Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Next up: Things are about to get... weird:

If by weird you mean loving awesome, then yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

An accurate and honest 70hp engine would, at worst, be a side-step from the generous SAE Gross rating on the original Opel 1.9.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Suzopel makes me very happy. Awesome that it fits so well too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I'm starting to think there was a time traveling sleeper agent engineer from Suzuki who put this all in motion at Opel in the early '60s.
:godwinning::japan:

This is the best kind of madness.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MonkeyNutZ posted:

To test of the ergonomics with the new shifter location I threw some key components back into the car temporarily. The fairly long Samurai shifter combined with the shift tower ending up a few inches further forward than the Opel setup puts everything in just the right spot. With the rebuilt transmission and new shifter components this thing feels dead precise despite being designed for a tiny little 4x4.

I feel like it's a trick of perspective, but part of me sees that and wants to cut / shorten / angle the shifter down so that it's a bit further forward and much lower in the car. Kind of the opposite of a Cobra shifter:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DrakeriderCa posted:

I can't recall if this was covered, but how stiff are the GT bodies?

Somewhere between "high schooler jizz sock" and "wet noodle", depending on how rotten it is. They were not particularly substantial when they were first stamped and welded 42+ years ago.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CBJamo posted:

Great thread, this was the first time I'd ever heard of the opel gt, neat looking little car.

Also, this.

Yessss. At one point a looooong time ago I dropped a short GT video in the comments on one of his headlights-go-up headlights-go-up videos.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doubleposting now that I've had time to watch the video. He loving nails it (at least after the first two minutes) as usual, especially the "appeals to an older generation".

Opel GT: The official car of getting told "HEY I KNEW SOMEONE WHO HAD THAT" by a baby boomer every time you get gas.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is goddamn beautiful.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Channeling your inner kevbarlas, nice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wonder, are any Fumotos available in NPT? Might make a good replacement for the coolant bleed in the WJ.

Edit: yep, at least one in 3/8 NPT. Emailed Fumoto to see if they support the valve dealing with cooling pressures and chemicals.

Awesome work on the Opel.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 15, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doesn't the transverse leaf act a bit like an ARB anyway? I thought that was one of the reasons the Corvette sticks with it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kaptainballistik posted:

For the cost, A radiator shop boil out is a no brainer.

Agreed - if you're going to all this work already, I'd at least call around and see what that will cost you versus trying to DIY it.

Also, that hydramat seems like some black magic poo poo. I've never had any fueling issues with my setup but I also never run the tank all that low (and it's a tall tank).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Detail all the things!

Seriously, :justpost:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dodge didn't even put that much effort into painting that car when it was new.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Harsh but true.

Is that little half-shroud thing all you get for a factory radiator shroud on the Ferd? It looks like a lot of it is missing, and that won't help your cooling at all either.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Those gauges. :iamafag:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Those seats look awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Accidentally

:getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy poo poo at both the post and this emote.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That video is awesome, and I really think you're onto something with that engine being an ideal donor for the Opel.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That looks like so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I started working on my C10 20 years ago now, probably down to the month or close to it.

Projects are never done.