Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Steel Ocean is a chinese f2p world of warship like game on steam found here.

It plays more like battlestations than world of warships and despite not looking that good has so far been amusing and has shown to have a good gold / vip system. Unlike world of warships, this game includes submarines and they are rather balanced.

:siren: British Ships are in. DDs and CVs are now. More later. :siren:

Differences between World of Warships and Steel Ocean
China vs Russia
Submarines
Automatic and manual AA
Can control secondaries on ships
An expansive system for gold and events
A lot of ways to get free experience
Surprisingly good for an asian game
Graphics are worse and some ships have visible problems
Built in VOIP with T for push to talk
Plays much faster
Platoon size is 5 with limits of no more than 3 battleships, 2 carriers, and 3 submarines.
Has a respawn game mode where it is first team to get to so many kills

Submarines can stay surfaced, submerse, or run deep. While submersed, they use oxygen and can drown. When running deep, they are immune to all damage but depth charges. Submarines can ram each other while underwater. They will have forward and aft firing torpedoes and sometimes a deck gun, although the deck gun may only be AA.

Some people were worried about submarines being over powered but they are prone to getting too close to enemy ships for their torpedoes, drowning due to lack of air, or played by a lot of bad players.

A good submarine will stay still, shoot from long distances, and ambush. They are the slowest ship going 15 knots on the surface and 10 knots when running deep.

These are primarily scouts and their main weapons are torpedoes although they do have smaller guns to protect themselves against larger ships, I’ve had issues with penetrating heavier armor. Torpedoes, unlike guns, do not make you more visible when you fire them allowing you to scout. They are rather fast ships that go about 35 knots. They also are a good defense against submarines and absolutely wreck them.

This is one step up from a destroyer, losing a bit of speed and torpedoes but gaining quite a bit in guns and armor. These are good jack of all trade ships and are good at everything but great at nothing.

This a heavier version of the cruiser which is honestly what most people who say “I want a battleship” actually want.

The heaviest ships in the game play more like artillery in similar games. They can use their primary artillery and secondary guns to shoot people that they can see just fine, but are often victims to torpedo attacks and airplanes. Their armor will often bounce shells unless they manage to land one on the top deck. When firing artillery, you can enter into a bird's eye view to shoot long distances or stay in your normal view for closer distances.

They are prone to dying by anyone with torpedoes. Smaller ships can get right next to you and be too small for you to hit. Most people who want a battleship actually just want a heavy cruiser.

Carriers play like a RTS game. They can select their plane load out like ammunition before a match and then have to wait for planes to be brought up to the deck so that you can form them into wings and launch them. You will have access to scouts, fighters, torpedo bombers, and dive bombers. The only bad things is moving the map around in bird's eye view requires you to click the minimap or move the mouse to the edge of the map as WASD still moves your ship and you have to hold B and right click to use waypoints.

All of your planes are useful but the scouts are the worst plane only because their vision range is less than ships you will be scouting. If you want your bombers to not get destroyed, find ships that are not paying attention or too busy to switch to their manual AA. Every plane that comes back can be repaired and rearmed.

Tech Trees

There is also the Surcouf in the French tree and the Anshan in the Chinese tree. The British should be coming in December.

Playing with Goons

We currently have a fleet up called GOONS. You must have a rank 2 ship to get into the guild and it has a limit of people who can join it. We can raise that as we level up. Just apply and we will let you in, and kick out anyone who is not vetted as being a goon if we need room.

1 Hit Fleet
2 Find [GOONS]
3 Hit Apply
4 Post in thread
Or ask for an invite in this thread and be ignored since I can't do that.

The fleet gives you access to even more bonus money and experience and we can boost this during certain blocks in the week. We will probably need to talk about when to do this at some point.

Neat poo poo and Bad poo poo

There is a growth plan where if you invest money into the game, you will get a return on your investment. You have to do this before Tier 5 and you get a return on each tier from 4 to 8. This will double your gold investment and give you a crap ton of free experience.

Every day you can earn free exp from rankings. There are also monthly and weekly rankings.

There is a random commander / crew system with some active abilities, but to get more commanders you will need to spend merit from events (daily quests) and you will get a random one in return. If you get duplicates you can increase their rank, otherwise playing with them increases their level, and each thing gives you access to more skills.

Submarines can ram each other underwater

It has a weird asian chat censor that will make bigger into **gger you racist

There are two VIP methods and both are at reasonable rates

There is gold ammo in the game that you can not buy with silver, but it isn’t overpowering in the least. The gold torpedoes are laughably bad.

Chat can not be resized in battle yet, but can be resized in game. The devs know about this.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We can put a flag on our ships for our guild now.

We just need an image, no larger than 1024*1024 that will shrink down to 64*64 by the game devs. It can be no larger than 32KBs.

I can't think of a funny one but we can probably change this multiple times for the cost of in game silver.

EDIT: Uploaded isis flag

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 14, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Just got my first night battle.

I had something like 36 flares and i could not use a spot light.

that is how close I was to a battleship before he could see me.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Mirificus posted:

I find it strange that this game measures ship speed in km/h instead of knots.

Thanks, I am loving retarded

fixed

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

welp

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Haven't had any lag here.

If you apply, get in, and get kicked, it is because we didn't know you were a goon.

Sorry.

New people who join get the rank new member. We will change that rank when we confirm you and not boot you out.

Commanders are gained via the shop for gold or merit. Merit is gained via events. There are some fleet events and normal play events that will gain you merit. The officers are either specific ones or random.

These commanders then require you to level them up to gain access to some skills. Other skills need to be gained by rarity promoting them via qualification points. You gain more qualification points if you buy a random officer and get one you already had.

Rarity also may improve certain skills besides gaining access to them.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I haven't played too much as a carrier but torpdeo bombers have done a whole lot more damage than dive bombers.

Mainly because dive bombers seem to require you to go along the bearing of the enemy ship to get the least amount of misses, and larger ships are a better target.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 14, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We didn't think a mod would approve it, yet they did. We put in for a new flag last night. If you got a flag you want, let us know since it is only 100K to change.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Tier 1 and 2 they may be bad just because you will be very far ahead of other people and they won't look to see if their torpedoes will hit friendlies.

But they are good against everything except cruisers. When facing a battleship, if you get close enough you will destroy them with torpedoes, but they can also kill you with a single volley.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We just gained more guild spots.

Donating silver or gold increases the guild funds and levels up the fleet. This gives us more slots.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Eh what ever floats your boat

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Please stop botting

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Not as of yet.

Most of us are friends who have been idling in CTS misc channels for a few years now and make up the core of people playing this game. You can find us in the largest CTS misc channel.

Later on when we get more we can bug troll or someone to create a channel.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Taking a sub to the enemy carriers is some times a good idea.

Circling them on the surface as a sub using your deck gun, although fun, is not very effective.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

They will die rather fast to manual flak but rather slowly to automatic AA.

Engage ships that don't have time to switch to manual flak cause they are busy shooting something. You will get a lot more kills that way.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I Greyhound posted:

It is the only French ship currently in game. It's only purchasable for the real money currency, and costs about $90 USD.

$97.60 unless you buy packages then it is $48.80.

EDIT: Surcouf is the most expensive ship. Also in the last tier that gold ships appear which is tier 8.

The cheapest and lowest one seems to be the Gambier Bay for $15.60 in tier 3. With a package it is $7.80

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 14, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

When shallow, depth charges, torpedoes, and I've been told dive bombers can hit you.
When deep, only depth charges.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Going up a tier in german subs is fun

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Fleet has almost all goons in it and I've suckered as many non goons as I can.

We need 1,500,000 fleet funds to increase the max size 10 more people. We are currently at 414,401 fleet funds.

Silver can be donated at a 1:1 ratio while gold is worth double.

So we need about 1,000,000 total from the remaining 30 people and this works out to be about 33,333 per person. You can donate more or less if you wish. 50,000 is easy to come by later on.

This isn't of high importance right now.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Also as a reminder, 100,000 silver is a new flag. Got a flag you like that is funny? No problem, put the file on imgur, and we will do that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Sure. That should go up in the next day or two. Either my self or someone else needs to get 100K then be promoted to leader to upload it. Shouldn't take too long. The flags so far have taken abour 24 hours to be approved by mods.

Just a reminder on the flags, max picture size is 1024*1024 and will be shrunk down to 64*64. Max file size is 32kb.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I run out of my 40 torpedoes way too fast in my DD so I've been having to learn how to aim a bit better.

Also always buy smoke. Two people working together with smoke can get right into the enemys teams face and unload 4x2 torpedoes for each DD into what ever you find, flip sides, and fire another 4x2.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Each person can click this once a week. It applies to everyone in the fleet. Click it when ever. 30 people in the fleet means 30 weekly buffs.

This is spotting money and experience.
It is really weird how spotting is damage you do with your vision, team mate spottings is damage you do with other peoples vision, and assist damage is damage your team does with your vision.

I went around an island and pretty much had a team of BBs firing at enemy BBs that couldn't see me.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Does anyone want or need a guide on various parts of this game?

I see a lot of players don't understand scouting and torpedoes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So all planes have some important info you need to know about

You can only bring so many planes to a fight and they are done in the ammunition window. You probably don't need 6 scouts and 15 fighters. Torpedo bombers are really really good and you will lose a lot of them.

In battle to launch planes
1 wait for planes to be brought up to the deck.
2 Select a wing
3 Select what the wing will be made of
4 Select how many planes you want in a wing
5 launch planes

Scouts should never be launched in a wing of more than 1.

Let us talk about plane types.

scouts

Submersion time is flight time, a bad chinese translation. But each plane has their own flight time. Scouts and fighters tend to have more.

The scouting range here is really important. 970 is poo poo. Ships will see your planes before you see them. At the start of a match, scouts let you know where the enemy is normally by getting shot down, and some times by actually spotting things. You can put them at choke points if you really want to. They become much more useful when your ships with vision die and someone needs to scout for battleships.

If you want to be super RTS guy, hold B and right click to set way points for your planes.

Fighters are pretty easy and you can send them after planes or have them patrol an area. Patrolling above friendly fighting ships or a known flight path is best since they will easily be shot down by AA.

Torpedo bombers are great and here is why.

they have a 251 m safe range which is 100 m or so shorter than ship based torpedoes. You can pretty much put these right on someone without them noticing. Or if you want to, keep them at long range so you lose way less planes. Every plane that makes it back is another plane you can send out so you effectively have more torpedoes than destroyers.

To use them you will left click and drag to select a path for their torpedoes. They will then fly to that spot and drop them. You can not micro these guys without care since if you click a new spot to drop that is too close to them, they will circle around and then come back to drop and by that time the ship you are aiming at has moved too much.

Dive bombers can be microed heavily since they don't seem to care as much. they have a pretty wide area that their bombs can land in so try to go with or against the bearing of the target. You will land way more bombs.

Never drive forward as the moment you are spotted everyone starts to fire at you, so just go around the edges of the map as long as you have a destroyer or sub in the area ahead of you.

The biggest issue with carriers is getting your planes in and out effectively and in a timely manner. Your flight deck reload time is a big part of this as the T3 american Bogue can send planes and have them return before you have another 3 ready to go.

And this can not be stressed enough. Manually aimed flak destroys any aircraft. Most ships have enough AA to not give a gently caress about planes unless they are too busy shooting at other ships. Distracted ships are easy targets. There is also a loud warning the moment any ship spots planes so most people should hear them coming.

The bad part is that you can not move your view around easily without moving your mouse to the edge of the screen or clicking on the map but you can use + and - to resize the minimap.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 15, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

it is good to have multiple views on things

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Kinda. Some maps work better than others.

Here is a DD with poo poo tons of torpedoes.

You can launch the spread as wide as you want and when you want. Each tube is rearmed and fired individually.

The Bagley is tier 4 and has 4x2 port and 4x2 starboard launchers. You sadly only get 40 torpedoes a match.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

This game has 4 game modes that I've seen so far.

flagship mode.

Sink flagship to win, no respawns. You get 5 minutes after your flagship is destroyed to blow up theirs for a tie.

Night Battles where no one can see far and you can pop flares

Normal capture the point, either the enemies or a neutral point

Death match with respawns, first to so many kills win.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 15, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You stay on fire for a good while but this has world of tank style extinguishers and you can carry a few of them. You can also just wait for the fire to be put out and that doesn't take too long. This game is a much faster paced game than WoWs.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Fleet is level 3 now, we don't need to make it larger for a bit as we got room for 40 people. Donate what ever.

I haven't seen so much wobble in destroyers. Only when you get hit really. That causes bloom and when you turn it causes bloom.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hey guys, if you need to use mumble, just use the CTS world of warships channels since they are pretty empty and those guys have a different server.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

How to choose your ship

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Did you even look at the gold ammo?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Clan war / Fleet battle information

These happen during the designated time and give you +150% exp and silver. They are two days a week.

Do you think you are too low of a level? Shut up idiot

They have this set up so we can choose our tier of fight. We will then have a selection menu where we can choose our ships with certain limits in place. In the novice battles you can be tier 2 - 4 except destroyers and submarines can only be tier 2 - 3. It is strange like that.

After that we get thrown into a match maker and get set up against a random enemy fleet.

Why would you want to do this?

If we win two of them, we get 360 merit. That is enough for two random officers. Fleet supplies also let us give out buffs to the entire fleet.

So fleet battles may be an ok thing to do if you want to play with goons and get free buffs out of it. I am not going to force anyone to do this poo poo but if you do it, cool.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Here is one of the random officers you may get via merit

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Feindfeuer posted:

Some questions about Commanders.

1. Are the passive boni listed always active if there is no limitation in the description text, like 'when assigned as communication officer', no matter what slot I put them in?
2. Active Skills are only useable by the Captain, no matter if it's in the description or not, right?
3. Do passive skills stack, like if one guy as 2% MG dmg increase and another 3%, do I end up with a 5% bonus or only with the 3% of the highest bonus?

I guess as long as the skills are blue after I assigned the officer they work, but I'd love to make sure.

Also I bought half a year of premium time for ~17k gold, which isn't that much thanks to the pack bonus gold you get. On top of the half year you get a T2 US BB of the Great White Fleet, including Great White Fleet paintjob.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Stacks

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

What are you in that a destroyer has twice your health.

Oh you are comparing tier 1 and 2, haha

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 16, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

James Garfield posted:

I saw something about needing to pay gold to go above tier 4 in more than one line per nation, can anyone confirm/deny?

edit: yeah it's the "ship blueprint" items but it's badly translated, anyone know what those do?

"If a Lv4 ship has been developed, you can develop other Lv4 ships of the same country"

This means if you have a T4 BB, you can buy these for gold and get a T4 SS or CA or CL or CV

You don't have to do this. It is an option.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It also unlocks all of its parts.

All parts are unlocked, but you still have to buy the boat and parts.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

• Locked thread