Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
"bi" means oval office in chinese

Does this game have the WoWS problem where you get lit on fire for all eternity and there is no other sense of gameplay?

I am confused by my main menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Looks like I missed the "log in 20 times" event and won't be getting noted collaborateur Francois Darlan as a crew member. That's a shame.

I applied as "slimjimpickens"

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I feel like the Fubuki is ridiculously good, but I've only played like 4 ships and maybe the free 24h premium is doing some p2w stuff?

Game is fun

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
My god pub destroyers cannot deal with subs.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The fleet can be upgraded again, thanks to the efforts of Feindfeuer, the most power of bottoms.

Det_no posted:

Is there any clear nation that has the best battleships/carriers/cruiser/destroyers/subs or is it too early to tell? Or maybe the game is actually kinda balanced and I'm just scarred from war thunder.

They more or less play the same as the others in their class. Games are fast and you should just take it easy and do whatever your ship class is meant to do.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Stevefin posted:

So as an old Navyfield player. How much is this game like it?

You will never be threatened with your crews' lives if you do not pay2win

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Man, I've gotten nothing but repeats whenever I try for commanders.

Are there any commanders that have been locked out for alpha players or anything? I saw Reinhard von Musel in the gallery and I want him so bad

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

dpidz0r posted:

We made a new first last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUB4v_bNivQ

Watching it again: getting better at torps would be go a long way in the destroyer rush strategy (the fact that that wyoming survived so long with so many destroyers torping it was flat out embarrassing). Is there a way to host private rooms like in tanks? I might pop on later today and try to grab some people to do some experimentation.

Y'all aren't leading enough.

That, or you're launching torps at ships that are moving away from you. It's easy as hell to for them to dodge that.

Anyways I beat the game, guess I'm done with it all.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 5, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

this game is cool, I am applying as Tsurupettan.

what are some good boats or lines to go down? are there any major pitfalls/traps? i am reminded of WoT which had a lot of real loving poo poo tanks.

Destroyers are always pretty fun.

Cruisers are bad until tier 5, the Americans get a good tier 4 cruiser.

Battleships require good aim and leading. A bit of planning too.

Carriers are hard. Subs are a wild card but they're generally slow.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 6, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Night10194 posted:

It's really astonishing and alien to me to see a Japanese DD with guns that work, but the Fubuki's cannons seem to hit like a train compared to the Mahan. I think I'm still stuck thinking of IJN DDs as having lovely guns from World of War Ships.

The Japanese destroyers have a lower arc that makes it easier to hit small ships. They have something similar in WoWs, but in this game they deal proportionally more damage to make up for their slower reload.

Fubuki best ship

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

According to chat, Dark Judge is cheating.

Who knows.

Apparently they do the Chinese clan thing where they will throw a game and then farm their own clanmates for xp. But that isn't really cheating.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Do commander skills stack? Some of their skills have the same name, like "Enhanced Engine", and I need to know if I can pile a bunch of those guys on my Fubuki and have it go 43 knots.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Saturday night seems like a bad time for fleet battle.

How did we do? Do we still get 900 merit? I will not stand for only 720!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to any nation's destroyer lines. Like, certain ships are just better than every other destroyer of the same tier, but their strengths don't follow any pattern. Tier 3 Fubuki is better on every level, tier 6 M-class is the same, tier 8 Akizuki is probably the best, and son.

It's not like there's a rule to torpedo number or gun number or anything either. A lot of high tier ships have 4 torpedoes, and some high tier ships have 15. This game is weird.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Matchmaking in this game really sucks and its the one thing really bringing me down.

Matchmaking is alright if you don't play high tier cruisers.

Platooning in weird/unpopular ship combos isn't convenient but just don't bring that sub/carrier/lightcruiser group and you're fine.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

Just grabbed this game and got the Repulse, for a second I thought I lost it because I had zero credits to actually get it with, but it was there.

Is there anything I should know going in, which premium setup to get and what not? Also, how does crew work and how do you get them?

Also, there is a distinct lack of the Alaska in the US tree, did they ever mention it? EDIT: They mention both it and the Montana in the ship descriptions for US X, do they plan to add them?

You can buy gold based on a fixed money-to-gold price. If you click on the little present icon in the shipyard, you'll see a bunch of prices. Those are one-time packages that you can use to double the amount of gold you purchase. The 6800 gold one is pretty reasonable, but you don't really need gold to play the game. I've mostly spent my gold on ship slots.

The growth plan is the other tab, and it's basically an investment scheme. You buy it with gold, and then get that gold back as you research up the tiers. You also get a bunch of free xp. It's a pretty good deal if you plan on playing the game a lot.

You have to decide whether or not you like the game before you research your first tier 5 ship. It'll be an easy decision imo

Currently the devs are basically giving you free premium all the time. If you get 2 wins in a group/squad/platoon you get 24 hours of premium, and this is a daily event. Also, every week I seem to get 10 matches of premium from the devs as well.

I don't know what the plan for this game is. There's probably some main Chinese forum for it.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I had some free time so I'm throwing down this crew management guide. Please correct me if I get anything wrong!

Getting Crew
You mostly get crew from buying it in the store. Click on the shop and then the "Commander" tab, or click a crew slot and select "Recruit a Commander". The page looks like this:

You can buy commanders with Merit or gold. You can get Merit through events, and monthly/weekly if you play enough or are in a clan. You can get gold through money. The crew you get are random, and I don't know anybody who's bought the 18000 gold list that supposedly gives you more rare crew.

You'll also get some free crew for buying your first tier V ship in a class. They're pretty good.

Crew Management
You can get to the main screen by opening the Barracks, or clicking a crew slot and choosing "Select a Commander"

I HAVE LABELLED THIS FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE
1. The crew of your currently selected ship. The number below their portrait is their skill level.
2. What your crew's skill level is doing to your ship, in their current position. Mouse over a position icon to see this.
3. Select a pre-built crew. You need to make it yourself.
4. Takes you to a new tab where you can make a pre-built crew selection.

Mouse over a commander to see the stuff in the red border.
5. The name of a terrible commander.
6. The skill level of a terrible commander.
7. The promotion level of your terrible commander, in stars.
8. The level of a bad commander that I will never use. If I did, the xp bar would fill up, and his skill level would increase each time.
9. The CP cost of the captain's ability. Press spacebar in-game to use it. I think you gain CP from doing stuff in-game that would give you xp.
10. The requirements to unlock a crew kill. Level is their level, the word is their promotion level.
It goes: Common - Superior - Elite - Excellent - Legendary.
This commander has ludicrous requirements for a mediocre skill.

Crew Promotion
From the barracks, clicking on the "Promotion" tab brings you here.

Drag a commander into the box, and it'll tell you how many qualification points you need to promote them. In my screenshot, I have selected German Admiral and noted war-criminal, Erich Raeder.

You get qualification points for getting repeat commanders from random draws. The extra commander is incinerated and converted into qualification points, which you will need a lot of to promote your commanders up. It costs more and more points to promote higher star commanders.

Click on the eye to get this preview screen.

You can select "Rarity" to get a preview of what abilities you unlock at a given promotion level. Commanders also increase their skill level with each promotion. At Legendary, some commanders get a boost to one of their existing skills.

That's all!

Make sure to train up your crew, goons. Beyond their abilities, skill level is also very important and helps you gain an edge over other players. Try to stay away from bad commanders, don't waste any xp on them because they're usually useless and stay useless.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 25, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ratzap posted:

I finished the Furutaka and bought an Agano. My very first match was exactly what I had been hoping for - the agano is like a powerful destroyer. Fast, turns well and makes subs cry. Over 4200 exp with the stock ship in it's first battle - god it's so good to be out of the Furutaka.

I kinda wish I went for the Agano. The Aoba isn't as awkward as the Furutaka, but it has the same number of guns and isn't great at fighting destroyers.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The Laforey is comically overpowered, in the sense that it is essentially the comically overpowered M-class, but with all its flaws ironed out. I bought one.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I don't want to ask anybody to force themselves to "train" or do virtual gunnery drills or whatever. The skills you need to play fleet battles are basically the same ones you build by just playing normal games.

We still give a decent showing when we lose, and I don't want anyone to feel obligated to treat the game as a job or whatever. I certainly don't want to discourage any new players by demanding they get better for fleet battles (They don't matter very much).

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

dpidz0r posted:

I have terrible (or at least they look terrible to me) DD commanders, do you have an example of what a good DD crew setup looks like?

edit: also, what would you put on a decked out pennsylvania besides custom hoist?

I think I've been lucky enough to pick up a bunch of good DD crew. I'll list them out, but I don't expect everybody to have the same.

Captain - Kaspar Mass. +1 knot and 8% speed and acceleration if captain. His ability lasts for 45 seconds and makes an alert pop up if you get spotted. Also gives 150m of spotting range at lvl 8

Gunner - Mikawa Gunyichi. +10% acceleration to light cruisers and destroyers. Some aim time buffs. I mostly use him because he's already really high level and gives me good aiming buffs.

Steering - Nobody important. Koga Shinsuke gives me +1 knot and a small torp reload thing but it's not amazing. You want some decent skill level for some buffs.

Comms - Arashi

Engineer - Von Luckner. Disguise is good, Von Luckner gives +5% disguise and acceleration.

I like having acceleration buffs because speeding up and slowing down is a good way to screw up aiming battleships. So is running directly away from them and making small course adjustments.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I've played Navyfield and World of Warships. How is this game in comparison? I saw people describing it as "the bastard child of the two" which sounds interesting; having subs definitely sounds interesting and just so many ship classes make it sound like it is very crazy and chaotic.

How does the aiming work? Like WoWs? Would you say it is more or less grindy? I got up to tier VII of each ship type on the American line in WoWs then got bored, but this game has a much wider variety of nations and ship classes which sounds interesting.

Much more arcadey than WoWs. Ships accelerate and turn much faster, you never have to spend much time just to cover the map.

You get an actual aim circle that corresponds to the spread of your shells. For battleships and cruisers, you can aim from this top-down view like artillery in WoT. Also, there's a mechanic where your shots get more accurate as you land more shots in the same area.

The different ship classes have more clear roles than in WoWs. I think it's less grindy because there are lots of dev-given bonuses and costs are lower. Also, the game is just more engaging to play than WoWs. You also feel like you have more input over the course of a game than WoWs

Be warned, if you insult the Quebecers in this game they will spend the entire game shooting you and ramming you instead of anything more productive.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 11, 2016

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Don't do it! I have 5 million ready to go!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Lazermaniac posted:

Applied to the fleet. Is there a set of guidelines on how to not suck with torpedoes? I only seem to be able to hit stationary targets with the drat things.

Make a quick estimate or how far you need to lead a ship, then aim well further than your estimate.

Also if your target isn't poo poo they'll dodge it unless you're really close. Making a ship turn will screw up their aim, which is good

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Platonicsolid posted:

Has anybody been having crash to desktop issues? Hoping this is a known bug and not a hardware issue.

Have of this game's steam forum is bad players accusing Dark Judge of hacking. Nothing of value has ever been discussed there.

The 4chan thread for this game is alright, if you tolerate anime posting.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

I'm switching to this.

Do you get informed if you get banned? I've been getting kicked out of the game a lot lately but my internet is otherwise fine.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Here is a bunch of images that contain information about this game.

http://imgur.com/a/Mf0qp

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Llyranor posted:

When I just started the game, I decided to go on the Japanese line for cruisers because I wanted torpedoes with my cruiser. After a test-driver in the tier4 CA, I don't see what the point of torpedoes is in a heavy cruiser. It steers so sluggishly you'll never hit anything with it. I guess area denial.

I think I'll might go with the US for CAs and Japan for CLs.

The Furutaka has these awful torpedo tubes that are embedded into the ships hull. The next cruisers in the Japanese line have mounted tubes that have good firing arcs

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Llyranor posted:

Is there a way to view the ships prior to buying them? It'd be nice to see gun/torpedo placement.

I don't think so.

Just ask in the thread because there's a few of us who have played up to tier 7 already and know the arcs pretty well.

For the record, I think it's only the Furutaka that has that truly awful torpedo placement, all other ships have mounts with good coverage.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Thanks for the tips. I decided to go ahead and get the 30 day VIP, since I'll have gold rolling in as I tier up.

Do both types of bonuses stack? Can you get +150% xp/silver if you get both time and battle boosts?

No, it's either/or for prem time.

The other bonuses from fleet building and weekly rewards stack though.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Griz posted:

27k damage in a Nevada on a really bad super kitakami and he got mad enough to send me a tell afterwards. most of this was secondaries at 3km as he drove in a straight line failing to torp anyone, plus 2 full volleys of main gun when he got stuck on an island and quickload nazi was ready.

saw him later in regular games and killed his Japanese sub by shooting something that exploded him down to 100 health and then ramming him with a destroyer

I love this guy, he uses the same line every single time he gets killed: "YOUR GUNS HIT THE EXACT SAME SPOTTT !!!!"

Night10194 posted:

Those guys are powerfully bad. How the hell are they so high on the ranking chart? RN drivers are mostly free kills in pubgames.

There are Dark Judge guys that are really awful too. If you have good carrier players with good crew, you can outspot any team that has those missing.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The last noble goon fite

Thanks for playing everybody!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Man, stay the gently caress away from 6/7 platoons when you see tier 8s on.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

Or get a tier 8. You don't need that free XP as bad as I need a scout.

I'm saving my free xp for sensible purchases.

Like planes, dear god you need planes.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Warning: Do not play this game drunk it makes pubbies worse.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Humbaba posted:

Is there any reason to keep the Repulse now that I have an elite Nevada and a Pennsylvania that needs to be leveled?

If you like it. Like me.

There's also good reason to believe that you get more xp than usual in the Repulse because its technically a premium ship. Useful for training crews.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Fleet battles resurge in 20 minutes. Come witness the new advanced goon tactics of "run away and shoot all their planes"

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

It seems to be based entirely on performance, and it expects higher performance as you go up in tier. I would say the best place to get it right now is tier 5 and 6, but you really have to be in the top 3, perferably getting that MVP, as much as possible climb up, especially since the higher tiers you lose 10-20 renown at the start of every day. At tier 7 and 8 it can get really dumb because those 3v3 matches you often pull there isn't enough poo poo to shoot at to really get the renown the game expects you to, so you can lose some even on decent wins.

Playing boats that don't contribute much in the way of spotting or damage will cost you renown pretty often, yes. If you can get to the point you are getting MVP in tier 5 and 6 destroyers like 3 out of every 5 games you will climb fast.

No, not that I've seen. It's all recycled repeat crew, and the rank bonus from admiral or higher come April 1st. 3 star repeats at least give 50 qualification. I'm at 800 now and I spent some gold on crew a couple weekends ago out of boredom. I'm hoping to have some luck with our fleet bonus in a week to break 1000, but I doubt it. It's by far the worst currency grind in the game.

You can turn renown off if you want to grind some stock boats or play some classes you aren't good at. You'll lose the daily penalty, but you won't gain or lose renown from matches. I turn it off whenever I play carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Platonicsolid posted:

We should probably put the Mumble stuff, and some pointers on fleet battles in the OP. I and others have come in rather ignorant, might make FB smoother.

Side note, I see very few British ships out there. Are they all just poo poo, or just too new?

The DDs past tier 5 are extremely powerful gunships (Except the Ca-class), that aim in fast and shoot well. They tend to have very few high-damage aa guns, which isn't the greatest, and also run spare on torpedoes. The tier 9 gets a lolfucksubs 11 depth charge launcher. Brit DDs are very maneuverable and can dodge things ok. They are probably best at killing other destroyers while avoiding big shells.

The CVs are an unknown factor but I see tryhard players grinding up them so who knows if they get good later.

El_Molestadore posted:

Got the Kagero! Which of the guns do I go for? Help me goons!

You can fight tier 8s on relatively equal terms with the expensive 322 damage ones.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 27, 2016

• Locked thread