Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

I've been pretty lucky to have no horrible stuff about the french attacks or muslims on my feed, but has anyone else had a poo poo ton of people saying "Nobody's talking about Lebanon/all these other places that were attacked!"
Is there going to be this flood of "Why do you only care about that thing? What about all these other things?" every time a tragedy happens?

Just let people be sad, guys. Don't try and make a point out of it.

Corley posted:

This dumb poo poo should be illegal to post before December.

From first page but actually yeah, that "holiday tree" is what Christmas looks like for me. Thanks for being southern-hemisphere inclusive, person who made this image! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Mods aren't so sure about keeping this thread around, so if you want it to live you might want to tone it down a little, LoB.

Oh no, this is my favourite thread! :ohdear:

If it goes I will change my fb picture for it RIP

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

VoteTedJameson posted:

I don't know if anyone else got this but I'm being flooded with "What about this OTHER tragedy" posts scolding people for being sad over Paris. I noticed that one of my friends posted about the Al Shabab attack on Garissa U. in Kenya...which happened last April. Then when I was browsing BBC I saw that their account of the Kenya attack was something like 3rd on their currently trending articles. Which indicates to me that so many people saw a friend erroneously posting it (You racists only care about attacks on white people etc) then jumped on that bandwagon themselves that they pushed it almost to the top of that list. Not great.

Yeah, I mentioned this just above.

It's actually gone from a day or two of nothing but those posts to no mention of any of the tragedies, people seem to have completely moved on.
I also didn't see anyone mention any of the other attacks outside of the context of "Why do you care about France more than these?" That kind of made the message seem a bit, I dunno, insincere?

I've actually had someone apologise about posting the Kenya thing, probably after someone told them off for posting old articles to push false social agendas.
I'm sure they just didn't pay attention to the date but surely if you cared that much about something you'd check that.

Fathis Munk posted:

Interestingly I see those reactions even on my mostly French Facebook. Though so far my friends haven't ventured too far into scolding yet.

An image that resumed the whole thing pretty well :

Yup, exactly this.

I am a bit sad that this is going to happen every time anything happens.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

We brought refugees into the state/country before and it's hasn't gone well . these people are walking / riding around in brand new cars cell phones name brAnd clothing I can go on and on.

How is that not going well? Isn't that the point? :(

Do these people expect the refugees to come to these new countries and live in the same conditions that they left behind?

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

A week or so ago someone on here mentioned International Men's Day and I was hoping some stuff would come up.
But the only thing I've seen relating to it is this http://i.imgur.com/v09FmND.jpg

I guess there's nothing because nobody actually cares about a Men's Day, they just want to complain when there's a Women's Day. :(

at least the comic is pretty cute!
(when I first saw it on facebook all the comments were along the lines of "Ugh, who let the feminists in", but that's the closest I've got to IoSM)

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Rondette posted:

Ok, are both the red and the green comments from the same people both times, they appear to contradict themselves.

Red in the first comment is saying they want a woman who's hot AND nice (and religious) rather than just one who's hot.

I'm not sure what's up with green though. It looks like they're backing out of their own advice.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

No we don't lol. You can't take away someones right to own a firearm for nonviolent crimes (oh wait they already do that to felons who committed non violent drug crimes!) Taking away machine guns & anything along those lines just sets us up for martial law. We have the 2nd amendment because we are suppose to over throw the government if they committ treason- which they have.

No where does it say it is open for regulation, and you do realize there are militas throughout this country, right?
According the constitution, we can legally declare war on our government.
So I'm sure the founding fathers would disagree about regulations.

Yes I totally want our government to regulate guns so we can't defend ourselves. Yes I want the same people who gave dangerous cartels weapons to tell me what I can and can't have in my home.
(Sarcasm)

Sheep will be sheep.

If they think that their government is committing treason then why aren't they already trying to overthrow it?
Why are they not declaring war? They're all talk, man. Crazy, crazy talk.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Elderbean posted:

Guy just shits up my friends thread with all his dumb conservative talking points.

Holy poo poo I want to argue with that guy.

Of course, not actually. If he was on my feed I wouldn't last long at all.
Luckily none of my actual friends are like this but one of them loves to bait people like this.

They care so much about these kids lives but once they're born it's "Get off welfare!" "Why do you want $15 for working at McDonalds!" etc etc

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Brick Shipment posted:

I play a virtual pet game because somehow I grew up and never got sick of them. There are other adults that also grew up and never got sick of them, but lots of them are this:

As another adult who for some reason still does pet sites, those things are an absolute goldmine for people like that.

I'm also wondering what the hell those "*****" are.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Fluo posted:

I don't care that she is black in this play, I just find the people getting mad at her being black in the play are as dumb as the people falling over themselves to say she wasn't white in the books

I want Hermione to be played by Idris Elba :swoon:

I dunno, pointing to book covers isn't always the best for proving what characters are supposed to look like since they're just an interpretation too. The first book had Dumbledore as a young man with a short brown beard on the cover! (I was so confused for the longest time, I had no idea who it was supposed to be.)

If a book's vague with a description I just get my own image and ignore anything that tries to change it once it's stuck. If you decide to say he has blonde hair halfway though the book then screw you I'm still imagining it as brown!

Basically it doesn't matter and everyone will be cast as white when it's made into a movie anyway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthsea_(miniseries)

twistedmentat posted:

Technology exists to just have Elba be everyone in a movie. And it would be the best movie EVER.

Can we all just be Idris Elba?

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

I don't think that authors have any input on the book covers, do they?

Yeah, exactly. Most of the time they're just another interpretation of it, right?

And from some of the covers I've seen it seems like the illustrator barely bothered reading the book at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

His tone seems so hateful but what he's saying actually sounds kind of supportive of trans men.

belt posted:

I must not understand what goes on in women restrooms. I always thought there would be stalls but apparently they all sit in a circle staring at each other's genitals.

Weird.

Why else do you think we always go to the bathroom in a group?