Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
I get it, "-ism" usually denotes an ideological affiliation, which being transgender is clearly not an ideology. It's also clearly not a choice, as participating in any ideology, for the most part, is.

That being said, I had never heard of the word "transgenderism" before this morning, in this thread. I'm sorry it's something that hurts y'all. At least now I'll never use it, even accidentally.

The real thought experiment would be turning off your computer and sitting quietly for a few minutes, and then comparing the number of opinions changed while doing that vs. posting in this thread, in which "-ism" stands more for Idiots on Social Media.

Usually I lurk my way through the trans dust-ups in this thread, but there was something about this one that seemed unreasonably strident and off-topic. I also don't agree with the poster who kicked the whole thing off by entertaining the role of devil's advocate, but come on y'all. This quarantine has got us all wound up. I don't think anybody on these forums expects our trans posters to unwillingly or unwittingly be ambassadors and educators; that's a role you are equally welcome to play or not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Midnight Voyager posted:

It'd really suck if simply being trans and saying "hey, that's not cool to say" frequently ended with people expecting that person to educate them on the entire problem. I'm glad that's not something that people were literally asking for in this thread and that trans posters have been expected to do outside of quarantine.

That last comment was specifically in regards to a poster who said they are exhausted by being The Explainer. I'm also sorry that is frequently a social expectation that is experienced as a social responsibility, but... Guess what? You don't have to do that on these here forums. Hell, if you don't do it, it's possible, nay, even likely, that someone will step in and do it anyway.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

You do realize you just said "nobody" expects them to do that and then immediately admitted it's a frequent social expectation. Somebody does expect them to do that. Nobody HAS to do anything, but societal pressure exists and it sucks. It's like water torture.

I'm sorry, allow me to clarify what I mean: "Nobody" in this thread or on these forums expects any other poster to be an unwilling participant in this or any discussion. I can't hold a gun to your head and demand that you post for my edification.

My admittance that explaining the trans experience is a social expectation, out there in the world, beyond the SA forums, is me hearing you, even through your sarcasm, and trying to incorporate your lived experience into my response. Would you rather I have said "no, no, you're wrong, it's not a social expectation at all, I stand by my original point." Come on.

edit: my overarching point is that if posting screenshots of Twitter on a comedy forum prompts you to rip into an explanation of your identity in a way that is starting to feel like water torture, maybe take a break OR take relief in the fact that we don't need you to do that here in order to accept you :)

1000 umbrellas has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Mar 30, 2020

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

Nastyman posted:

I'd believe this argument if I also saw it in connection with literally anything else.

LOL Google "is Right to Work good"

edit:

LordSaturn posted:

"if we're upsetting you, you could just leave, honey :)" is a moderation standard with a very negative track record, if you hadn't noticed

Also not what I said, but if y'all wanna argue you can do it all day without me.