Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Each person can click this once a week. It applies to everyone in the fleet. Click it when ever. 30 people in the fleet means 30 weekly buffs.

This is spotting money and experience.
It is really weird how spotting is damage you do with your vision, team mate spottings is damage you do with other peoples vision, and assist damage is damage your team does with your vision.

I went around an island and pretty much had a team of BBs firing at enemy BBs that couldn't see me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Did that already, but was not sure if it were my funds or fleet funds, so I builded the smallest one to make sure I could cover the costs by re-donating the money. The description is actually quiet good, but I'm never sure with chinese games. Next week I'll build the bigger silver one. :smith:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Send Koorisch an invite, got my tier 2.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Does anyone want or need a guide on various parts of this game?

I see a lot of players don't understand scouting and torpedoes.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Explain Carriers to me, I don't have one yet but I would love to understand the basics before heading into my first round.

e:

thanks everyone, now I feel ready to get in on the plane game. I will probably still suck horribly, but at least I will know why.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 15, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So all planes have some important info you need to know about

You can only bring so many planes to a fight and they are done in the ammunition window. You probably don't need 6 scouts and 15 fighters. Torpedo bombers are really really good and you will lose a lot of them.

In battle to launch planes
1 wait for planes to be brought up to the deck.
2 Select a wing
3 Select what the wing will be made of
4 Select how many planes you want in a wing
5 launch planes

Scouts should never be launched in a wing of more than 1.

Let us talk about plane types.

scouts

Submersion time is flight time, a bad chinese translation. But each plane has their own flight time. Scouts and fighters tend to have more.

The scouting range here is really important. 970 is poo poo. Ships will see your planes before you see them. At the start of a match, scouts let you know where the enemy is normally by getting shot down, and some times by actually spotting things. You can put them at choke points if you really want to. They become much more useful when your ships with vision die and someone needs to scout for battleships.

If you want to be super RTS guy, hold B and right click to set way points for your planes.

Fighters are pretty easy and you can send them after planes or have them patrol an area. Patrolling above friendly fighting ships or a known flight path is best since they will easily be shot down by AA.

Torpedo bombers are great and here is why.

they have a 251 m safe range which is 100 m or so shorter than ship based torpedoes. You can pretty much put these right on someone without them noticing. Or if you want to, keep them at long range so you lose way less planes. Every plane that makes it back is another plane you can send out so you effectively have more torpedoes than destroyers.

To use them you will left click and drag to select a path for their torpedoes. They will then fly to that spot and drop them. You can not micro these guys without care since if you click a new spot to drop that is too close to them, they will circle around and then come back to drop and by that time the ship you are aiming at has moved too much.

Dive bombers can be microed heavily since they don't seem to care as much. they have a pretty wide area that their bombs can land in so try to go with or against the bearing of the target. You will land way more bombs.

Never drive forward as the moment you are spotted everyone starts to fire at you, so just go around the edges of the map as long as you have a destroyer or sub in the area ahead of you.

The biggest issue with carriers is getting your planes in and out effectively and in a timely manner. Your flight deck reload time is a big part of this as the T3 american Bogue can send planes and have them return before you have another 3 ready to go.

And this can not be stressed enough. Manually aimed flak destroys any aircraft. Most ships have enough AA to not give a gently caress about planes unless they are too busy shooting at other ships. Distracted ships are easy targets. There is also a loud warning the moment any ship spots planes so most people should hear them coming.

The bad part is that you can not move your view around easily without moving your mouse to the edge of the screen or clicking on the map but you can use + and - to resize the minimap.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 15, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Feindfeuer posted:

Explain Carriers to me, I don't have one yet but I would love to understand the basics before heading into my first round.

Perhaps somebody will manage a more thorough one, but here's a general overview. You can have three squadrons active at a time. You can choose the type of plane for each squadron. So for example you can have three torpedo bomber squads active at the same time, or a mix of one fighter, scout, and dive bomber squad each, or any other combination. You can also choose the number of planes per squadron, but most of the time you'll probably just go with the maximum number unless you want to send a single scout on a suicide run somewhere, or are in a hurry to just get planes in the air asap.

As for resources, you obviously have a limited number of planes per type in reserve, so if all your fighters get shot down then that's that. Planes also have a limited amount of fuel. If they run out completely then they'll just die on the spot, so always make sure to send them back early enough. Lastly you have a deck capacity that determines how many planes you can launch in quick succession. Each plane you launch will use up one capacity, which will slowly recharge at the rate of about one plane each ~10 seconds up to a certain maximum.

You have four types of planes at your disposal: Scouts, Fighters, Torpedo-Bombers and Dive-Bombers.

Scouts are there for spotting both ships and other planes, and are arguably your most important plane type. For one because they allow your team to get a view on the enemies without having to risk themselves, but also because all your other planes have absolute poo poo for spotting range. On their own they won't see anything until they're right on top of it, so it's usually a good idea to have a scout loitering near wherever you're sending your other planes.

Fighters are really straightforward, they just shoot down other planes. Note that enemy planes are actually rather difficult to spot without a scout, so just having a squad of fighters patrolling a flank doesn't guarantee that an enemy squad won't manage to just slip past.

Torpedo-bombers are one of your two options for attacking enemy ships. To make them start an attack run you just click where you want them to drop the torps and drag to set the direction. Their torpedoes tend to have a fairly long activation distance, indicated by the green part of the direction-indicator. The planes need a bit of a run-up to drop their torpedoes, so make sure you place them in such a way that they don't need to turn more than ~45° at the drop point, otherwise they'll circle around and try again.

Dive-Bombers are the alternative way of attacking ships. Their bombs aren't quite as powerful as torpedoes, dealing about 2/3rds of their damage. In return they're much easier to aim, since they don't have an activation distance and don't need a run-up. You can basically tell them to bomb a place right underneath their current position and they'll manage that just fine with no delay at all. The bombs will scatter within a roughly oval pattern that's about the size of a BB, so hitting small ships is a bit of a crapshoot. The long side of the oval is parallel to their flight path, so for best results try to approach a target either from the front or back. Their bombs are supposedly able to damage submerged submarine at the shallow depth, but not deeply submerged ones.

Note that manually targeted AA-fire is ridiculously powerful, to the point where a single destroyer can completely kill any of your squads in two seconds flat. As such it's important to stay away from unoccupied enemies and only move in to attack when you're confident that all enemy ships in range are too busy to actively shoot your planes.

Edit: Welp, most thoroughly beaten :v:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

it is good to have multiple views on things

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Can you do Navyfield torpedo walls in this game?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

The german starter ship has 6 torpedo tubes, 4 universal and one on each side. Deadly numbers of Torpedos stays a thing throughout the game as far as I can tell but players rarely cooperate to form deadly walls of torpedo murder.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Kinda. Some maps work better than others.

Here is a DD with poo poo tons of torpedoes.

You can launch the spread as wide as you want and when you want. Each tube is rearmed and fired individually.

The Bagley is tier 4 and has 4x2 port and 4x2 starboard launchers. You sadly only get 40 torpedoes a match.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The tier 6 US BB looks good :)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wait, that looks like a Nevada Class, but its flying a French flag? Do you get to pick whatever flag you want in this game?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, that looks like a Nevada Class, but its flying a French flag? Do you get to pick whatever flag you want in this game?

Yeah, you can slap a pretty wide variety of flags on the ships, including a custom one that your ingame fleet/clan can upload.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

This game has 4 game modes that I've seen so far.

flagship mode.

Sink flagship to win, no respawns. You get 5 minutes after your flagship is destroyed to blow up theirs for a tie.

Night Battles where no one can see far and you can pop flares

Normal capture the point, either the enemies or a neutral point

Death match with respawns, first to so many kills win.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 15, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

This game has 4 game modes that I've seen so far.

flagship mode.

Sink flagship to win, no respawns. You get 5 minutes after your flagship is destroyed to blow up theirs for a tie.

Night Battles where no one can see far and you can pop flares

Normal capture the point

Death match with respawns, first to so many kills win.

This game is turning more and more into Navyfield, at least from the gamemodes.
I like that.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
"bi" means oval office in chinese

Does this game have the WoWS problem where you get lit on fire for all eternity and there is no other sense of gameplay?

I am confused by my main menu.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
In as Werner Herzdog, I would like to be a Dicks too :dong:

edit: Is there a way to stabilize the scope when you aim, or do just I have to get used to it? Does it wobble as much in cruisers as in destroyers?

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 15, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You stay on fire for a good while but this has world of tank style extinguishers and you can carry a few of them. You can also just wait for the fire to be put out and that doesn't take too long. This game is a much faster paced game than WoWs.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Fleet is level 3 now, we don't need to make it larger for a bit as we got room for 40 people. Donate what ever.

I haven't seen so much wobble in destroyers. Only when you get hit really. That causes bloom and when you turn it causes bloom.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

"bi" means oval office in chinese

Does this game have the WoWS problem where you get lit on fire for all eternity and there is no other sense of gameplay?

I am confused by my main menu.

No, fire is much more rare than in WoWS and also not nearly as devastating. So far I'd say I got set on fire maybe one out of every five games. In the same vein, there's no being spammed to death by streams of small-calibre HE fire. If the shot doesn't penetrate, it just won't do any meaningful damage whatsoever. Having played both, so far I certainly prefer this game to WoWS.

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
I applied as Smiler. Game looks cool so far.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hey guys, if you need to use mumble, just use the CTS world of warships channels since they are pretty empty and those guys have a different server.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Looks like I missed the "log in 20 times" event and won't be getting noted collaborateur Francois Darlan as a crew member. That's a shame.

I applied as "slimjimpickens"

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I run an elite Mahan and get 4-5 kills easily. Destroyers are super fun. Managed to skip almost every Japanese cruiser that way to get to the Agano.

My secret is knowing how to aim with torpedoes and also having upgraded guns. The DPS on guns hugely improves if you get the upgrades. Also being able to hit people is good.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 15, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
How do depth charges work? I dropped one directly onto a submarine and it said "success" but did no damage and I didn't see an explosion.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

James Garfield posted:

How do depth charges work? I dropped one directly onto a submarine and it said "success" but did no damage and I didn't see an explosion.

Drop them on the shadow. Drop perpendicular to the sub for maximum damage since your depth charges drop side by side.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

How to choose your ship

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Game is fun. Wish they did not have gold ammo though. Bad memories from WoT. Otherwise the pace of play is almost exactly the same and even the items are similar.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Did you even look at the gold ammo?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I wonder if the Nassau secondary battery is a typo. One of the upgraded guns fires 13 rounds per minute, which trivializes destroyers and is near double any of the other tier 2 secondaries.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
The best "entry level" deal seems to be to spend $13.6 on the 6800 gold package, which gives you 6800 gold for free. This allows the purchase of the 10.8K gold growth plan that gives you 22K gold back + a bunch of exp.

So in total $13 bucks gives you 24.8K gold and 172K exp.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 16, 2015

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I suddenly found myself close to an enemy sub between sonar pings. so i dove and rammed him mid-dive.

As you can see from the throttle, we are completely stuck together. When I went to periscope depth a few seconds later it dragged him up too. I should have let him drown in the deeps, because some torpedo bombers hit us, killing me and leaving him at 16 hp. Then someone torpedoed him.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

FebrezeNinja posted:

I suddenly found myself close to an enemy sub between sonar pings. so i dove and rammed him mid-dive.

As you can see from the throttle, we are completely stuck together. When I went to periscope depth a few seconds later it dragged him up too. I should have let him drown in the deeps, because some torpedo bombers hit us, killing me and leaving him at 16 hp. Then someone torpedoed him.

Yeah, I had the same thing happening when ramming a surfaced sub in a destroyer. It just stuck to me and I dragged it along, but I couldn't steer until I hit the reverse to untangle us again. On that note, always ram submarines if you have the opportunity in a bigger ship, it does major damage to them and they're so tiny that you barely suffer any in return.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yes!

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Some questions about Commanders.

1. Are the passive boni listed always active if there is no limitation in the description text, like 'when assigned as communication officer', no matter what slot I put them in?
2. Active Skills are only useable by the Captain, no matter if it's in the description or not, right?
3. Do passive skills stack, like if one guy as 2% MG dmg increase and another 3%, do I end up with a 5% bonus or only with the 3% of the highest bonus?

I guess as long as the skills are blue after I assigned the officer they work, but I'd love to make sure.

Also I bought half a year of premium time for ~17k gold, which isn't that much thanks to the pack bonus gold you get. On top of the half year you get a T2 US BB of the Great White Fleet, including Great White Fleet paintjob.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 16, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Clan war / Fleet battle information

These happen during the designated time and give you +150% exp and silver. They are two days a week.

Do you think you are too low of a level? Shut up idiot

They have this set up so we can choose our tier of fight. We will then have a selection menu where we can choose our ships with certain limits in place. In the novice battles you can be tier 2 - 4 except destroyers and submarines can only be tier 2 - 3. It is strange like that.

After that we get thrown into a match maker and get set up against a random enemy fleet.

Why would you want to do this?

If we win two of them, we get 360 merit. That is enough for two random officers. Fleet supplies also let us give out buffs to the entire fleet.

So fleet battles may be an ok thing to do if you want to play with goons and get free buffs out of it. I am not going to force anyone to do this poo poo but if you do it, cool.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Here is one of the random officers you may get via merit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Feindfeuer posted:

Some questions about Commanders.

1. Are the passive boni listed always active if there is no limitation in the description text, like 'when assigned as communication officer', no matter what slot I put them in?
2. Active Skills are only useable by the Captain, no matter if it's in the description or not, right?
3. Do passive skills stack, like if one guy as 2% MG dmg increase and another 3%, do I end up with a 5% bonus or only with the 3% of the highest bonus?

I guess as long as the skills are blue after I assigned the officer they work, but I'd love to make sure.

Also I bought half a year of premium time for ~17k gold, which isn't that much thanks to the pack bonus gold you get. On top of the half year you get a T2 US BB of the Great White Fleet, including Great White Fleet paintjob.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Stacks

• Locked thread