Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
In on the ground floor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I've been invited to play board games with some coworkers and interns tonight at my Moonie coworkers cult compound home.

No alcohol allowed.

I'm bringing two flasks.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

why are you even considering attendance

Look, there are only so many people in this world who will play Mansions of Madness with me and it seems at least one of them teetotalling cult member.

Also a bunch of other friends who I don't really get to see very often are also going so it's worth it.

Plus it seems more like a "house" rule than his personal rule. It's not actually his house.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Just don't go to reddit for a few days.

Trust me on this.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I know most of this is fog of war but there is just so much going on in Paris right now. I can't even process this. Worst case scenario is a literal, organized, targeted assault on the French capital.

If this turns out to be a real military assault on France by ISIS/ISIL then I don't even want to think about the military response that will be coming to the middle east.

This could have massive repercussions on the world stage.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Yeah that's a real post.

There's reportedly 60 hostages being held.

This kind of thing can have a big effect.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

France is already bombing ISIS though?

And the conservative wing will start calling for more.

Hell, our conservatives will be calling for more.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

sparatuvs posted:

A user on /pol/ is a first responder in paris

:nms: :nsfw:
http://i.4cdn.org/pol/1447452144683.jpg

Well that's just unneeded.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

fits my needs posted:

What is the D&D justification and defense of the France terrorist attacks?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So I'm in a professional dilemma.

Do I:

A) Get an new job completely outside of my skill set and industry, but make literally anywhere between 100% -300% more money than I currently do.

or

B) Put that on hold for a year, or more, and get to go to Antarctica.

I actually can't decide on what to do. I really do need to start making more money, I'm living on what I have now alright but I'm basically stagnant. On the other hand; You can't just go to Antarctica. It's an actual once in a lifetime opportunity. But at the same time a lot can happen in a year and even though I'm good for the clearance on the medical and mental tests the political climate is pure poo poo. If a republican gets into office or the HFC decide yet again to shut down the government in November then the whole Antarctic season is shot and I've wasted a year for nothing. They've already done this once since I've worked here.

I think I need to find a career counselor or something.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

fishmech posted:

Go to antarctica. And here's what you should do before you get there: pirate all the latest movies and TV shows and bring a bunch of USB drives to distribute them to people on. They'll love you for it.

They have internet in Antarctica. But I get your point.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

fishmech posted:

It's slow as poo poo internet and as such people have a hard time gettin' what they want, at least without waiting a long time. Plus a lot of the internet connectivity is reserved for the serious science stuff.

It's actually 20Mb/s, but yeah it's poo poo on the consumer general use side because 99% of the bandwidth is reserved for science stuff.

Crain fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 23, 2015

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

site posted:

To Crain: if you do decide to go to Antarctica, do what fish says and pirate as much of the internet as physically possible. You will go insane if you don't; especially if you end up living with people you don't get along with.

Yeah, if I do take up the offer I'm going to have to get a ton of stuff. Coworkers who have gone down in past years seem to end up taking a month off work to try and decompress. Also my (now former) lab manager had a habit of literally spending weeks going to the movies, live shows, watching TV when he got back. He would suck up media like a man rescued from the desert could suck up water.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

choose penguins

I've been told that the rules surrounding penguin encounters are rather strict for people in Antarctica.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

crain probably doesn't have a six universities' worth of debt to pay off

I actually have no college debt, which is why I'm able to stay afloat on what I make.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

well I guess you just have to lead some kind of revolution then.

Ok, new plan:

Bring a 3D printer.

Print gun.

Realize you don't have any ammo.

Wait...hold on this was supposed to go someplace.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Status update.

Stage 5 kidney failure, 190 bp
Pumped full of steroids
Losing all protein despite being pretty muscular
Blood full of toxins from bad filtered blood
Should be throwing up, not cognizant but he's felt fine and has been talking to a room full of visitors all day

Doctors dunno what the fuq

He may have evolved beyond the need for kidneys

I'm so sorry man. Hope your friend ends up ok.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

minecraft question: whats the point?

If you don't understand/enjoy Minecraft then CONGRATULATIONS! You're not autistic.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Or a child

Kids really love Minecraft

Children are basically autistic. They just grow out of it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

A Man and his dog posted:

The Redskins got loving screwed yesterday.

How did you convince the Redskins to go to the bar with you?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I just checked an email account I never actually use and found out I have an OK Cupid account I forgot about.

It's kinda funny how as time went of, and I never responded to anything, the algorithm got less and less picky.

Like the early updates are all like 90% match, 4% enemy. and the newer ones are 56% match, 200% WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT!?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I own a really nice Bible with a ton of academic apparatus and footnotes and I've considered reading the whole thing, but :effort:

I should dust off my okcupid account but, alas, :effort:

All the bibles I've owned have been those New Young International Fun and Colorful Editions that Catholic schools make you buy for religion class. They remove the fun passages like Ezekiel 23:20.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

visceril posted:

I'm annoyed with Judaism being overly legalistic.

I feel like we're spending more time coming up with clever ways to technically comply with the he various rules while still getting to do what we want instead of absorbing the core message or actually following the spirit of the rules.

Welp I bought my own 3d printer. Happy early birthday/Christmas to me!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Aeryk posted:

Gonna make that gun?

What gun?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

kalstrams posted:

there's this ?fully? 3d-printable liberator thing that d.c. went nuts over some, iirc, 2 years ago

Oh that one. No that things loving stupid.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

^^No I made that joke. I was just wondering which gun you meant. Libertarian morons have made a ton of "3d printed" guns^^

The people who try to make 3d printed "guns" are a great example of having the wrong priorities.

They always want to make full guns, or focus on rifles, or just try to focus on reproducing the exact same designs that are used in full metal parts.

Like don't make an AR-15 lower and also make it look like a standard lower. Of course it's going to be terrible. The plastic isn't meant to work that way.

But you can totally make a functional lower with purely 3d printed parts, just have to design it differently.

Same with the pistol designs. Don't 3d print the loving barrel you morons, just buy a barrel online and build a frame around it instead of shoving a cartridge into a fat, plastic donut and having the bullet tumble all over the place.

Or hell, at least reinforce the parts. Print it hollow, with sparse infill and then fill the thing with a structural epoxy. That'd work just fine.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought someone ran the numbers on a 3D printed gun and it would be extraordinarily expensive and shatter after one shot

Pretty sure that was because they decided to source a super expensive industrial model and then used it in the dumbest way possible.

Also decided to 3d print the barrel, which is loving stupid.

So yeah the total price for the gun ended up being "Cost of printer" + "Cost of proprietary materials" + "additional hardware" = Good Job Rand-tards.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

kalstrams posted:

dare i ask for a brief summary of this foray

"Is fat bad?"

"Yes"

[person get's mad]

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Just a reminder that if you let your cat roam outdoors you both deserve to be shot.

My aunt's cat only comes indoors when it rains/when he's fed.

Or to just chill at the end of the day sometimes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Should I go to bed? I think I'm gonna go to bed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

should i post one punch man gifs. i feel like that would improve the thread quality.

sure why not.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Literally no reason for me to be at work today/tomorrow.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Gonna get sushi for lunch.

Maybe.

Prolly just gonna hit up the food court at the Student Union.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

gomna get fresh sushi for lunch.

maybe in north dakota!

its walleye and perch.

turtle sashimi is tasty.

Yo that's not a haiku.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I've done nothing all day.

Nothing.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Correction: I have gotten coffee and a muffin.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Aeryk posted:

stare at the interns to make them uncomfortable. but like not in a creepy way

No interns today. They all have midterms or are flying off to wherever they live for the break.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's like why 110% instead of 125% or 101%

It's a nice, round, number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

what's chinas video game industry like

My Imaginary GF posted:

A surprisingly lot like America's

by which I mean rampant plagiarism of American code.

kalstrams posted:

emphasis on f2p online games with content exclusive to the chinese
hard to say more unless you specify the question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUIbOWcvBBg

• Locked thread