Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Definitely pressure test it after whatever you do to the tank. You don't want the thing spontaneously combusting because of some pinhole leak after all that work!

Love this thread btw, keep up the excellent work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mouser.com is an excellent resource anything and everything connector related, especially data sheets.
Also whatever connectors you end up going with, make sure they use a standard, easily procurable pin insertion/extraction tool. Not that you'll be de-pinning your connectors a lot, but at least if it uses a standard plastic red/white, you can buy a few dozen and keep them handy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Commodore_64 posted:

I've used a lot of bayonet style MIL-DTL-26482, Series 2 Connectors on various projects and have not found them lacking. 500 hours salt spray mated is nothing to sneer at! Offers good vibe resistance to 20G random.
SPECS http://www.peigenesis.com/images/content/pei_tabs/amphenol/mb-series/new-thumbs/tech-specs1.pdf
DATASHEEET http://www.peigenesis.com/images/content/pei_tabs/amphenol/mb-series/new-thumbs/169-180_mb_series.pdf

Check out some of the larger shell sizes for multiple contact sizes in one package. Most notably the 22-95S with 26 #20 20-24 gauge pins and 6 #12 12-14 gauge pins

Otherwise the the 38999 offers many series and flavors. The -TV has a TON of small contacts, and a tristart thread instead of a bayonet. They take up to 50G rms random vibe. Also, hardcore shielding. Prepare your wallet, though. Less dense ones with similar performance can be found in the Series III DEUTSCH DTS connectors.
TV http://www.peigenesis.com/images/content/pei_tabs/amphenol/tv-series/new-thumbs/221-244-tv-ctv_seriesiii.pdf
DTS http://www.peigenesis.com/images/content/pei_tabs/deutsch/38999-series-iii-metal/new-thumbs/61-74_dts_38999_seriesiii.pdf

Lots of interesting contact combos in there, too. You can even get QUADRAX contacts for passing through twisted pairs. I once got the pleasure of speccing one to carry multiple ethernet connections.

Edit: If you don't have a crimper available, try https://store.crimptools.com/26-daniels-crimping-tools- for some good used or NOS ones, they check them out to make sure they aren't cooched, EBAY ones are usually a mystery.

Hey just clicked your links, those data sheets are ace! That's a handy site, will keep it in mind for when I need to cross reference some poo poo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Thanks for the resources guys! I'm spending the next few hours sorting through the old Swift harness and my new universal harness to try and figure out exactly how many and of what gauge wires I need to pass through the firewall. Started with this mess and spend a good half hour trying to untangle it before realizing I was going to start from scratch anyway

Into the trash goes most of the wiring

What's left are all of the main body harness connectors, coil, and noise suppressor. I have the Swift wiring diagram in front of me so I'll be pairing this down to only the bare essentials and then starting over with the new harness. I think there are still a bunch of useless marker light and other accessory plugs in this pile I need to weed out first

Throw in my new harness pieces and it looks slightly intimidating, more so when I remembered that the engine harness is still attached to the engine downstairs.

Time to get cozy :science:

Oh god I'm a mechanical engineer, electrons are magic and I hate everything about this :shepicide:

Time to get your cone on and your coloured markers and highlighters out!
Wait... You do have coloured markers and highlighters, right?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MonkeyNutZ posted:

The car is completely skirted at the rockers and all the way around to keep overspray from blowing up under the car and coating the suspension

It looks like the car got colonized by a billion tent caterpillars.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Mad with the power of the bending brake I also made this cover for the distributor poking through the firewall, it'll get seamlessly welded in once I drop the engine for the 30th time. It's pretty tight to the plug wires but the motor mounts are nearly solid so they shouldn't be going anywhere.

I know you're an engineer, so you won't have thought of this, but I'd like to take this opportunity to pass on some advice and wisdom from the maintenance world: access panel. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Paying someone to refurbish the seats just didn't feel right, glad I did them myself and that everyone likes them as much as I do!

These are the spring clips in question, you stab holes in the upholstery and push the clips into holes in the seat frame tubes:

I can't find anything similar other than plastic door trim push pin retainers which I absolutely hate using. Unless someone here knows a better way to search for oddball 50 year old seat upholstery fasteners I'm debating just tapping each of the holes and using screws and nylon washers.

Words of wisdom for anyone thinking about doing their own upholstery; buy the best hog ring pliers you can. My hands ended up bruised and my forearms were impossibly sore for most of the week following the installation of those covers with 100+ hog rings.

How many of them do you need? Seems like something you could rig a up a small jig made from nails in a board and bend some spring wire around.

E- like this, only manually.
https://i.imgur.com/JOxc3xy.gifv
Shouldn't be to bad if you only need like half a dozen.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 15, 2018