speech therapy lessons to rid himself of his accent.

When he ultimately married a white woman, she wore a sari to their very traditional Indian wedding. I have no idea if she's a redneck too, or if he is still acting out his cowboy fantasies. From what I hear they're happy, so good for them.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Yes, be more judicious who you sleep with.

..."why won't anyone sleep with meeee? Frigid bitches!"

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Dienes posted:

I had an ex threaten to sue me for 'half of date expenses' when we broke up.

I had an ex do something similar! He spent a Saturday night tallying up all the money he'd spent on me over the previous six months. He didn't threaten to sue me or anything, but he made sure to hold it over my head for the duration of our relationship.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

I hope "the duration of the relationship" was the time it took him to say "I just tallied up all the money I've spent on you."

I wish I could say that, but no.

At least while he was home doing that...I was out with friends. I'm sure we bought each other drinks and didn't keep tallies on it.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Scathach posted:

Maybe you should Google "self-mutilation" and figure out what that actually entails, eh?

Anyway,

If this is true, why should we only let women in on the secret? I'll get the strap-on and get started on pain relief for the dudes.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Green moon on 4/20, only happens every 420 years? Someone is having a fun joke.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I witnessed an IOSM in real life this weekend while skydiving. I don't know if the guy forgot I was the only woman on the plane (it's a small Cessna so we have a long ascent and we talk about random poo poo on the way up), or if he didn't think I'd care but he was bitching about the reboot of Ghostbusters, and his first complaint was about the all-female cast. I piped up "oh no, a movie with GIRLS?! No women allowed in our treehouse!" He backpedaled pretty quickly and insisted he was bummed because it could never be as good as the original and wouldn't match the subtle humor of Bill Murray.

He's an otherwise cool guy and gave me a high-five for my retort, so I'll let it slide, but I'm glad I spoke up. If I had let it go without saying anything, he might think I agree with him.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I wonder what the Venn diagram of "no men in the bathroom with my daughter/wife/granddaughter!" men, and those who harass strange women on the street, would look like.

I don't have a lot of hateful people on my feed, but if any of them uses the slippery slope argument that "anyone could put on a dress and molest children!" I'll be sure to point out that the same is true of a priest's collar.

I did see this today, though, so :

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

If I remember my reading right, a lot of it depends on training the people involved until they revert to their trained motions in a fight-or-flight situation instead of most people's lovely instincts. Instead of reverting to flailing or freezing up, they revert to following their instilled training. This can unfortunately lead to some problems with things like poorly trained police officers: they get taught to fear civilians because "Anyone at a traffic stop could just whip out a gun and blow your head off for no reason!" and aren't given as much time learning peaceful conflict resolution and negotiation. When they panic, they revert to training that basically tells them to scream and point a gun at whoever's threatening them, or tackle them to the ground and wrench their arms around.

I can't speak to any kind of fight or assault situation, but in my limited experience parachuting, we have to be prepared for a malfunction at any time. Even though I haven't had a high-speed or life-threatening malfunction, on my very first student jump I had semi-serious line twists, and after only a day of drilling, I remembered how to get out of it. I'm always afraid of panicking during an emergency, but you'd be surprised how easily your training comes back to you. Whether it's turbulence, another canopy nearby, or unexpected stuff in your landing area, you manage to remain calm until you make it to the ground, then strut around with false bravado about how "it really wasn't that big a deal landing in the prison yard" while internally shaking like a leaf and making GBS threads your pants.

So basically, muscle memory, drilling, and not panicking really make a difference in whether you lose your poo poo and spray everyone with bullets or are able to keep your composure. I know there's not a huge parallel between parachuting and a dangerous fight situation, both involve staying calm in dangerous situations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
You guys, I got quoted by LoB. Am I famous now?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

And this dude's response to that video of guys reading Twitter rape threats to female sports reporters:

https://twitter.com/17deuce/status/724985815579893760

I'm mostly impressed that he used "faze" correctly. I've started to assume most people don't even realize it's a word, and use "phase" for everything.

SpliffClavin posted:

What are her thoughts on pickup trucks and gravel roads?

Except for the fishing part, isn't this really everyone? Of course, "great rear end" is subjective, but I assume anyone you'd want to hook up with would have a great rear end in your own eyes. And I guess not everyone drinks beer, but it's not like women who drink beer are some kind of unicorn. Almost every woman I know will take a beer if offered, if she's not the one providing it herself.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

That nun is super old and they're all super in to wearing the habit at all times.

Would you say shes :grin: ...in the hab...oh.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah, you tell 'em Allison!

Funny thing is, I, a white woman, could wear this hat (maybe not to work) and I'd have a bunch of other white people standing around congratulating me and themselves on how wonderful we are for realizing that, hey, we have something of an equality problem in this country.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
The amount of Bernie bros on my feed who legitimately think Hillary rigged the election herself is just astounding. Look, I liked the guy too, but let's be real here, he was fighting an uphill battle and the progress he did make was pretty impressive. It's really no surprise she swept him.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Scensty is on it's way out, but I keep seeing poo poo for those wraps and one person I know is super into the Dove chocolate thing. So imagine those really dumb minion memes your parents post, but with a sales pitch for dove chocolate at the end of it.

As in, the gross, waxy Dove chocolate that is sold in regular stores? What is this new scam?

A woman I met once and followed on Instagram some time ago is now a "beachbody coach." She even changed her instagram handle (which I didn't know you could do!) from "randomname" to "name_fitmom." Every post is about fitness and beachbody products and shakes and workouts, usually combined with a picture of her kid. It's like all of Pinterest in every post. The workouts are quite good--I can still barely complete an Insanity workout, and I work out intensely at least 6 days a week--but it's a total scam.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

EvilGenius posted:

Yup, my wife gets fired up about these. At one point our daughter was at nursery 5 days a week, so posts about mums who are putting their kid in 1 day because they get free hours off the government, and how it's sooooo hard to leave them are a little jarring.

That and phrases like 'full time mum'. What, is my wife a part time mum?

That is exactly what they think. "How can you let a stranger raise your kids?!" Because if you're not spending every second smothering your children instead of socializing them and preparing them for the world, you're not a REAL MOMTM.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Ok Fella posted:

It made people that wanted to lose weight through surgery or however seem like total assholes.

Yea the "my mom 'moved out of her body' so she wouldn't look like me" angle is a little too self-serving for my liking. She literally said she felt "betrayed" by her own mother.

Sorry if this hits too close to home to someone, but other people who are thinner/fitter/healthier have body issues too, and if they want to fix them, it's not a personal insult to anyone else.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I have a facebook friend who I barely know, whose girlfriend is named Lakyn. He's very excited to have a girlfriend and he tags her in just about everything he posts. "Hillary? More like KILLary! LOL Rite Lakyn?!" I cringe so hard every time. I should probably hide him but he goes several weeks without posting anything so I forget about him, and then goes on a 2-3 day posting rampage. I barely know the guy and I have never met Lakyn but I already don't like her because of her name and also he posts the most inane garbage ever. Trucks, guns, snakes, Lakyn, and hating liberals is as far as his mind can stretch.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

Also, I can't be the only one completely horrified at that "inspiring" picture where she's holding the baby that is in no way equipped to be out of her body, a black/purple mass of cells. Put that kid in an incubator or something, jesus.

It's probably one of the dead ones. People are really weird about stillborns or those who die shortly after birth. The parents usually take pictures, which is understandable, but I wonder if they gave Gross Aunt Shirley permission to post pictures of their intimate moment around the internet to make a point?

Dammit, beaten.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Freaquency posted:

I'll never understand that mentality. We're these guys such a terror as a teenager that they regard every man who looks their daughter's way with such suspicion?

Probably. Ladies in the thread, raise your hands if your dad ever told you "I know how teenage boys think; I was one once." I know what my dad was like as a teenager, and my teenage boyfriend was the polar opposite, thankfully.

A couple of facebook friends are going at it right now, or were--one of them is an older competitive pole dancer with a killer body, and the other is a young nanny who also has a killer body. At some point they had an issue with each other and (some suspect) the young one reported the old one on facebook because her facebook name is a pseudonym referring to her rear end. She was asked to change her name or shut down her page, she appealed and won. That should be the end of it, right? But no, in celebration, the pole dancer (who by all rights looks amazing) has decided to post a new picture every day of her rear end. I lasted five days before unfollowing her. It's a very nice rear end and she's a very nice lady, but I've met her exactly once and I feel like I know her rear end more intimately than her face at this point. She's blocked the younger woman who allegedly reported her, so it's not like that girl is seeing her celebratory rear end pics anyway.

I mean hell, I'm 37 and definitely have the capacity to be petty and childish at times, but this is a bit much.

On a lighter note, a guy I met once posted a picture of his back covered in scratches from his adventures the night before. I used to get a lot of unsolicited friend requests from friends of friends or complete strangers who are in the same sport as me, and I made the rule to not add anyone until I've met them at least once. I may have to extend that rule to 5 times or more. I feel like I should know you a little better before I'm privy to your sex habits or your asscheeks.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I keep seeing people sharing the text of the (current) pledge of allegiance, with "UNDER GOD" in all caps, preceded and followed by USUSUSUSUSUS in a weird font. The first time I saw it, it was from my nutty Bible-thumper great-aunt, but some sane people have shared it too. I don't know if they're trying to throw Christianity/theism at us, or if they're trying to show a sense of unity, or want peace, or are just being weird. Anyone else seen this?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah all their burns are hilariously unfunny.

Also this video and all the comments are pretty bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiZH5eH5eDw

I had to stop reading after a commenter posted "sorry that happened to you buddy!" and a bunch of people piled on her for friendzoning him instead of immediately offering to blow him.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

Did they think that girls would be throwing themselves over drone-stalker guy?

I mean I sympathize with the guy. But from a proper distance.

To be fair, it was only a couple of guys, but they were assholes about it. Then one guy suggested he deserved some "pity fucks" (which is sure to make both parties feel good about themselves), and finally someone jumped in to call everyone assholes for bringing up friendzoning. All of this because she said "buddy" to a guy on the internet.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

^^^Speaking of guys with untreated mental illnesses...
I'd love for you to point out the part where I said that, because I nowhere in that post do I make any mention of gender.

Could guys pull that same stupid poo poo? Absolutely, I'd bet money on it. Have I seen it happen? No, because I'm a straight guy and thus I don't date other guys, thus I don't see guys getting mad at their SO for cheating on them in a dream, etc.

I haven't dated too many crazies, but I did have a guy break up with me for saying I disagreed with some of my sister's choices, but that she was a good parent and a good person. In his mind the two couldn't be true--I couldn't disagree with some of the things she did, but still believe she was a good person at the same time. That meant I was a liar and therefore untrustworthy and probably cheating on him.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
"This person has their vagina within three feet of their head and you're talking about personal space."

Uh, that's how female anatomy works? How long does this guy think a torso is?

I'm aware he's probably talking about the woman's vagina being near the guy's head, but it's not clear.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

I imagine he can't sit down on a crowded bus without being stirred into a frenzy.

Let's hope he never plays chicken in the pool with a couple of friends. His poor heart might explode. He'd probably drown his partner because "her vagina is right next to my head!"

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Someone I only vaguely know posted this on facebook, about why "Indians" (no actual tribe or anything, just "Indians") keep their hair long.

http://theusualroutine.com/2016/12/13/truth-hair-indians-keep-hair-long/

TLDR, their hair gives them a "sixth sense" that allows them to track prey better and keeps them safe from harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

TinTower posted:

While you weren't believing in conspiracy theories, I studied the blade.

I saw the thumbnail and read this as "repel the next generation." And I almost agreed.