Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I don't think this thread will stay alive very long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

eating an aloo paratha. pretty good for frozen food but nothing compared to a fresh one

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

no, it's a made-in-India brand

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

my eu4 books won't balance. life ruined

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

how

are you playing like an impoverished steppe khanate or something

I'm playing ayutthaya with pretensions at being a world power. lovely provinces and tech

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ayutthaya is ridiculously wealthy though unless they nerfed the Bukkhara trade node (you did conquer Bukkhara right)

Last time I played them I started the Southeast Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere and had a worldwide monopoly on chili peppers

I was using the Malacca node, I assume that's what you mean? I'm doing ok in trade but I just can't keep up a colonial empire and a fearsome army in addition to all my inflation and loans

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah Malacca. you need to conquer as much of the island chain as you can before expanding outward to lock up all the cash from gold and spices. What are you trying to colonize from Thailand?

I westernized via Africa -> Brazil, now I have colonies in Colombia, Mexico, Louisiana, Eastern US, and California too. Honestly I'm doing pretty well it's just that my finances have been stretched by inflation and loans

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh I never tried to expand the Thai empire that much, I was content hoovering up the remains of Ming China, colonizing the Pacific, and conquering India

I kind of colonize reflexively at this point, it's not that important but it can come in useful and I like seeing the map get painted

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I ordered a pretty d&d board game. It's called Cuba Libre and it's a 4-player wargame about Castro's insurgency. I bet I end up playing it alone a lot

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I have Twilight Struggle already, it's a really good design. I've been interested in the COIN games too, for their diplomacy and cool settings.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Alligator Horse posted:

I have friends who are super into board games and do the whole WBC thing but I don't live near enough to them to do the monthly get-togethers. It's a bummer. All I've got at my house is Smash Up.

I can get people to play fare like Puerto Rico, but a 3+ hour wargame is a hard sell around here.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

watch a most violent year

is it pretty violent?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I tried a Bush-Powell ticket and went mostly moderate, but I couldn't make Florida or Pennsylvania like me and lost. Vindication for arch-conservatives everywhere.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

what's with caring about UFC fights

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

At what point do terrorist attacks become commonplace enough that we stop giving a gently caress, like how we don't give a gently caress about car accidents or school shootings?

Judging by the example of Iraq in 2005 or so, it doesn't take too many before it's just background noise.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

well of course evilweasel thinks that meatless days at the cafeteria means jackbooted thugs stuffing tofu down our throats

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

pretty quick on the trigger there exclamation marx!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

so what's the deal with Myanmar/Burma these days? Is the military actually going to step aside as promised? There's also a zillion insurgent groups fighting civil wars, which hopefully a new administration could deal with in a non-awful way

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

kustomkarkommando posted:

Don't the military have a reserved share of like 25% seats in parliament? I don't know much about Burma but it seems the NLD seem to be deliberately playing it very safe in regards to keeping within the bounds set by the military which is probably smart enough.

Yeah, from my understanding the NLD has switched to mainly cooperating with the military, which seems pragmatic under the circumstances. It does look like they have a commanding majority, at least on paper:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is Fallout 4 like Fallout 3 (a bad game for dorks)?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Aeryk posted:

Do you enjoy shooting raiders? If so fallout 4 is for you.

I enjoyed New Vegas because the designers remembered to put in stuff like "coherent themes" and "visual design"

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

what's the current Smart Person consensus on whether al Baghdadi actually exists/is alive

I'm sure Brown Moses will clear it all up soon

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

How can you rewatch any of the prequels, they were so painful to sit through

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

i remember thinking 3 was awful but i'm pretty sure i liked 2

All I remember is wooden characters, a really really stupid plot, and endless CGI abortions where you couldn't tell what was going on, if you cared in the first place. It probably had some decent moments but they were spectacularly awful in my memory.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

as a kid i liked the lightsaber fights in the prequels

aka the only reason for Darth Maul to exist. i swear Lucas finished the script for ep I, then was like "oh poo poo we need jedi fights" and boom, the devil guy with no backstory was born

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Exclamation Marx posted:

i like 6 of the star wars films

I feel that Clone Wars was the zenith of the franchise

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I remember my 9/11 pretty well (I was a high school senior) and I'm confident no one learned anything from the experience, it was just a massive shared freakout

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I wonder if Saddam or his sons could have held onto power after the Arab Spring? Hard to see how things could have turned out worse though

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jagchosis posted:

counterfactuals are hard but the iraq war was prolly a proximate cause of the arab spring

Yeah, fair enough. But man, things would have been different if not for wacky antics in Florida 2000

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What is a concession on Assad? Like, Russia leans on him and then he's like "ok go get ISIS"?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rollofthedice posted:

and just as i post that my cat decides to get on my desk again

help! my cat's staging a sit-in! and i don't even know why!!

I was freaking out a little this morning when my cat was MIA and didn't come back when I called him from the yard. He made it back before I left for campus though, and he got MASSIVE CUDDLE time.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

here's my cat, because pictures of other people's pets are automatically fascinating

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Comic books are a poor investment. Buy board games

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

First world problems: my family wants to give me stuff for christmas but I already have more stuff than I want or need

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

do DaDs have any favorite board games? I was thinking of getting Race for the Galaxy. I really like noted slavery game Puerto Rico and the nuclear holocaust sim Twilight Struggle!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

oh and is loving WWIII starting or what!!!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My understanding is that Settlers was one of the first "actually good" games but it's kind of been superseded? I never tried it

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride are two more easy to pick up, hard to master games. Good for newbies.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dreylad posted:

it's like more fun risk because the board is cleared every few rounds.

pro-tier board games are like codewords, BSG, galaxy trucker, dominion

I believe you will find the pro-est games are wargames featuring weird conflicts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

gently caress you for owning that when i can't

why is cuba libre so expensive

I P500'd it, it might get to me in March or so

• Locked thread