Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Applied as Kampkraft

I really like that even low tier battleships can hit something and not hope that RNGesus is there to save them that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

I might have "accidentally" cleared the applications. If you didn't get, once more unto the breach good friend :shobon:

It's ok on my end, I'm in the fleet.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Meanwhile in WoWS, battleships are made of the most combustible materials on earth. :kingsley:

They also find it hard to hit the broadside of a barn.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pacra posted:

CLs are certainly the trickiest ship type to play in this game; Kampfkraft would be our best CL player currently, he may have some tips and tricks for surviving and succeeding.

I like to think I'm more of a destroyer captain than a CL captain. :blush:

That said, I guess here's a few tips that could help on the Omaha:

- Gunnery. The faster you sink the enemy destroyer, the safer you are since battleships can't shoot what they can't see. The best way of achieving this is good shooting. In its tier try aiming for the front section of the destroyer where you are more likely to hit. Another trick is to pre-aim where the enemy destroyer will be and not use the right click follow enemy thing since it does impact your accuracy more noticeably. Using HE will also help out against destroyers since those shells tend to have enough penetration against destroyers Omahas are likely to face.

- Sub Hunting: To be frank this is probably where I get most of my kills from. Torpedoes are damaging but can be tricky to aim (in addition to probably killing someone who's about to drop depth charges on them). Aim for the reflection up top when using torpedoes, not at the wireframe at the bottom. Ramming is also a good way to deal loads of damage, although if you're low on HP it may also kill you too as some subs are pretty big. Depth charge, aim for the reflection on top as with torpedoes. If there's no battleship using the sub as a spotter, take your time and remember that you can chase them even when reversing.

- With torpedoes, while you cannot really go after battleships with them you can force someone to maneuver. Forcing someone to steer into a battleship salvo is just as effective as hitting with your torpedoes. Just make sure that there's no friendly about to run into your torpedo wall when you do a torpedo run.

That's all I can think of for now. I basically play them like big destroyers that are exceptionally susceptible to battleships.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Groggy nard posted:

So I kind of am not so good at BB's compared to my preferred DD/Atlanta/Submarines but my first match of the day yielded this on a non respawn match

The Rhino is Woundless hero :psyduck: I am not that good at BB's what is I don't even

It's always the pubbie with torpedoes that manages to teamkill someone.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I think we need more practice with torpedoes given the dismal results of the last video.

:v:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's main battery can catch destroyers pretty easy because of the high velocity of its shells. It can also deal decent damage to battleships too if you can get a good hit on the stacks.

Basically you shoot at everything and anything. Although preferred targets tend to be cruisers and carriers because those are easier to hit and penetrate.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pubbies are very salty about Dark Judge

Goons on the other hand don't seem to be worth talking about.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Renown counts towards that military rank thing up by the corner near your name. You can basically ignore it as long as you keep doing battles since it's basically another way of getting free stuff every odd month or so.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Mazz posted:

We lost a string of bad games to lovely DDs yesterday, including a tier 7 who went out of his way to gently caress up a winnable game.

These games make me start to think Eugenics isn't such a bad idea.

As a DD captain it's pretty rage-inducing because you're spectating an idiot who will defy meeting the standards of a low bar.

I blame Warships for idiot ninja DDs. :suicide:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Running elite ships is nice for a quick boost of silver and occasionally you can finish off two or more events with an elite ship. Right now running an elite Atlanta two times will get you the 50000 silver event plus the 90 merit event.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Are 5v5 battles only on Sundays?

Going to see if I can get in on some Fleet action on Tuesday. I usually am just getting home from work when it starts, so I'll try and get online as soon as I can.

Friday and Sunday are the days for 5v5 battles.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Little Abigail posted:

I thought it was on Tuesday?

Checking ingame, 5v5s are Thursdays and Sundays. Fleet Battles are Tuesdays and Saturdays. Mondays and Fridays is the Overlord (aka Super KitKats day) event.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

If you guys want to go maximum tryhard, it seems 5v5 is mode to do so.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

FYI: There are now two time periods for fleet battles. The new time period for fleet battles is starting in roughly 20 minutes as of this post and lasts for two hours. This is in addition to the old time period.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Groggy nard posted:

Fixed that for you.

I'm still surprised that we didn't manage to torpedo each other outside of sudoku.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Protip to enemy DDs: I am in a Bagley. If you use your guns, you can probably outshoot me. Trying to torpedo me just leads to you getting shot, with my guns, while I avoid your torpedoes.

This keeps happening! Other DDs just completely forget they can shoot me or CLs that aren't Atlanta ignore me!

Personally I blame World of Warships for this.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

When in doubt, throw more Goons at the enemy.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I think Mass is one of 1800 merit commanders you can buy outright. I think he comes if you buy a level 5 DD too IIRC.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Llyranor posted:

Are tier 5 battles almost ways >50% BBs? Sure feels like it.

Like heavy tanks, battleships are pubbie catnip. It's what makes playing cruisers annoying because battleships are always guaranteed, but at least they can nominally contribute more than a lovely pubbie destroyer.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

You had one job team. ONE JOB. :suicide:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Fleet battles are on, get your two wins if you haven't already had them.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's pretty dicey to do torp runs against battleships tier 4 and up. It's not uncommon to have six+ secondaries per broadside and their range and damage also goes up.

That said, pubbie BBs are adverse to left clicking so you can get away with things you're not supposed to.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I would hesitate to call the Furutaka decent though. :v:

Also the Atlanta uses the same gun as US destroyers so don't load HE in the Atlanta since it's hard to penetrate most ships with 5-inch HE in your MM range. Just load AP and blaze away at everything.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Colorado can't be that bad it misses a grid square... right?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Weekdays are when Goon fleet dies it seems like. We might be able to get a fleet going on Saturdays and people for groups on Fridays.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I think carrier fighters shooting down planes count towards the event? I've seen screenshots of carriers with anti-air net and I doubt it's because they used the manual aa to get that. If it does count towards it then being guaranteed carrier games means you will always have quite a few planes to shoot down.

Here's hoping you enjoy bogues and hoshos. :cheeky:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I'm finding decent matches at roughly 6:00 PM PST.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Take your time Mazz, you don't need to burn yourself out on a F2P game that you can come back to.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Are there going to be any Goons online for 5v5s tonight?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

We couldn't quite find enough goons to do fleet battles so we split up into groups. Somehow this resulted in a game where I topped my team's leaderboard after doing mostly ramming damage in the Kongo.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I forgot that today was when they give out Fleet Battle rewards. When do they give out the rewards for 5v5 battles again?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Peak steelocean.jpg matchmaking.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I find doing both events is viable if you have a large selection of boats to use. Play one non-elite boat of USA and Japan, and then play elited boats to wrap up the events plus Elite Attack.

It also reminds me that I should probably think about using the gold consumables one day. It's just sitting in my inventory and I keep forgetting to use them in 5v5s.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Pubby DDs are disappointing, whichever side they're on.

We had one today who tried to hide behind us BBs instead of scout at T6. He was our only light scout craft. Guess how that game went!

Similarly, I had a Bagley get to within 1.5km of my Kongo, miss all 8 torps (but I was facing away, having seen him coming, so that's understandable) and then get turned and try again when my HE secondaries failed to kill him on the first volley. He managed to miss every single torpedo at 700m from a BB. Every single one. Then get vaporized by my Secondaries.

I'm not sure which is worse to end up with: pubbies who can't click on boats or pubbie DDs. They will both lose you the game in the most painful way possible.

God help you if you get both. :shepicide:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BMXXLApnCQ

That ram by the pubbie at ~9:40 is something I can see happening way too often already.

It also seems like they're changing how salvo firing torpedoes will work out now, unless there's a macro/option that non-Chinese speakers are unaware of.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Winning two KitKat matches will net you 5k free xp and it doesn't take that much to get 2k free xp on the daily kills ranking.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's fine, I ran around the sub, killed their battleships, and finished off the sub that the incompetent pubbie DD couldn't kill.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

That sync-dropped T6 game with Goons was amazing. Although stopping into torpedoes was a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

New update is officially announced.

British BB lineup.

Did someone just snip the history descriptions straight from wikipedia?

• Locked thread