Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Ahem.... I think the correct term is original gamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

EvilGenius posted:

Are you Beach Body Ready? Cover up your genitals for legal reasons, and get the gently caress down there!

But seriously, I realise it can't work in practice, short of coming up with movie rating style body that picks apart every ad for negative messages. So the model in that ad has a real, albeit unattainable body shape - the ad is still reinforcing the idea that you should have to have a particular body shape to be able to go on the beach, which is the most damaging part of the ad. You could remove the image altogether and keep a lot of that message - what's a beach body? I need to be a particular shape to go on the beach, and I need this product to get that? Well poo poo.

A strong healthy body is attainable for a lot of people, and out of those, a certain number are willing to work for it, and that's who that ad is for. I don't break down in tears every time I see an ad for an expensive sports car that I can't afford because it gives an unrealistic portrayal of wealth or whatever.