Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm in support of the following ideas:
- no theme
- 2 page spread per
- merciless culling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

alkanphel posted:

An overall theme wouldn't really work since our photos all have a wide spread of themes, which in itself is what would make the zine interesting. Considering you're the one who initiated this Dorkroom zine and are pretty much most of the work, I think you can be the one to do the curation and rejections. Those who aren't happy with your rejections can go start their own zine :P

So yeah, I'd go with your submit 5 photos idea and then you pick the best 2 for the zine. You'll also probably want to cap the number of participants to maybe 30 so that this doesn't get out of hand.

PS: If you're not comfortable being the curator, I nominate 365 Nog Hogger, who is the Official Dorkroom Mod-Approved Arbiter Of What Is And Is Not Art.

I nominate the autist since he doesn't get art, maaaaaaaaaaaaan

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

bobmarleysghost posted:

I'm in support of the following ideas:
- no theme
- 2 page spread per
- merciless culling

e:

Pukestain Pal posted:

i support this nomination bc i know this dude in real life and he has a strong sense of appreciating what people are going for and the how/why something does/doesn't work on a lot of levels :cheers:

jeromas
Aug 30, 2007

All full. Is that it? Naw, I don't think so. I think you're too scared to be eatin'.
College Slice
I'm in if it's not too late.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Technically I am not the approved arbiter for 2015 or 2016 according to my title.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Technically I am not the approved arbiter for 2015 or 2016 according to my title.

Well a Nobel Prize winner is a still a Nobel Prize winner, regardless of the year :P
But I'm also down with the autist as the curator, he knows his stuff.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pukestain Pal posted:

Thirding (fourthing?) this nomination.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008

unpacked robinhood posted:

This is a pretty good attempt, maybe with the black text overlapping differently so it masks less of the white, or have only some letters go over, maybe ?

e
but with better fonts

I like this.

And I'd be interested in a spot, should any still be available.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Pukestain Pal posted:

If he's keen, the job is his. Worth bearing in mind that whoever curates is going to have to sift through roughly 200 shots assuming everyone submits their best five.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

If the cover image is going to be picked from the submissions, would it be better to choose it from the final set of photos, then base the cover design on it?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

alkanphel posted:

If the cover image is going to be picked from the submissions, would it be better to choose it from the final set of photos, then base the cover design on it?

Agreed.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

This is a pretty good attempt, maybe with the black text overlapping differently so it masks less of the white, or have only some letters go over, maybe ?

e
but with better fonts

im willing to bikeshed this poo poo into the ground but i hope we stay away from clever typeface fuckery, keep it simple and consistent or get a good credentialed designer in here. mixing typefaces for a logo is somewhat of a faux pas if you dont have a reason to do so, so is moving hte last two letters of the title around for no reason

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

elgarbo posted:

If he's keen, the job is his. Worth bearing in mind that whoever curates is going to have to sift through roughly 200 shots assuming everyone submits their best five.

I'm down

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mido posted:

im willing to bikeshed this poo poo into the ground but i hope we stay away from clever typeface fuckery, keep it simple and consistent or get a good credentialed designer in here. mixing typefaces for a logo is somewhat of a faux pas if you dont have a reason to do so, so is moving hte last two letters of the title around for no reason

Yeah I think I mostly like your flat color surface on a regular picture idea. Someone who knows what he's doing can pick a nice font

vvv yeah ok this is good.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 17, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

My best effort based on previous feedback. It's just two weights of the font Lato.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 17, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

My best effort based on previous feedback. It's just two weights of the font Lato.

Yeah I quite like this one. Simple and good.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

this is really good and i like it but i also like the two tone/transparent thing with the reciprocity failure curve, would it be lovely and bad to incorporate that?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

elgarbo posted:

This but the cover picture is that picture of ansel in the pool.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Cliché suggestion: distress (via transparency) the -RE / lower right corner in a way that mimics cocked-up wet printing.

edit:

apologies for the terrible removal of the previous logo using content-aware fill. Texture from here.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 17, 2015

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

:coolfish:

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
If it's not too late, I'm in.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

agreeing with this

except i dont think the typeface on the bottom doesn't seem to handle that level of strength very well

e:

spitballin again. i dont like how the last family handled their Fs and Es, i'm not sold on the one i picked here either, the capital C doesnt kern well against the A in RECIPROCAL, elements of the last attempt were better

edit 3: fixed

edit 4: the family is "Avenir Next", it's a good one but when you start dicking with the kerning like i am here you'll have to end up manually kerning every letter because it does goofy things when spread this far apart.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 17, 2015

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Put me in, coach

Also that cover owns

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm in.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

here's a variation with the two title lines closer together vertically with "overlay" on the top, by chance it looks p good with this specific photo, a bit gimmicky imo, just playing around

edit:

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 17, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Alright. I think the cover's settled now. So who's going to start the wiki?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i think that is the end of my walk down this path of variations.

this is sloppy but a quick draft of another type of title:

it's a bit different but separates the title from the cover photo a bit, making them different concepts on some level instead of designed together. it's a hit/miss kind of approach and my mockup doesn't do it justice. i dont think this particular typeface survives well in this particular mock

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

The edge of the pool is close to the falloff in the reciprocity failure graph. I vote this over the second option.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I like everything about this cover except the uneven spacing between the letters in the words. Mido what font did you use?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

elgarbo posted:

I like everything about this cover except the uneven spacing between the letters in the words. Mido what font did you use?

go for it, Avenir Next Condensed Ultra Light for the top part, and Avenir Next Condensed Medium for the bottom part. the uneven spacing definitely needs to be cleaned up by hand

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What if you put the type up at the top?:

Ignore my font, I used it cause I didn't have the one you used.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

bobmarleysghost posted:

What if you put the type up at the top?:

Ignore my font, I used it cause I didn't have the one you used.

I like that.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Hey guys wait for me I'm in too

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Okay guys, we're making some rad progress on this thing. We can keep tinkering with the cover, but now it's time to talk about what we want to achieve with this magnificent publication.

Basically - do we want it to be strictly available for Dorkroom goons? If so, are we happy for those goons to purchase as many copies as they like to try to onsell for HUGE profits?

Or do we want to collectively try to sell this thing for fat stacks of cash and share the profits between everyone involved? If so, there are two options... We all collectively take on the risk of getting extra copies printed that may not be sold, or we absolve ourselves of risk and do a preorder type thing through Kickstarter?

Thoughts?

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

We can make a kickstarter, get money, print the magazine, throw it in the trash, then six months later mail the trash to half of the kickstarter patrons.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Just goons seems a lot easier to deal with. I'd be happy with that.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm cool with also pawning it off to random popular photography blogs, for exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm honestly happy with whatever and don't have an opinion with what will be done with it.

I'd probably just buy one for me and 1-2 other people if we could, but if we can't then whatever.

• Locked thread