Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Can you do Navyfield torpedo walls in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
In as Werner Herzdog, I would like to be a Dicks too :dong:

edit: Is there a way to stabilize the scope when you aim, or do just I have to get used to it? Does it wobble as much in cruisers as in destroyers?

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 15, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
How do depth charges work? I dropped one directly onto a submarine and it said "success" but did no damage and I didn't see an explosion.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I wonder if the Nassau secondary battery is a typo. One of the upgraded guns fires 13 rounds per minute, which trivializes destroyers and is near double any of the other tier 2 secondaries.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I saw something about needing to pay gold to go above tier 4 in more than one line per nation, can anyone confirm/deny?

edit: yeah it's the "ship blueprint" items but it's badly translated, anyone know what those do?

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 16, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Junkozeyne posted:

Jap/Japs was used primarily derogatory during and a little after WW2, even in things like newspapers and so on while Nip(s) wasn't really used as such so I can sort of understand why they would filter the one and not the other.

The filter blocks "pee," I don't think a great deal of English fluency went into its development.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Kylra posted:

And lol at all the other battleships that like to stay still so I can take them down blind when they fire. I hope they never learn to use the R and F keys.

I think someone told the pubbies that moving reduces your accuracy, and they believed it. Which is odd because it obviously does not and it takes about thirty seconds of driving a battleship to notice that, but then the average player makes a dinner plate look like an intellectual giant.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
The speed is really one of the best things about this game. In warships you just spend so much time idling. The fighting itself isn't much faster, guns don't fire any faster and ships don't die much faster. Mostly you just don't wait as long for things to happen.

They got the basic gameplay a lot more right than Wargaming did. It's not bonkers multitasking but you almost always have something to do.

I do hope they bother to look at the game balance. Experience is pretty balanced between classes and I never really feel useless, but it takes really disproportionate effort/luck to win against a decent battleship player when you don't have a decent battleship player of your own.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
If you see player name Graven, drive into their ship. You will get a guaranteed multiparagraph angry message.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
More importantly than spotting you, an underwater sub attracts fire from every ship on your team. Chasing subs with your butt or slowing down to sink them is very dangerous if you have torpedo armed teammates nearby. If a friendly sub is near the enemy sub, don't go in unless you know the friendly sub is competent.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
They also all have optimized crews (their destroyers spot ours long before we spot theirs) and spending a pile of money on crews just to fight one fleet is lame. It'd be a lot more productive to work on consistently beating the other fleets, and just lose to the super tryhards as quickly as possible.

If we only wanted to sink one of them we could bring ten fubukis but that sort of defeats the purpose of fleet battles.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

I got to play a Fubuki as the only destroyer on my team, on a favorable map, with passive players on both teams. The only enemy scouts picked the same side of the map as I did, and died right away.
It was a good triple.

Michaellaneous posted:

I play german subs because for me they are the best looking and most iconic subs. No other reason.

Way to ignore the Gato class submarines :911:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I'm not across an ocean from the server and I see a slight delay between clicking and launching the torpedo. Not enough to launch at right angles, but enough to miss embarrassingly at close range if I forget to account for it. Guns don't do it but I think depth charges do.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Olesh posted:

Applied as Olesh; the queues late night are kind of garbage but I'm kind of hoping that will improve? Right now something resembling reasonable queue times is the only thing World of Warships has over this; are queues better during normal prime time? It seems nearly impossible to get in a round with full group of 5 sometimes.

Groups of 5 are a bit of a trap; even during normal prime time it takes a few minutes to get a game. Otherwise, queue times aren't bad if you're not playing higher tiers.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Do you automatically get the lower tier bonuses if you buy a higher tier?
Does buying the 13.6 package for the first time give 13600 (6800+6800) or 17900 (6800+6800+3800+500)?
Are the bonuses attached to the cash values, or does paying $15 still give the 13.6 bonus?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The DC spread on the Tier II (and maybe all) British destroyers is interesting. Takes a second or so for those side ones to get lobbed out that far though, so the timing is a bit weird.

Hedgehogs!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

With the same upgrades/officers, the Tier 3 Brit DD only had a bit over 100m less spotting range than my Fubuki, it isn't that bad on spotting.

Also remember that the average player in this game is a spectacular idiot and does not have the rangefinder, so you'll usually spot them first anyway.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Panzeh posted:

The T3-4 light cruisers that aren't the Atlanta are total dogshit.

The Emden isn't worse than the Fubuki in every way, but it sure comes close. With six ~100 damage guns and an 11 second reload it just takes so long to kill anything.
The high gun penetration is neat and I could see it working on a better ship. Not when you fire about a third as many shells as an Atlanta with less damage per shell, though!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I drove my A-class into the middle of the enemy team, and then my game crashed.

I logged back in and I was still alive.

I got 8600 spotting damage.

:coal:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
How badly is the Ise CV outgunned? It seems like it'd have potential for fleet battle gimmicks, since the battleships shouldn't get focused anyway and having all those planes on your battleships might open some options.

(too bad it costs so much :()

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I'm playing a Hosho and it's not fun because the torpedoes do absolutely fuckall to enemy ships, not even enough to sink a tier 3 submarine with one squadron. Is this a pattern with all (Japanese/US/UK) carriers or is it worth spending free xp on it?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
At least you get 1000 free exp per day just for playing a tier 5 match!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Has anyone ever accomplished anything with the Bayern? I cannot imagine how another ship could possibly be worse - even in tier 6 games I would rather play a Wyoming.

In a 20 knot (after speed commanders) ship every game is a decision between sitting in the back and dealing no damage if your team is aggressive, or following your teammates and dying if they ever decide to turn around.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Ok I applied again to goons as Panfilo. Is the minimum level thing gonna be an issue? It says 'Minimum level: 11'

That's Roman numeral II :v:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
The best way to sink a sub is to shoot it down to 20 health with your main guns right as it surfaces, then watch it dive to avoid your secondaries and immediately sink from lack of air.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

High tier steel ocean.jpeg

That's impressive, winning with Tweedledee on your team.

edit:

Platonicsolid posted:

Has anybody been having crash to desktop issues? Hoping this is a known bug and not a hardware issue.

Every once in a while I crash with no warning in the middle of a game, I have no idea what causes it.
My game also freezes for 15-30 seconds when going from the loading screen to battle and when leaving battle, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Loading times are pretty fast apart from the freezing.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 14, 2016

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Even the "good" pubbies (and probably most of us, including me) do really stupid poo poo with destroyer guns.
Last night I had an otherwise competent Porter try to gun fight a CL instead of spotting it for our CA and BB, then whine all game because "you morons didnt shoot" (at the CL it only spotted for 20 seconds) while we won the match with a CA scouting for a 500 health Nagato proto.

The very next game the same Porter was on the enemy team, and tried to gun fight my Kongo just within my main guns' minimum range instead of launching torpedoes or spotting for its full health Ise teammate.
I sank it with 45 health left and won by cap while the Porter complained that I was "just making the game last as long as possible". :coal:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Also, is there an efficient way to generate silver? I'm in a weird position where the only thing stopping me from getting tier IV DD and BB is a crippling shortage of money.

Ships seem to get more profitable as you go up in tier, at least as far as I've made it.

The Repulse makes a lot of credits too, if you have it. If you don't I've heard that this link still works, even though it was supposed to be removed five days ago. :china:

Also play the super Kitakami game mode on Fridays and Sundays (you need a tier 5, but the Repulse is adequate) and do the daily mission that's two wins in an elite ship for 50000.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Burt posted:

I like this game, but oh gently caress are the queues slow, even at starter level. I'm hoping they get better but I know I will be disappointed won't I?

Tier 3-5 (maybe 6) queues aren't too bad. Above tier 6 hahaha no.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Platonicsolid posted:

In other news, I find I'm starting to max out the level for the US tree. Up to the Nevada on BBs, the Ranger on CVs, will buy the Porter once I have the silver. Subs seem to get demonstrably worse at higher levels and I don't enjoy them as much. Time to switch trees, and if so, to where? Japan seems the obvious choice, I've only done enough to get the Fubuki there. Are there gems lying in the British or German trees?

All the Japanese ship lines are worthwhile, although there's nothing really outstanding on the cruiser line until tier 6. Battleships are good all the way from tier 2-5 (but the tier 6-7 don't look that impressive) and destroyers are consistently good all the way up.
The British destroyers are fine but if you're stopping at tier 5 you miss the better half of them.
The German battleships are good from tier 7 up but you have to go through a whole lot of poo poo to get there. The tier 5 cruiser isn't bad but the rest of that line generally is.

If you want submarines play Japan and ram idiots in U-boats.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Putting your battleship on top of a sub is pretty funny but not usually the best choice. Unless it's on the surface and you can ram kill it.

Also subs will do better if you platoon them with someone in a longer range shooty boat to kill enemies that get close to the sub. It's still a crapshoot though.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Panfilo posted:

How did they balance Monty in WoWs? In Navyfield it was also Montanta, H44, and Super Yamato at the end of the respective nations I believe.

In WoWS the Montana is balanced by having poo poo armor, gun penetration, and accuracy (because every US battleship has the same accuracy, and every Japanese battleship has the same accuracy, and all US battleships are less accurate), so Yamatos can hit it for full damage while it does nothing in return. It doesn't get the 16" super heavy shells. I do not think WoWS made much of an attempt to balance the tier 10 battleships. Or anything else, really.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 9, 2016

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I heard you don't get spotting xp if you are spotting a ship getting damaged while it's inside smoke. People are complaining it's hard to get renown in high tiers because people smoke so aggressively.

Is there any truth to this?

If you spot a ship, a teammate fires at it and then it smokes and disappears you don't get the spotting damage. It counts as if the teammate was spotting their own target.

It's pretty annoying, the other day I had a game where I lost something like 13k spotting damage because the ships I was spotting kept premium smoking and sitting still. I don't really care about renown and you're still winning the game for your team, but it would be nice to get credit for it instead of placing last.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

I don't remember seeing it anywhere in the first few pages, but can anyone tell me what the two torp speeds mean? Is that a range they can fly at, or is one a at launch speed while the other is the cruising speed?

The first speed is the real speed, the second speed is for premium torpedoes.
There's no reason to use premium torpedoes.

ATP_Power posted:

Any tips for an aspiring cruiser player? So far I've found I've had the best success by sticking with my capital ships and trying to frag destroyers while running like hell or smoke bombing if a battleship gets a bead on me. I have the Konigsberg 1915 right now and I've found it too slow to do primary anti sub duty, I find myself a sitting duck too often chasing after them.

I'm just playing normal mm with buddies, nothing competitive.

Cruisers up to tier 3 (tier 4 for the Germans) are pretty bad. You hardly out gun destroyers and you're much easier to see and hit.
Play it like a bad destroyer that can't scout I guess, shoot at destroyers and enemies that are fighting someone else. You can shoot HE at destroyers to do a bit more damage.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Update: Nagato Proto stops sucking when you upgrade the guns and secondaries. A penetration is doing 800+ damage and a bounce is still doing 250.

Nah it's still garbage. The Kongo 1931 is fine with the same slow firing/high damage setup, but the Nagato Proto does less damage for its tier, is slower, and dies faster.
Compared to the Ise you sacrifice a lot of damage over time (Proto does ~10% less damage per minute, and is a tier higher) and your scout plane, and all you get for it is an extra knot and marginally better secondary guns. If the Ise had the same health it would be a much better tier 6 than the Nagato Proto (the BBV is better in every meaningful way, too).

The Nagato Proto might be OK if it had something like 720 damage per bullet, Ersatz Yorck range or noticeably better penetration. Maybe two of the three.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Vatek posted:

My ingame is Vatek.

If I want heavily armored BBs like the brits in NF, which line do I take? I see there's some commanders that give armor boosts.

There's nothing armored like the British could get in NF, I'm pretty sure even with commanders and equipment battleships will still penetrate you regularly. AP is the general purpose ammo instead of HE, too. I haven't tried stacking all the armor bonuses though.

That said, the Nevada (US tier 5) has good armor and is a good boat besides. US battleships are a good choice in general.

I would say the US battleships are the most durable for low to middle tiers, but I think Japan takes over at some point past tier 6. Britain is coming tomorrow so maybe they'll change things.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
The game translates Dreadnought as Intrepid. :china:

If only the world of warships official forum spergs played this game, so we could see their reactions.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
The Orion is really good. It does Kongo amounts of damage but fires a lot faster. I think it might be better than the Wyoming for fleet battles.

I'm not there yet but I'm not sure about the Revenge. I don't see how it beats the other tier 5 battleships. Doesn't look terrible though. At least the Queen Elizabeth looks pretty good.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I think sometimes your shell hits a turret or something with extra armor, and bounces off a ship it'd normally have penetrated. I think this also happens when your shell goes over and hits a bit of superstructure.
The US battleships mostly have their guns packed close together and the deck is full of superstructure so that would happen a lot.

I don't know how the superstructure works, because you can hit it for full damage with a destroyer gun but battleship guns don't always do full damage on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
If anyone has Hawkeye (+200 m spotting range for planes) use them. It makes a big difference. I think Spruance is the only one that doesn't need promotion to get it though, and he's a four star.

One of the two stars adds something like 8% torpedo bomber damage if you promote him to three stars, I guess you could use him if you don't have anything better to do with the qualification.

• Locked thread