Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Are there reliable ways to get into each of the planes?
I'm thinking of a scenario where one player is dominating the game and the last player has holed up in the underworld or something.

Void is easy enough. From there, if you're persistent enough you can get into elemental planes.
From earth plane you can get to agartha.

I heard there are sometimes cloud fortresses and sea castles or something that have planar connections, and in one game some weirdo opened a portal to hell that spewed demons all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Are there reliable ways to get into each of the planes?
I'm thinking of a scenario where one player is dominating the game and the last player has holed up in the underworld or something.

Void is easy enough. From there, if you're persistent enough you can get into elemental planes.
From earth plane you can get to agartha.

I heard there are sometimes cloud fortresses and sea castles or something that have planar connections, and in one game some weirdo opened a portal to hell that spewed demons all over.

If you have something that can dig or phase through ground you can easily get to both Agartha and Hell. Necromancers have a ritual to go to hades, and there are other ways.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Dominions has the dominion stat that lets you slowly conquer the map if you've got a good lead and someone is turtling.

I think it'd be neat if CoE had something comparable, maybe a set of ridiculous endgame rituals that can be cast by weird mages that only pop up after a certain number of turns.

Stuff that lets you boil off the entire ocean, sever connections to the elemental planes, hades and the underworld, rip agartha from the underbelly of the world and make the void eat itself.

Mechanically, it just permanently kills anything in those areas.

I suppose it'd be just as good to ensure that in a situation where someone is holed up in a weird plane, you'd eventually get guaranteed recruitment offers of mages who can give you access.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Dominions has the dominion stat that lets you slowly conquer the map if you've got a good lead and someone is turtling.

I think it'd be neat if CoE had something comparable, maybe a set of ridiculous endgame rituals that can be cast by weird mages that only pop up after a certain number of turns.

Stuff that lets you boil off the entire ocean, sever connections to the elemental planes, hades and the underworld, rip agartha from the underbelly of the world and make the void eat itself.

Mechanically, it just permanently kills anything in those areas.

I suppose it'd be just as good to ensure that in a situation where someone is holed up in a weird plane, you'd eventually get guaranteed recruitment offers of mages who can give you access.

Guaranteeing planar access is a much better solution than global nukes, yes. The nukes would make the planes entirely worthless.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Benly posted:

Guaranteeing planar access is a much better solution than global nukes, yes. The nukes would make the planes entirely worthless.

I think that'd be a great problem to solve if the planes are mostly useful only as a hiding spot.

There should be a lot more cool stuff out there.

Edit: I guess you can recruit special dudes, and there sometimes spell discounts, but it should be worth it to invest effort into conquest.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 29, 2016

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Benly posted:

They slready kind of are since there is very little benefit to capturing any of them.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Benly posted:

The only tier-3 ritual I've gotten so far is Call Of The Wild, which spawns independent animals and beast-type monsters all over the map; the description claims that it's in every forest and jungle you don't control. Naturally they will then wander all over the forests and jungles you do control (or used to), but at least your enemies will probably be at least as annoyed as you are.
The CoE equivalent to Dominions' Burden of Time?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Conquer the two special sites in Hades, unleash the dead upon the world like that one event but neutral, or every turn take damage like the living do in Hades...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

LordSloth posted:

Conquer the two special sites in Hades, unleash the dead upon the world like that one event but neutral, or every turn take damage like the living do in Hades...

Something like this should open a gate to Hades, so then people would have a chance to march their dying armies to retake one of the sites as the effect slowly increases in severity.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Azuth0667 posted:

They slready kind of are since there is very little benefit to capturing any of them.

Sorry, should've clarified I meant entirely vs. mostly.

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013

Benly posted:

The dryad summons in general are pretty expensive - 25 for Minor Animals, 100 for Major Animals, 400 for Call of Gaia (commanders and elite troops), 750 for Servants of Gaia (monsters). Call of Gaia is probably the most worthwhile of them, imo; the commanders are strong spellcasters, white minotaurs are pretty good, and dryad hoplites look extremely good. You don't really need chaff from animal-summoning after the earliest game (that's what satyrs and harpies are for) and monsters are cool but too expensive, I think.
It is a lot easier to build up herbs than any other resource, even gold. In my current game I have control of 2 forests and have in the region of 100 herbs a turn outside of summer and winter. Map size may have an effect on how easy this is to maintain. Hamadryad are not grove only, they can be used to block access to forests, although really they are better with some free spawn as well. At this point in game, the major limit on growth is finding the time to wonder over and claim more groves. I'd say I lack commanders, but I have a commander of some type in all 5 grove+ bases in order to make use of the free spawn bonus. Overall I'd be inclined to describe them as spell casting forest Barons.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
IMO conquering the capitals of Hades and/or Inferno should allow some goofy transmortal recruitment nonsense. That really good Old Wizard ate dirt fighting a Beholder? Well, the spiritual coin toss came up heads, so his soul's going to Hades. Ah, I see you control the temple of Orcus! You qualify for a one-time-only recruitment offer: one familiar-looking Old Wizard, now undead and permanently ethereal, and even more incredibly expensive than usual! Act now, before he goes to his final rest! I see that 50 troops died with him - this turn only, up to 50 ghost soldiers and/or ghost archers may be recruited at a moderate discount!

e: you could also do some pretty interesting stuff with a "souls" resource that can only be collected by someone who holds nodes in one of the afterlives. Spend an atrocious number of souls to resurrect that really good commander. Spend a whole bunch of souls to get cool unique ghost and demon mages. Have those mages use their soul rituals to summon gobs and gobs of lost souls or sinners for cheap, expendable reinforcements. Occupy the capitals of two planes and spend a frankly grotesque - like really genuinely horrific - quantity of souls to do whatever caused Fallen Empire and permanently link the capitals as indestructible portals, paving the way for a full-scale demonic invasion of Hades or undead invasion of Elysium or whatever.

e2: The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a specialized resource unique to the spiritual planes. It adds a unique benefit to off-plane nodes and a reason to want to hold them, it shouldn't be disproportionately powerful for Necromancer since they mostly use undead troops and have no shortage of plane-shifting ability to begin with, and it provides a neat spin on the endgame for any Demonologist nuts enough to try for an actual large-scale occupation of Inferno instead of just summoning the Lords out of it and letting them trample everything. There would have to be some means of guaranteed planar access for other factions, but I think the idea has merit.

I have absolutely no idea whether it's remotely feasible to try to implement though :saddowns:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 30, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

The CoE equivalent to Dominions' Burden of Time?
No it's like Wild Hunt

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Can someone help me understand the dryad recruiting gimmick? I have her and the commander parked on groves but when I end turn I don't get any furry hoofed assholes.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The recruitment sort of goes in...bursts or something. Some turns you get nothing and some turns a single white Centaur calls 6 of their buddies. Most turns Minotaurs won't show up, but it is well worth waiting for them. A single grove can attract Satyrs, Minotaurs, and Centaurs if you have one of each type of commander there. Putting your starting commander and your starting Dryad in your home grove does nothing but waste time. Only the Dryad's higher bonus is needed to attract Satyrs and Harpys. Send that guy out to get some iron or some trade ASAP. Nothing worse than realizing you can't recruit that keeper of Minotaur Traditions because you lack 5 or 10 iron.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I have to second the above theory about magnitude and multipliers. Rather than repeat it outright, things that may be going wrong;

Ancient Forests do not count for freespawn, you have to make park in a sacred grove or better. They're okay for upgrading to basic warriors though.
A spawn boost of +1 counts for nearly nothing with just a sacred grove, though you'll certainly see some returns if you upgrade all the way to primoridal. You want +2 or better. Notably, Minotaur Lords and Centaur Cataphracts have a measly +1. You'll want to save for a Keeper of Traditions or a Hierophant(ide) if you can, Centaur Commander if you can't.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
I'm at 2 out of 2 wins with her now. About the same as my loss rate with Troll King. Seems quite powerful, although I don't feel I got tested much in either game. Pretty good maptypes both games.

In my last game I actually used the starting dryad a lot for early game expansion. She needs gold so much and my starting farm was in permafrost, but there was a lightly defended town nearby. A few charms and confusions really help in small sieges.

She's nice.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't know how she's set for late game magical might but her rank and file troops seem ridiculously good.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i threw together a slapdash edit of the better homeland security mod that includes the dryad queen, should i share it and if so how

also did the same for a mod that equips one starting commander for each faction with a bloodstone amulet, though the original creator of that mod isn't from here. it's incredibly minimal and i'm curious to what extent credit would even be due if i shared that one :v:

e: my edit somehow messes up the guardian leader unit such that they have the cut down forest command instead of the horror summon suicide command. still fulfills the same end though, and seems oddly fitting. also, selecting a hamadryad as guardian may have been a mistake, it retains its (new as of the dryad queen update) harpy spawn boost

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 2, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
A dryad suiciding by cutting down her own sacred grove is somehow one of the most hardcore things I've ever heard and I insist that you leave that the way it is.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tollymain posted:

i threw together a slapdash edit of the better homeland security mod that includes the dryad queen, should i share it and if so how

also did the same for a mod that equips one starting commander for each faction with a bloodstone amulet, though the original creator of that mod isn't from here. it's incredibly minimal and i'm curious to what extent credit would even be due if i shared that one :v:

e: my edit somehow messes up the guardian leader unit such that they have the cut down forest command instead of the horror summon suicide command. still fulfills the same end though, and seems oddly fitting. also, selecting a hamadryad as guardian may have been a mistake, it retains its (new as of the dryad queen update) harpy spawn boost

Yeah sure if you put it up somewhere I'll add it as an official update, or you can push it yourself? I'm not sure if you need permissions to access the repo.

To be honest I'm not really happy with the mod anyway, it's something I put together over one or two evenings and then sorta abandoned. I thought about taking it down since I stopped playing the game. I used to play CoE3 a lot, then I got CoE4 but it's too similar and I've only played it for a few days before shelving it.

Do what you want with it really, I was going to make it more modular at least, because some of the stuff in it is kinda meh. But the whole game is a bit meh too to be honest, there's not enough to do with the planes and scripting things is annoyingly difficult.

fake edit: Whoops this was about 10 days too late. Oh well.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Yeah sure if you put it up somewhere I'll add it as an official update, or you can push it yourself? I'm not sure if you need permissions to access the repo.

To be honest I'm not really happy with the mod anyway, it's something I put together over one or two evenings and then sorta abandoned. I thought about taking it down since I stopped playing the game. I used to play CoE3 a lot, then I got CoE4 but it's too similar and I've only played it for a few days before shelving it.

Do what you want with it really, I was going to make it more modular at least, because some of the stuff in it is kinda meh. But the whole game is a bit meh too to be honest, there's not enough to do with the planes and scripting things is annoyingly difficult.

fake edit: Whoops this was about 10 days too late. Oh well.

I pretty much can't play without it anymore, so good job halfassing it and still making a vital addition to the game I guess!

I'd appreciate continued support and fixes from you or somebody at least. Dryad Queen seems to have broken the ritpows you added or something.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Jazerus posted:

I pretty much can't play without it anymore, so good job halfassing it and still making a vital addition to the game I guess!

I'd appreciate continued support and fixes from you or somebody at least. Dryad Queen seems to have broken the ritpows you added or something.

I'll put up an update tonight then. I'm playtesting it now, there's a few things I wanted to do for a while which I'll roll into it. If Tollymain doesn't mind I'll steal his Dryad suicide idea too? Not sure if that kills the player well enough though, presumably not if one has other groves around.

I know other people (Angry Diplomat, Tollymain, whoever) were working on mods of their own. Provided I can make the whole thing modular (should be fairly easy), would you be open to merging everything together?

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 13, 2016

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Sorry to doublepost, but:

Better Homeland Security Mod is back and better than ever! (click the name for download and readme)

Highlights include:
- Every feature is now optional and can be activated separately
- Updated for v 4.21, including Dryad Queen Guardians
- New Feature: Spies! Scout commanders come back from Dominions
- Hopefully it should be now trivial to add new races/tweaks/rituals/features and make them compatible (anyone who wants/is willing to contribute post here so I can make you an admin on GH, or send me a PM)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Sorry to doublepost, but:

Better Homeland Security Mod is back and better than ever! (click the name for download and readme)

Highlights include:
- Every feature is now optional and can be activated separately
- Updated for v 4.21, including Dryad Queen Guardians
- New Feature: Spies! Scout commanders come back from Dominions
- Hopefully it should be now trivial to add new races/tweaks/rituals/features and make them compatible (anyone who wants/is willing to contribute post here so I can make you an admin on GH, or send me a PM)

Fantastic! Thanks.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
For some reason the CoE4 4.21 version from the Humble Store still unzips into the 4.20 version so I don't have any Dryad Queens yet. "illwinter_game_design_CBRhr_coe421_win.zip" is the name of the file I downloaded today, I'm sure I'm not using the wrong one. It creates a folder named "coe421_win" but when I run the exe inside the title screen reads 4.20. Is there something more I'm supposed to do to install it or did they upload the wrong version?

I cannot think of a joke to make about this situation.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 14, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
private i am irresponsibly ignorant about actual coding practices but please set me up with the github :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do i apply for access on github anyway

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

Make a GitHub account, then fork the project. Make your changes, push them to your account, submit a pull request to get them integrated into the main project.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Tollymain posted:

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I was going to write a github guide for you (short of it is, get the git-extensions client, clone the repository locally [master branch and documentation branch into separate folders, it's more convenient that way], register on github, and post your username here) but I see you've made an account already and all that, so. If you need more help with git post on here about it and I'll make a more detailed guide than that.

I've added you as a collaborator now, so you can put stuff into the main project directly if you want. I'm not going to be too much of a stickler on that, maybe later at some point if this gets bigger.

Invite link: https://github.com/private-speech/AwfulCoE4Mods/invitations (whoever is added as a collaborator needs to click on this and accept)

How to contribute:

Make a new branch for your project (this is slightly different from fork, less hassle more dangerous). Put your unit/class/ritual definitions into AwfulCoE4ModsCore.c4m, and make a new .c4m file with changes/hooks that affect the game. This means you don't get conflicts with the other mods. Then test it and give me a shout so that I can merge it into main, or if you're feeling brave merge it yourself (unless you seriously mess up git has a built-in revision history. in fact that's one of the major draws).

e: branch from master that is, if you want to add stuff to documentation just commit right away

e2:

scuba school sucks posted:

For some reason the CoE4 4.21 version from the Humble Store still unzips into the 4.20 version so I don't have any Dryad Queens yet. "illwinter_game_design_CBRhr_coe421_win.zip" is the name of the file I downloaded today, I'm sure I'm not using the wrong one. It creates a folder named "coe421_win" but when I run the exe inside the title screen reads 4.20. Is there something more I'm supposed to do to install it or did they upload the wrong version?

I cannot think of a joke to make about this situation.

drat that sucks :( The 4.21 should indeed say 4.21 in the corner. (not like a certain version of Dominions which proudly stated the old version number :downs:) Send an email to the devs/humblebundle about it? I'm sure you can't be the only one with that issue. They are very good at replying to people quickly IIRC.

e3:
This Github guide is super basic and doesn't explain gitextensions, but it should get you started, and gitextensions is pretty much just a gui around the git terminal app. Or this which goes through how to set up gitextensions, but not all the steps are absolutely necessary.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 14, 2016

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I sent an email to the Illwinter guys, haven't heard back from them, and I'm mostly getting the runaround from Humble Support staff. "Oh, well, we don't actually sell the games or verify the content on our store, really we're just a storefront, notice how on Illwinter's news page it says Dominions 4 is Steam only so therefore that's the same thing as CoE4 updates being Steam only despite the Illwinter news page explicitly saying otherwise, as a paying customer somehow it's your responsibility to fix this so here's a link to Illwinter's support", goddamn I'm having Red Ring of Death flashbacks here. They heavily implied I am literally the only human being who has ever bought a copy of CoE4 on Humble, since I'm the only one who complained about it. Whichever Illwinter employee who noticed me asking if I can get the game in a non-Steam format in this topic, (and then the game was on Humble within the week, but only the exact specific game I said I'd buy) fix your widget uploads or whatever the gently caress.

On the other hand I'm having a lot of fun with the Necromancer after a couple of false starts. Man, Abominations kick rear end in stereo, even moreso when you're fighting Hoburgs or Senators or Barons. I hope these guys have level 3 summons. Oh, the Baron? For some reason he took about 50 Hastati and holed up in an Old Castle on my eastern border (sweet, I wanted to see what vampires were like) and never came out. I didn't realize he was the Baron until a single suicide Ziz bomber dropped a boulder on him and the second largest faction on the map went neutral due to no remaining leaders.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Okay, they finally updated the Humble Store download to version 4.21c, so I have my Dryad Queens and whatnot. They took their sweet time and I could have dealt without being told that "It says here that Dominions 4 is Steam-only so if you want the new Conquest of Elysium content you have to buy it on Steam" but a month later they did get it working properly. Good job, Humble staff, good job Illwinter staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

scuba school sucks posted:

Okay, they finally updated the Humble Store download to version 4.21c, so I have my Dryad Queens and whatnot. They took their sweet time and I could have dealt without being told that "It says here that Dominions 4 is Steam-only so if you want the new Conquest of Elysium content you have to buy it on Steam" but a month later they did get it working properly. Good job, Humble staff, good job Illwinter staff.

just get steam

• Locked thread