Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Danann posted:

Oh wow they're adding magnetic torpedoes into the game. I wonder if they'll also add in a new gimmick for historical battles where it's about 8 IJN destroyers protecting a convoy vs a full team of USN submarines.

The USN torpedoes does a circular run on them.

Does that come with the historical American dud rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So what is the real status of this game? I've just started getting into World of Warships, but as a Castles of Steel grognard I think I'd be really excited about more realism in terms of ballistics, penetration and damage modeling. I'd play Fighting Steel Online if it existed in a heartbeat.

In any case someone told me Steel Ocean is a bit more realistic in these respects, but when I checked the thread here it seemed I was seeing a lot of posts about the game having no population.

Is this being exaggerated? I definitely don't want to start playing, and possibly drop $45 into a game that's going to never pop battles at best and shut down its NA server at worst.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Well, thes

Night10194 posted:

Steel Ocean is not at all realistic and is focused much more strongly on being a good game.

It has a small but relatively stable population and I don't have that much trouble getting matches, though they're usually tiny at high tiers like 8.

The main goal is this game is to position your big ships well, hopefully in a group, and blow the gently caress out of an enemy line that hopefully doesn't know exactly where you are due to outscouting them, killing their scouts, and using aircraft.

I don't expect it to be realistic. That's pretty much impossible for these types of games that don't want 3 hour matches and mix wildly different timeframes.

I was just told the ballistics and armor modeling is better than world of warships.

Of course that could be a totally wrong.

• Locked thread