Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
in my experience, rewriting game rules massively like this always goes really well and the game has a long lifespan because of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.
As much as I agree that they're not really doing themselves any favours by constantly changing the game, there is SOMETHING that has to be done to it in order to save it. Good luck trying to help on the forums though. Speaking of which I'm up for some poo poo posting sprees if anyone's still around.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

forge posted:

So I don't know really. It's probably going to be a train wreck, but what type or how bad is unknown imo.

See son, the thing about train wrecks?

You wanna be observing it. :munch:

Not purchase the ticket to board your final destination.

Blazing Zero posted:

in my experience, rewriting game rules massively like this always goes really well and the game has a long lifespan because of it

That's what Peter Molyneux tried to do too :v:

Mr. Torrance
Sep 16, 2006
Have you ever thought about MY RESPONSIBILITIES?
I stopped playing this game before I ever found out if they removed the "anti-zerg mechanic" of using aoe meteors to instantly kill a group of 30 people.

Have they?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Albion Online - It's Probably Going to be a Train Wreck

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

CubicalSucrose posted:

Albion Online - It's Probably Going to be a Train Wreck

It'll hopefully be fun again while it crashes in the beginning though

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Mr. Torrance posted:

I stopped playing this game before I ever found out if they removed the "anti-zerg mechanic" of using aoe meteors to instantly kill a group of 30 people.

Have they?

Yeah in the big zerg fights it's pretty rare to see anyone die to AoE. Meteor definitely took a big nerf.

Though I still maintain that goons are a bunch of loving crybabies and it's not like we couldn't use the same poo poo everyone else did.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Suxpool posted:

Yeah in the big zerg fights it's pretty rare to see anyone die to AoE. Meteor definitely took a big nerf.

Though I still maintain that goons are a bunch of loving crybabies and it's not like we couldn't use the same poo poo everyone else did.
So I have to grind from 0 again? gently caress it.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Albion Online - so I have to train wreck from 0 again? gently caress it

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Albion Online - so I have to Albion Online from 0 again? gently caress it

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 10, 2016

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Pretty sure the comic embodies an organized goon keep raid

Emrys42
Nov 1, 2009
Is there any activity in the guild with the wipe a week away? If so I'd like to join.
In game name Zeitgeister

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Emrys42 posted:

Is there any activity in the guild with the wipe a week away? If so I'd like to join.
In game name Zeitgeister

Goon guild has been dead since like February I think.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
*reads thread*

Oh hell yeah sounds good. Sign me up.

Emrys42
Nov 1, 2009

Suxpool posted:

Goon guild has been dead since like February I think.

I there another guild most of us have moved to?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Emrys42 posted:

I there another guild most of us have moved to?

Yes but it's in a different game.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Holyshoot posted:

Yes but it's in a different game.

Aye; Team Mystic.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Emrys42 posted:

In game name Zeitgeister

When the wipe happens, I'll probably join in the fun that is the first few weeks as others have said they'd probably do too, but as for running a guild I have no idea

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Alnotbion online

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
The 3 goons who will play after the wipe may or may not make a goon guild either way a goon guild will be terrible as goons are terrible at this game.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Usenet Magic-User posted:

goons are terrible

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ok I gotta admit I roll my eyes every time I get another Albion email, but the new crime system sounds ok and the new biomes and resource mobs also sound neat...

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

The 3 goons who will play after the wipe may or may not make a goon guild either way a goon guild will be terrible as goons are terrible at this game.

Goons are terrible at every game. The success or failure of any goon guild is always dependent on whether or not people step up to lead. I thought the worst thing at the beginning of this beta was the lack of regular guild activities. Half the time when there was something going on, as soon as we wiped (as we almost always do), whoever was running poo poo would ragequit and the group would dissolve.

GvG is an exclusionary aspect of this stupid loving game too. The top 5-8 dudes in our guild and every other guild in the game are aaaaaaaaalways getting ready for another loving match when they're the dudes who need to be stepping up and leading groups and helping the newbs learn the ropes so they have enough fun to maybe keep playing this piece of poo poo.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Or in this case the top 5-8 dudes did lead roams everyday. Then when there were only 5 people left went and did gvg.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Just curious, since the the thread seems so negative: what's that bad about the game?

I was pretty interested in it earlier, but never enough to splurge for a beta. Does it look like the final release might be worth trying, or is it just a garbage fire? If so, in what ways?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dropbear posted:

Just curious, since the the thread seems so negative: what's that bad about the game?

I was pretty interested in it earlier, but never enough to splurge for a beta. Does it look like the final release might be worth trying, or is it just a garbage fire? If so, in what ways?

The gear grind is a brick wall of having to do raids to keep up in gear or go to the end of a solo dungeon and just camp the end boss and basically cheese stuff.

To make the gear you need high end mats that are in controlled territory that you can only send 5 people into so you end up playing DotA to keep everything and since you can re-gear during the fight it turns into a massive guild logistical thing to put all your faith into 5 people who now have a ton of pressure on them and can't even have fun because they have 50 people mad at them if they lose.

If you live out of a town you pay high taxes and have problems obtaining mats.

Or that was the problem as they appeared about a month after the last reset. I think they've done some more changes but every reset it always seems to boil down to that.

tldr: they have a really good early game that lasts about 2 weeks, they don't have a solid design goal for where to go after that and while trying to please everyone please no one.

Suggestions are seen as hostile and get you banned from the forums which is where a bunch of hate comes from.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
The grind was fixed as far as being able to grind to get better gear. Then you need critical mass of people to control a area.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

forge posted:

The grind was fixed as far as being able to grind to get better gear. Then you need critical mass of people to control a area.

to add: they also added seperate not-dota controlled areas where you participate in some uo style murder system or something. maybe someone else could c/p the email about it idk

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Dropbear posted:

Huge parts of the game have been reworked over and over, and the worst/most bizarre iterations were so bad and insulting that they were basically unforgivable. Fixes were too little too late for people who had to suffer through poo poo like setting alarm clocks to get up in the middle of the night to deliver carrots to our territory before a preposterous food gauge depleted. So most of the negativity in the thread is really an accumulation of drama and well-earned developer mistrust throughout all of the betas rather than a temperature check of the current state of the game.

If you like full loot PVP, then the game is definitely worth checking out even if you just end up roaming around and killing people for a couple of weeks. Anything beyond that is a mystery because of how often mechanics are completely reworked.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Dropbear posted:

Game's fun and for all the bitching in this thread we're all gonna play it anyway. Get in on the final beta and you're guaranteed to get more than 30$ worth of fun out of it.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I don't see why everyone is getting hyped for the final beta, why not wait for release so your poo poo may actually matter a tiny little bit?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BadLlama posted:

I don't see why everyone is getting hyped for the final beta, why not wait for release so your poo poo may actually matter a tiny little bit?

Because nothing matters in this game shortly after release. It has a really good early game and that's it. Going to hit some rocks make some stuff kill people for better stuff then quit.

also every beta is "final beta" wouldn't be shocked if the they gently caress up mid/late game again and do yet another one.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

BadLlama posted:

Because I don't want to wait until 2032 to play this game. I want to play it next fresh wipe.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Fair enough, will we get a bunch of LP at start so we can just spend all that out the gates so you can kill mans immediately?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Finally gonna wipe in august?

Should I really care?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Dropbear posted:

What was said also the gear grind was actually just impossible. To tech up or whatever you wanted to call it you needed things that only spawned in two places int he world (t7 mobs). This resulted in one of 3 things, you bringing 50 dudes and getting some exp, but do this all day everyday, or sometimes losing 50 dudes, or showing up and the spawns cleared and the group that cleared it is timing it for its respawn.

Basically no life couldn't begin to describe the grind. Also in order to do those 'fun' thing, you had to be in a huge guild. Everyone that plays this game just says racist poo poo all day or screams super loud into team speak, so thats fun too.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

ThndrShk2k posted:

Finally gonna wipe in august?

Should I really care?

Only if you want to have the best week and a half of gaming for the rest of the year during august.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Everyone that plays this game just says racist poo poo all day or screams super loud into team speak, so thats fun too.

At the very least every "competitive" guild I joined after ours died was full of hot shots who talked like stereotypical FPS teenagers non-stop. I'm the least mature dude I know, and Albion's community is intolerably annoying.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Basically no life couldn't begin to describe the grind. Also in order to do those 'fun' thing, you had to be in a huge guild. Everyone that plays this game just says racist poo poo all day or screams super loud into team speak, so thats fun too.

That's a shame; with the exception of 1-2 folks, goon mumble was actually pretty chill. Honestly, the only thing I miss about AO is that all of the cool goons seemed to play (at least for a bit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

i watched the crime system video and read some of the other changes. its interesting and not good. the whole crime system can be exploited by recycling T4 alts who go slightly blue and gank solos wearing good gear for silver

basically the same way suicide ganking is done in eve but with the bonus of deleting chars with bad rep (against tos to do that in eve)

• Locked thread