Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Oh wow they're adding magnetic torpedoes into the game. I wonder if they'll also add in a new gimmick for historical battles where it's about 8 IJN destroyers protecting a convoy vs a full team of USN submarines.

The USN torpedoes does a circular run on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Danann posted:

I wonder if they'll also add in a new gimmick for historical battles where it's about 8 IJN destroyers protecting a convoy vs a full team of USN submarines.

My dream of having the Authentic SS-257 experience is probably better left unfulfilled anyways.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Livorno Trip Report:

http://imgur.com/a/c4mPf

That's a spicy meatball. 6 guns sounds a little undergunned, but when they fire at 2.5rpm base, have 6.1 km range, high accuracy for a BB, do Queen Elizabeth damage and pen, and fly as fast as a US CA's shells, you can forgive its terrible deck armor, 4 secondaries a side (though they're good secondaries), and terrible radar and spotting.

It also has torpedoes because why not. :italy:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It is time.

Time to shoot botes again.

EDIT: lol, just lost a 9 kill fubuki comp game to a 12 kill fubuki on their team.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 18, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mazz posted:

It is time.

Time to shoot botes again.

EDIT: lol, just lost a 9 kill fubuki comp game to a 12 kill fubuki on their team.

Elder Lee is still scared of me. It's a good feel.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Has anyone tried the UK battlecruisers enough to say :words: about them? The Repulse is pretty good anyway.

Also can you still get tier 5 games with 7 a side, or is every tier like tier 8 used to be now?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've gotten up to the Tiger (and I'm working my way towards the Renown) but the first two are terrible (because why wouldn't they be), the Lion is a shittier Kongo with Orion guns and awkward short-ranged secondaries (which makes sense, the Kongo was a modification of the Lion), but the Tiger has finally hit some paydirt. It's got a pretty good main gun layout, the T5 version of the Orion Guns is perfectly acceptable for a T5 armament, and the secondaries and their layout make getting all 6 of them on a target (it has 6 per side) easy.

I really want the Renown, though. It looks like a Queen Elizabeth that trades some belt armor and one turret for good speed and the deck is still heavily armored, which matters a lot for an artillery ship. From fighting them in my Nelson/Colorado/Scharn, Hoods are Sad Botes that like to explode, so that'll be historically accurate.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I think tier 5-6 is still okay, especially in this little while after the patch. I even saw 12 people in the 9-10 queue yesterday.

Unfortunately high games still often pull bad matchups, like 2 BBs vs 1 BB and a DD or CV. It's a crapshoot, but still kinda fun since more bads have migrated up and a lot of the old decent players seem to be gone. Some are still around tho, azder has played 7000 matches in this awful game.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 19, 2016

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I want to play the Artillery ship but that means I always have an unpainted Tier6 and a Tier5 as my DD's against two RADM+ ranked Laforeys.

I want to play the DD but my Artillery will not shoot at the ONLY artillery ship on the enemy team even though I have him spotted for five minutes straight because.

I want to play with competent goons but goons do not play anymore, I could join No Botes Allowed but they don't really use VOIP as far as I am aware plus their bote pedophilia means joining is a non starter for me.

Steel Ocean. Steel Ocean never changes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Groggy you know for a fact I am usually botefite, just I am traveling and on vacation at the moment.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Yeah but you always have your own entourage with you and with the squad limit being three it gets... awkward. So the end result is almost always still playing alone.

edit: Pubbies.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 20, 2016

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I would play with goons more if I knew what time goons would habitually log on to shoot botes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I would hop on and play my Gearing a bit if you want Mazz.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Groggy nard posted:

Yeah but you always have your own entourage with you and with the squad limit being three it gets... awkward. So the end result is almost always still playing alone.

edit: Pubbies.

Sorry, next time I'll tell Xaphan to get stuffed and Kommy and I will join you at T7/8 with SURCOUF and YAMATO to have glorious ducky adventures.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Danann posted:

I would play with goons more if I knew what time goons would habitually log on to shoot botes.

We had a good run on fleet battles for a while, then they just got impossible to get matches for.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just killed a Bismarck with penetrating fire from the Surcouf's cannons.

Honhonhon, motherfuckers.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Night10194 posted:

Sorry, next time I'll tell Xaphan to get stuffed and Kommy and I will join you at T7/8 with SURCOUF and YAMATO to have glorious ducky adventures.

There are other games that we can play where nobody has to get stuffed.

Also I have reason to play T7 again thanks to the KGV having an amusingly fast reload.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Double Posting because according to the Official Twitter, American and Japanese BB's will get updated to have both "Fast" and "Heavy" Battleship lines, including the Montana and Fuso. And CL's might get a buff to Artillery Range.

https://twitter.com/SteelOceanDev/with_replies

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Groggy nard posted:

Double Posting because according to the Official Twitter, American and Japanese BB's will get updated to have both "Fast" and "Heavy" Battleship lines, including the Montana and Fuso. And CL's might get a buff to Artillery Range.

https://twitter.com/SteelOceanDev/with_replies

If the mog 35 got a range buff it would be fun as gently caress to play. It already eats hippers for breakfast.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panzeh posted:

If the mog 35 got a range buff it would be fun as gently caress to play. It already eats hippers for breakfast.

Anything that gets in range to fire at a hipper does this.

This is why the Hippy's secondaries and torps are a trap.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Playing with a good CV driver is fun and cool, you just have to be patient with the Matchmaker. Totally worth it so far.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Wow, the tier 2 and 3 British battlecruisers are the worst ships in the game

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

James Garfield posted:

Wow, the tier 2 and 3 British battlecruisers are the worst ships in the game

fite my connecticut i dare you

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got through the Ca-Class by never actually buying or playing it and dilligently saving free EXP for a long time.

I hope the Tribal won't suck.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I originally wanted to do a better post with fancy pictures and everything for this, but got caught at work late, so this will have to do:

A friend of mine is on the crew running a submersible dive on the wreck of the U.S.S Independence, starting at 7 pm ET (4 pm Pacific Time, or basically now.)

You can find the stream here: http://nautiluslive.org/

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I became angry at pubbies and did a bad thing.

Also a tentative preview of the new American BB lines.
https://twitter.com/SteelOceanDev/status/768713204163719168

edit: why

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 26, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Danann posted:

Oh wow they're adding magnetic torpedoes into the game. I wonder if they'll also add in a new gimmick for historical battles where it's about 8 IJN destroyers protecting a convoy vs a full team of USN submarines.

Does that come with the historical American dud rate?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That feeling when an enemy sub forgets your Surcouf has side torps makes the dumb ship worth it every time. :france:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wait the Surcouf has spoon(?) launchers? I never knew this. :psyduck:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait the Surcouf has spoon(?) launchers? I never knew this. :psyduck:

Neither did that Tier 8 Nazi sub last night! :smugdog:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So what is the real status of this game? I've just started getting into World of Warships, but as a Castles of Steel grognard I think I'd be really excited about more realism in terms of ballistics, penetration and damage modeling. I'd play Fighting Steel Online if it existed in a heartbeat.

In any case someone told me Steel Ocean is a bit more realistic in these respects, but when I checked the thread here it seemed I was seeing a lot of posts about the game having no population.

Is this being exaggerated? I definitely don't want to start playing, and possibly drop $45 into a game that's going to never pop battles at best and shut down its NA server at worst.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Steel Ocean is not at all realistic and is focused much more strongly on being a good game.

It has a small but relatively stable population and I don't have that much trouble getting matches, though they're usually tiny at high tiers like 8.

The main goal is this game is to position your big ships well, hopefully in a group, and blow the gently caress out of an enemy line that hopefully doesn't know exactly where you are due to outscouting them, killing their scouts, and using aircraft.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Well, thes

Night10194 posted:

Steel Ocean is not at all realistic and is focused much more strongly on being a good game.

It has a small but relatively stable population and I don't have that much trouble getting matches, though they're usually tiny at high tiers like 8.

The main goal is this game is to position your big ships well, hopefully in a group, and blow the gently caress out of an enemy line that hopefully doesn't know exactly where you are due to outscouting them, killing their scouts, and using aircraft.

I don't expect it to be realistic. That's pretty much impossible for these types of games that don't want 3 hour matches and mix wildly different timeframes.

I was just told the ballistics and armor modeling is better than world of warships.

Of course that could be a totally wrong.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh yeah they're way better than WoWS, in that poo poo like plunging fire comes up way more often than just being a crapshoot and your modules and armor are fairly consistent. It's also a lot easier to see what your shells' Penetration is. Also, armor seems to buckle and break some by bouncing shells repeatedly, wearing away some and letting lighter fire through.

Also, everyone isn't on fire all the time like in WoWS.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
The guns and armor are probably more realistic, in that plunging fire actually exists (warships cuts off the ranges instead of compressing them, so battleship shells at 15 km are coming in flat even though 15 km is pretty long range) and ships aren't hollow besides the citadel. Penetration works like in world of tanks, but I think deck and belt penetration are different and change depending on distance. The Germans don't get a random bonus from using WWI armor instead of all-or-nothing.

Also in warships "exposing your broadside" is a bad thing, Steel Ocean correctly represents that battleships had all their armor on the broadside.

As far as tactics it's more realistic than warships by default, because getting your T crossed is a bad thing instead of the main way to avoid damage.

Steel Ocean isn't really dead, apparently the number of players went up a bit in the last month. Games at high tier are usually 3 on 3, but up to tier 6 or so you shouldn't have problems getting bigger games unless you play at like 3am pacific. It might be more popular, but apparently wargaming threatened to pull warships youtube personalities' preview access when they reviewed it. Also the developers have still not figured out advertising, or making an English website.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Also, armor seems to buckle and break some by bouncing shells repeatedly, wearing away some and letting lighter fire through.

Is this really a thing now? My Des Moines might actually be worth something!

Also I really need to get back into this game, it was fun.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's been a thing for quite a while. It's more noticeable in the Super KitKat mode because the KitKat has a lot of HP such that eventually, 5-inch shells are penetrating for full damage instead of doing scratch damage.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

James Garfield posted:

The guns and armor are probably more realistic, in that plunging fire actually exists (warships cuts off the ranges instead of compressing them, so battleship shells at 15 km are coming in flat even though 15 km is pretty long range) and ships aren't hollow besides the citadel. Penetration works like in world of tanks, but I think deck and belt penetration are different and change depending on distance. The Germans don't get a random bonus from using WWI armor instead of all-or-nothing.

Also in warships "exposing your broadside" is a bad thing, Steel Ocean correctly represents that battleships had all their armor on the broadside.

As far as tactics it's more realistic than warships by default, because getting your T crossed is a bad thing instead of the main way to avoid damage.

Yeah, if you get your T crossed against a CA or BB you are about to have some Bad Times. You really, really don't want to have to advance directly into a broadside enemy BB because you will actually get enfilade fire where his dispersion is about equal to the shape of your boat and you get turbo-hosed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Log082 posted:

Is this really a thing now? My Des Moines might actually be worth something!

Also I really need to get back into this game, it was fun.

If Groggy, Kommy, and I start seeing more goons we'll go back to Mumble instead of Skype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

If Groggy, Kommy, and I start seeing more goons we'll go back to Mumble instead of Skype.

I'll try and log on more, though I'm not on mumble right now anyway. I need a new headset, first.

I did just play a few games and sunk a BB with my Surcouf. Still got it!

• Locked thread