Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
What happened round 1 can only really happen so many times. It's a risk to have the four of us in the finals because you don't know what we got. If we get a lucky steal and got a high brick this round, it could end the game. Even if a couple of other rounds happen where other people get to the end and do the same thing we did, then that only extends the game 1-2 cycles. It's not going to be too big of a problem going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

JakeP posted:

I mean at this point this isnt the game that I signed up to play, and this house rule makes the game more frustrating than fun

that's totally fair and i probably shouldn't have made the call mid-game. i was planning to run several of these if possible so I was curious about how that variant would affect the game and if it would be a worthwhile change. it's good to know that you don't think it works, i'm inclined to agree.

anyone who wants to drop out is welcome to, i'm not going to force anyone to play.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
The fact of the matter is you 4 should have been forced to conspire against each other last round and incite distrust in each other, and being allowed to team up and split the bricks takes this aspect away and makes it far easier for you all to work together this round, and future rounds.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Except that JJ could have totally betrayed them, so there's still that element

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

JakeP posted:

The fact of the matter is you 4 should have been forced to conspire against each other last round and incite distrust in each other, and being allowed to team up and split the bricks takes this aspect away and makes it far easier for you all to work together this round, and future rounds.

Yeah I kind of agree with jake, and that isn't just because I, the person most deserving, didn't get a brick.

I don't think there is any point in retconning things at this point and it didn't "break" the game or anything, just shifts it to something different than was originally intended.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Opopanax posted:

Except that at this point in the game it is very against his best interest to do so. This strategy lets a group of players get a headstart before they ever need to work against each other.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Opopanax posted:

He could have, but since he couldn't win in one round he would obviously be completely ostracized, although I suppose it isn't all THAT different from being the guy who won all the bricks in a round "honourably" and still only needed one more win in a round to get to victory.

It definitely dampens the excitement of the final two part though.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

People who send people PMs should make sure their inboxes aren't full, just saying!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
That reminds me to empty mine, it was getting full.

I still had Role PMs from the last 4 games I modded.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Deleting PMs via the Awful App sure is... something awful.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
yeah brick trading totally defeats the purpose of the whole game and now we're just playing a slightly different version of survivor.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
No one trade bricks anymore

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I can promise you, as the most honorable man on Something Awful, that I will not trade any bricks with anyone.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
As someone who directly benefited from the trade rule, I don't like it either. It is a different game and I would not be against removing it going forward, rolling back to our top 4 with no bricks, or starting over completely. It made the game 10x easier for this round, which is against the intended nature of the game.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
It's also worth noting that brick trading introduces an element of "well I don't want that rear end in a top hat to win!" so some people pile all their bricks onto someone else for an immediate win, which is playing against your own interests and also against the intended game.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I won't be opposed if the rule gets changed moved forward, but I think that a retroactive change is too much at this point. The wave form has collapsed, we cannot recreate those pre-existing conditions due to our knowledge of how things proceeded. I also would be alright with the rule remaining intact, but if I'm in the minority, that's fine by me.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

I won't be opposed if the rule gets changed moved forward, but I think that a retroactive change is too much at this point. The wave form has collapsed, we cannot recreate those pre-existing conditions due to our knowledge of how things proceeded. I also would be alright with the rule remaining intact, but if I'm in the minority, that's fine by me.

Well, really, the wave-form collapsed only due to the rule, though. Who is to say how it would have collapsed differently without the rule?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

jon joe posted:

Well, really, the wave-form collapsed only due to the rule, though. Who is to say how it would have collapsed differently without the rule?

It is literally impossible to tell at this point. Chaos reigns.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Meinberg posted:

It is literally impossible to tell at this point. Chaos reigns.

Give me all the bricks for safekeeping, I won't use them

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey here's an idea. Want to restart the game?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

Hey here's an idea. Want to restart the game?

I'd be down to clown, and I'm the person who'd suffer most from that, I think!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the tontine

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yes, let us unring this bell.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Okay that happens. Game over, new game starts, no trading. Anyone who wants to drop, no hard feelings.

Sorry thanks for your patience as we explore this together. Op will be updated later today.

New game posts only beneath this line

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Hello friends welcome to game

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
So, anyone know how to play this game? The rules kinda confuse me. Can you clarify literally every single rule, Somber? No less than four paragraphs per line of rules, preferably.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Sorry that this turned our sloppy somber. :sympathy:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i quit i die you killed me i'm dead

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Sorry that this turned our sloppy somber. :sympathy:

It's entirely my fault so I don't think anyone needs to apologize to me, but thank you.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Eh you know what I'mma drop too, I should probably focus on thing that aren't this game.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Yea I'm dropping as well. Zero hard feeling Somber; and also fwiw I hope irl stuff is going as OK as it can for you right now.

I look forward to playing more games with all yall again and will be rooting from the sidelines.

Thanks for hosting, Somber.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
well i still want to play. this seems like a good idea and that it will work well as a forums game and i would like to see how it turns out once several people have points and the real scheming begins. i hope some people stay in! and i bet more would want to play.

dont give up somber!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Probably best to wait 2 weeks and try again

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:munch: I don't understand what the issue was? If you don't like how a minority of people are approaching the game, you get to vote them out. :munch:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

:munch: I don't understand what the issue was? If you don't like how a minority of people are approaching the game, you get to vote them out. :munch:

the issue is the rules were changed and that changed the game into somethign that a lot of people didnt want to play anymore. so then the game was started over, and now people are quitting.

dont quit everyone it will be fun!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Yeah don't quit guys, you can totally get together and vote me out again!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

My hearts out of it right now, maybe I'll feel more into it later but there's more important things I should be doing right now

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
As long as six people are in we'll continue, if not I'll reopen and rerecruit.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

jake, I still can't believe our plan to trick everyone into starting over actually worked. I knew if we worked together we could do it!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I'm in forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
So far I have Kash, Hal, Uranus, maybe meinberg and Asiina? Up to Jake or Opop then.

• Locked thread