Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TehKeen posted:

Narwhals with twin 6" deck guns, anyone? :getin:

This game has the Surcouf, yes? :france:

Any good gameplay videos so I can see what this is like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I Greyhound posted:

It is the only French ship currently in game. It's only purchasable for the real money currency, and costs about $90 USD.

:stare: Wow, and I thought War Thunder was bad. Heck of a way to "No Sale" the game if premiums cost that much.

I at least see some WW1 ships? Is there lots of WW1 ships? WW1 Dreadnoughts are more interesting than WW2 navies.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wait, that looks like a Nevada Class, but its flying a French flag? Do you get to pick whatever flag you want in this game?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man, I cannot find some decent gameplay videos of this without some idiot talking all over it an extremely annoying and false personality.

Panzeh posted:

Pre-dreadnoughts are amazing.

They really knew how to paint ships lovely back then. :allears:

Shame the drive for pretty ships often resulted in subpar performance. Doing crazy things like quietly dumping practice ammo over the side so they didn't actually have to shoot it and ruin the paintwork, or that time the British so obsessively grinded and polished bulkhead doors to a lovely shine that it was discovered they were compromised and would collapse during flooding.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Third World Reggin posted:

TRIPPLE POST COMBO

British Ships on the 27th. Mods on steam said december for us at some point.
http://hz.changyou.com/hz/news/20151112/102567.shtml

Does that include Western/English users? Or is it universal updates/servers or whatever?

Didn't realize the Brits weren't in this yet, what nations are? US, Germany, and Japan? I doubt they have :italy:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm not surprised there are no Italian ships, their navy was pretty rubbish at least in the crew quality. The ships themselves were fine and quite lovely.

Also lol that you can say Nip (which always seemed much more racially charged to me) and not Jap. From what I understand, many Japanese don't even consider "Jap" offensive.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Italians would own if we could get that high visibility paintjob so Italian bombers don't accidentally bomb us.

No mistaking that. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, so I guess I'll take the plunge and give this game a go. Now do I play :911: or :hitler:.

On one hand, the Admiral Hipper Class Prinz Eugen is my favorite naval ship of WW2, on the other hand, American pre-dreadnought ships have those lovely paintjobs and well, :911:.

Too bad :britain: ships aren't in, or I'd go with them.

[edit] Applied as GalagaGalaxian.

Also, is there no Great White fleet paintjob for the early US battleships? Have I been lied to? :911:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 19, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I noticed there was a "Flagship" slot. What is flagship mode?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

By the way, I don't suppose this thing can use the steam wallet, since its on steam? I might throw a modest bit of money at it, and I've already got some cash sitting in my steam wallet.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 19, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cool, thanks for the answer.

I'll play a bit more to see if I really want to take a plunge, but the growth plan seems to provide a good amount of funbucks and thanks to that double bonus you can get it for only $13+change, which isn't really bad at all. Can potentially use that growthplan bucks to pick up the 180 day premium time (+ free battleship, does it get a free ship slot to go with it?) and have enough gold leftover to snag a few ship slots/officers, I dunno.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I assume silver flows a lot more readily at higher tiers? I'm making like 10k a match at Tier 2. Still I'll see what I can pitch in when I log in later.

By the way on the build thing, does that "Duration 60 minutes" mean this bonus starts counting down right after I click build? If so I guess it might be best to wait to do it until there is a decent number of people online?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Regarding the upcoming British ships, I hope their later tier DDs get Hedgehog launchers.

:getin:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Urgh, pubbies. Got to watch a friendly destroyer leave the cap zone to chase a Dreadnought that was far away, so instead of us winning before the Dreadnought could deal with the problem being slow as it is, he charges the BB head on and gets blasted by the main battery because he wasn't even trying to be evasive. I sank 5 enemies ships in my DD before eating that friendly Torpedo, you stupid pubs, I can't do it all. :argh:

:suicide:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Good games tonight, those I played with. Its amazing what a few competent players can do to ensure a reliable win-rate. Since we were winning a lot I was making a lot of silver (for tier 2-3 anyways), so I donated that 440k you asked for, Reggin. :v:

Also, to add a bit of content to this, for other new players I'll point out something useful. Ship Equipment! Each ship has 3 slots for extra non-research upgrades you can purchase for silver in the shop. They have a variety of useful effects, and unless listed as binding, can be freely removed and swapped between ships. Equipment that is binding, however cannot be removed to use on another ship unless you pay 25 gold, otherwise if you want to remove it you have to trash it. Here is all the equipment in the store:

Ship Equipment:

Range Finder - 50,000
    Increases scouting range by 400 meters.

Custom Hoist - 120,000 BINDING
    Reduce artillery reload time by 10%

Fuel Filter - 35,000
    Increases engine durability by 50%

Anti Aircraft Director - 35,000
    Increases MG hit rate by 5%

Boiler Preheater - 50,000 BINDING
    Increases acceleration by 10%

Electro-hydraulic Steering Gear - 50,000 BINDING
    Increases ship steering performance by 10%

Pressure Cycle Driver - 70,000 BINDING
    Reduces the influence of turret rotation on artillery accuracy by 25%

Composite Gyroscope - 70,000
    Reduces the influence of steering on artillery accuracy by 25%

Anti-torpedo Compartment - 50,000
    Increases Bulge Armor by 10%, but reduces maximum ship speed by 5%

Heavy Armor - 50,000
    Increases deck and belt armor by 10%, but reduces maximum ship speed by 5%

High Sensitivity Amplifier - 50,000
    Increases sonar range by 10%

Hyper Pulse Generator - 50,000 BINDING
    Reduces sonar detection interval time by 1 second

Drop Tank - 120,000
    Increases aircraft cruising range by 20%

Chain Loader - 120,000 BINDING
    Decreases torpedo reloading time by 10%

Big Fire Control Radar - 150,000 BINDING
    Increases main artillery aiming speed by 5%

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

QUOTE IS NOT EDIT :downs:
Also apparently the only British ships that will be included in this upcoming update are destroyers and carriers... Damnit, I wanna wreck pubbies in THE Dreadnought. :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Made a semi-useful discovery. When selling a ship, you can choose to not sell the research upgrades you've purchased for it, letting you reinstall them on the ship if you repurchase it later without having to pay for the upgrades again. Of course, this is only useful if you think you may want to use the ship again in the future and you obviously don't get money back for the parts you don't sell.

Still it might be useful to someone I guess?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

HMS Dreadnought is the only battleship to ever sinking a submarine, which it did via ramming attack. :britain: Thats another reason I'm sad I won't get British Battleships in the next update.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

:spergin: notes: The Wyoming in game seems to have its post-1920s refit appearance and armaments, but its pre-refit deck armor. The Wyoming's deck armor is thinner than the Florida's according to the stats cards.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Too close! :stonk:

Though honestly, this sums up my night far better:

Has anyone experimented with using HE ammo on any ships against any targets? I keep telling myself I should try to load HE when shooting at Destroyers with larger ships, but I never remember to do it in the heat of the moment.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 22, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Atlanta is a good ship. Now if only it had the fused AA shells for the main guns. :allears:

(Edit) I've been equipping my ships with one set each of fire extinguisher, repair parts and smoke bombs, but fires have been so uncommon I'm thinking of swapping out the extinguisher for more smoke as 3 can get used up awfully fast. What are other people carrying in their utility item slots?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 23, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

HFX posted:

They could let you set the safe range but have 20% chance to randomly turn or explode early.

Just imagine the horror if they allowed Torpedoes to make proper Gyro turns. :v: High tier German torpedoes making ladder runs, US torpedoes circling and sinking their own subs, etc Firing fore/aft torpedoes all at a target in your broadside...

Thankfully they don't do that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The fleet can be upgraded again, thanks to the efforts of Feindfeuer, the most power of bottoms.

It cannot, we're short XP. Goons need to sink more ships!

I think I'm getting the hang of playing DDs and CLs though.

I need to play more like a scout (duh) and less like a torpedo and cannon armed berserker. Hover 3-4 km from the battleship cluster and just watch likely avenues of approach, avoid enemy cruisers (They will devour your DD), engage enemy Destroyers/Subs where opportunity lets you, and find stuff for the BBs to sink.

Catching a submarine in a spread of torpedoes and watching him try to dodge in vain instead of go deep is hilarious.

The Bagley seems almost worse than the Mahan for some reason. All its gets is one extra quad launcher (for two each side instead of one each and a shared launcher) but has worse gun arcs, and only one AA gun.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed to learn how the rarity upgrade works. I thought if you got a duplicate commander he gets promoted an extra star. Nope, you just get 20 points and it takes 300 points to upgrade from 2 stars to 3 stars. Oh hey, its 1000 Q.points for going from 3 to 4! :suicide:

[edit] Got two of my favorite Kaiserliche Marine officers.

Warning History Sperg: Hipper is, of course, famous for leading Germany's battlecruisers during the Battle of Jutland. Luckner, however, is less known. He was the captain of the SMS Seeadler a 3-masted sailing ship (with auxiliary steam engine) that fought as a commerce raider during WW1. She captured/scuttled 16 merchants during her raiding (With only a single crewmen of those ships being killed in the process) only to be wrecked in an accident (either a typhoon or accidentally running aground while most of the crew and the prisoners were having a picnic on an island :allears:, depending on who you ask). This was not the end of his adventures either!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 24, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Are battle items single use or do they stay forever? What about those 10% upgrade items? Can you move them to new ships?

Fire extinguishers, smoke bombs, repair parts, etc are one-use items (though several to a stack usually) and must be replaced after each battle (there is an option to have this done automatically). Their cost is pretty inconsequential after a tier or two.

The ship equipment parts are not consumables, and can be freely switched between ships unless the part is marked as binding, in which case the only way to remove it is to trash it or pay 25 gold to remove it (it'd be cheaper to just purchase another).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I will be on in a few minutes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Does Mastery in a ship actually do anything or is it just a cool star that shows how awesome you are?

You can select "Quick Training" or something like that in the upper left of the port screen (above the commander icons) and all the ship XP you earn with that ship in future games will be spread among the commanders you used with it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Logged in this evening and played one game (which crashed on me about halfway through). When do we get those Funbucks, tomorrow? There was no event or anything...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

American submarines have ice cream machines what do the nazis have that can beat that? Besides (mostly) working torpedoes? :911:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If it modeled how lovely American Torpedoes are, it'd also have to model Japanese Subs/Destroyers/Cruisers exploding into fireballs the first time someone scores a crit on their (pure oxygen fueled) torpedo launchers. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 30, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Apparently there are Italian Naval Officers in the game. Maybe there is hope for the Regia Marina afterall. :italy: Doesn't look any good though, besides the scout range increase. Then again, maybe AA buffs can be decent?

By the way, anyone know what those numbers under their portraits mean?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No G & H Class destroyers. Now how will I ram pubbies and claim I'm honoring the valiant heroism of HMS Glowworm?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I wonder how the British Carriers will compare. Maybe when they come in I'll give carriers a go.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It'll be fun to use low-tier British torpedo bombers. :v:

I just hope they aren't too painfully slow.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, it should be interesting. Not sure what they'll use as dive bombers. I mean I know the Swordfish could function as a divebomber but... yeah.

Barracudas I guess. Maybe the Spearfish as a high-tier torp/dive bomber.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Training mode probably has passwords, I would assume. [edit] Yes, training rooms can be passworded.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 5, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Besides the Improved Rangefinder (+400 scout range) what equipment would people recommending slapping on a Destroyer

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Battleships (and somewhat carriers too) are amazingly powerful if they have good spotters and know how to aim (it isn't really hard). If they're blind and relying on their own spotting ability, they're pathetic.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

However, its gonna take a while to be able to get the Tier 7 and Tier 8 payouts, given no one really plays above tier 5 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nothing like cruising parallel to the enemies, thinking of all that glorious spotting XP when suddenly "Look out! Torpedo! BOOM". I swear, friendly ships (usually submarines) spamming torpedoes at out of range enemies are responsible for more of my deaths while in a Destroyer than enemies. :sigh:

• Locked thread