Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The thing about Canadian politeness is partly true. I've not seen other groups apologize for their foot being stepped on.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, that Canadian law specifically says that apologizing is not an admission of guilt, because we just do it way too much and it was messing up court cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Pussy rear end refugees, why don't they just suplex the terrorists, like I, a real Ametican, would

There are Americans that are medical refugees. People that moved to other countries with real healthcare systems. Since they have a pre-existing condition it's basically impossible for them to get insurance or afford their treatments back home. Returning them to the states would literally be a death sentence.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Thin Privilege posted:

Pfft they're not real Americans, a REAL American would tough out that "illness", or they'd fix it themselves

with a gun?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
"Each item is 300 pennies. The math is probably too hard for you but just trust me, you're getting a good deal.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Puppy Time posted:

I mean, it's a dumb name, but the bolded line below it explains they mean men who interrupt and then hijack the conversation to be about what they want.

It is an observable phenomenon. If you put a bunch of men in a group and have a person monopolize the conversation for a set amount of time, men on average will be far more accepting of another man than if a woman does the exact same thing. You can get a similar result with a group of white people and a talkative minority.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

kinmik posted:

Yes, how dare this racist bitch, one of the busiest people in the literal world this time of year, not take the time out of her paying hours to be a selfless, honorable, not-racist person like I.

Don't worry. they're all fictional characters.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
drat kids with their OoT. LttP was way better.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Takoluka posted:

OoT is overrated and hasn't aged well at all. MM is a better 3D Zelda, but all 3D Zeldas are pretty rough. (Though, I'd say WW is probably the best one if you take away how long sailing takes.)

LBW is the best 2D Zelda, followed by LA and then LttP.

I know this, because I'm on the internet and I'm right.

LttP was the first Zelda game I played and the only one I owned as a child. Therefore it is the best.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Picnic Princess posted:

How does one figuratively save a life?

"Hey man thanks for helping me study for that test, you really saved my life. If I came with with another F my parents would have figuratively killed me."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Fiend Computer posted:

You know I've never really got this connection because changing a tire is stupidly easy but it is apparently something manly.

I'm sure I could probably work it out, but how much does this even come up? I've been driving for almost 20 years and never had to worry about it.

I can't find it now, but I had a guy on my feed being all smug about millennials. "I bet if you put them in a library they couldn't even use the card catalog!"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

The Saddest Rhino posted:

speaking of "MILLENNIALS!!!" a friend just linked me to the most amazing/tryhard article about how terrible this generation is http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/01/08/boomers-millennials-workforce/#Ip29IWACltoXGkBz.99

the writer is also a TERF

quote:

Philly Mag’s November cover package highlighted the pretzels that local companies are twisting themselves into to attract and keep younger workers. Forget about a salary and some health insurance. Kids today want “hardwood floors, greenery and sunlight,” gourmet staff breakfasts, “nap rooms,” ping-pong tables, slides, rooftop lounges and beer on tap.
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/01/08/boomers-millennials-workforce/#EFPyBP2wJBZhBEhK.99

I don't know how this became a thing, but you'd have a lot of difficulty finding anyone willing to choose hardwood floors over a decent paycheque and some vacation days.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

The owner of a game store back near my college has joined in on the Powerball fun (not blacking out his name because this is obviously meant to be shared):

In the past, he's also stated his strong support for Donald Trump, complained about "bleeding heart liberals", and unironically used the phrase "All Lives Matter". I guess, if all else fails, it's free advertising.

Haha this is such a good idea to get some buzz for the price of a few tickets.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Intoluene posted:

And most tapwater is slightly basic due to the processes we use.

Anyway, content. This poo poo made it on my feed from Australia.

This is the "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!" of racism.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Bizarro "It's not cartoons, mom, it's anime!".

I can see this. I really like making a cool Halloween costume and wearing it around, but I would never tell people I'm into cosplay.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Is it still a cult following when you're talking about one of the most popular series written in the last 20 years?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsYk0cdqWnQ
I thought this was just a joke.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Madkal posted:

Not necessarily. It won't stop teenagers from doing stupid things because doing stupid things is what teenagers do. The problem is that when we were teenagers we did stupid poo poo that wasn't broadcast to the world, and now it is.
I am saying this in general and not really directed at those teenagers who did a very stupid thing. Teenagers will continue to do stupid things, and usually learn from their mistakes as a part of growing up and maturing. Having the whole world judge them isn't really going to make things better though.

20 years ago doing the exact same thing would have a teacher telling you to knock it off, and maybe a detention or something. Today everyone sees it and wants to start ruining lives.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Otana posted:

Reading the public posts on trending news topics can be great entertainment.

mmm yes I see go on

What did he do? Stick it to himself and rip it off?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

change my name posted:

Iowa caucuses, aka an annoying FB status bomb.

Holy poo poo! When will you guys hurry up and pick someone? It's been like a year and you still haven't even gotten through the pre-election bullshit. When do actually know who's president?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

chitoryu12 posted:

American presidential elections are actually held every 4 years in November. There's just a bunch of buildup as the two parties (and the tiny ones that nobody cares about because we're dominated by Democrats and Republicans and some independent or Green Party motherfucker is almost like a historical footnote) decide which candidate they're going to put up for the real election.

Are you loving making GBS threads me? There's going to be almost an another entire year of this?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Fashionable Jorts posted:

That's not anxiety. That's being a goddamn child. If you're that much of an emotional wreck all the time, maybe instead of getting your momgirlfriend to do everything for you, see a loving therapist and fill your body with drugs.

You know that anxiety isn't just feeling kind of worried right? It's an actual disorder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_anxiety_disorder

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Kiebland posted:

Pointing out the unoriginal joke every non-sports fan makes during the Super Bowl? A full-throttle attack on people alienated by sports.

Only because people take sports soooo seriously, and get annoyed if you don't watch it right or like the wrong team or something

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Birb Katter posted:

Black Panthers believe the White race must be wiped off the face of the earth. KKK just want to ensure that there is room on Gods green earth to allow the proud traditions of white people to live on.

I'm not super knowledgeable about the black panthers, but a lot of people seem to confuse stuff they did with stuff the FBI said they did.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Huntersoninski posted:

I figured parents were frustrated because it meant their kids are coming home with homework the parents don't know how to help them with. I can understand being less than enthusiastic about that, but to be honest I have no idea how difficult/simple it is to just learn so you can assist you kids.

It's basically this. If you already can do math a lot of the new stuff seems bizarre, or excessively complicated.

For example - the Make 10 method is something most of us just kind of pick up and start doing automatically when we add numbers in our heads. By teaching it to students and showing them WHY it works, they'll be much more prepared in a few years when math gets a lot more complicated. But parents see these crazy looking equations and ask why we don't just teach the normal math.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So many discussions about if it's aproprate to celebrate Scalia's death or not.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

JT Smiley posted:

It's been a rough couple of weeks for white people, luckily a few brave souls have spoken up against their persecution.

What did he do?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Karma Monkey posted:

Are "poo poo-poster" and "internet troll" appearance based? I tend to use those more. Neckbeard was cool, but it seems really dated now. And that's the only time "neckbeard" and "dated" can get used in a sentence together. :rimshot:

These are things that are used when you have never seen a person, so no.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Hidden anti-SJW in Hearthstone? Card name: Black Knight

So as you all know, Hearthstone is one of the most popular video games in the world atm, and as a medium can be considered mainstream because of it.

They have a card called The Black Knight in this game:

Now let me explain why this card is so anti-SJW. Not only is it called the black knight, but it's effect is to instantly kill a minion that protects others when it is played. These 'taunt' minions that protect others have a big shield around them to signify this. So basically he kills white knights.

Now of course there are numerous ways to think about this in another way, and because the game developer isn't stupid they would always support pro-left views in public. But I love how a little RP always leaks through.

Does robocop mean something bad now?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I just don't want voice acting. Link has a Canadian accent to me and I don't want that changed. Real talk though, it's more Nintendo and Voice acting don't mix (other M)

We all know what Link really sounds like.

Didn't remember him being this rapey though.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Picnic Princess posted:

If I drink water on an empty stomach I get crippling abdominal pain. WHAT NOW GRANDMA

Did you do it early in the morning?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Puppy Galaxy posted:

this guy isn't an idiot, he's just sharing a gift from a student, but it's amazing how far "keep calm carry on" has deviated from its original meaning. this version doesn't make any sense at all

This one was at my gym http://imgur.com/gallery/SgTv9fQ

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I too have read The Twits by Roald Dahl.

Even worse. It's copying a joke from the office that copied the Twits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcoIMyU9bE4

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

This is so poorly done that it must be on purpose. like some sort of performance art.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Graedyn posted:

Agreed. It's one of the things I missed the most when GBS went down the shitter. While momentous things were going on--like the uprising in Egypt and the Boston Marathon bombing--I got up-to-the-minute information, as well a boots-on-the-ground updates from goons, in GBS threads. People could generally contain themselves and not poo poo-post at least within the first few hours to show a modicum of respect for the gravity of the situation, before cutting loose and trying to out-crap each other. That's something that's sorely missing these days.

I was in Japan a few years back during the big earthquake, and GBS was somehow one of the best sources for fact checked up to date information. It was especially helpful that mods quickly said "this is a serious thread and making Hiroshima, Godzilla and Pokemon jokes will get you banned"

It was a nice place to get a pretty balanced look at the Occupy movement, without wading through insane twitter feeds or clueless mainstream media stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Puseklepp posted:

Wow had to reread a few times cause I was sure I was missing something. But nope. Straight up rape. hosed up.

It's not rape, it's just looks like that because of the implication.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyvz_g5bnFc